TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

Happy with the pick. Was deffo best of what was left. He was the only talent on that college team so was having to carry and ball hog some. Should be backup for Fultz straight away with a view to playing alongside him in the backcourt when he's ready. Going to need a lot of coaching to sort out some of those issues he has but he can score and we need that in spades. Glad to see FO finally went away from long forwards!

1 minute ago, MagicFanDan said:

I don’t think 1 injury riddled year at UNC with little talent around you should define you. 

He was a consensus top 5 pick coming out of high school. The talent to be much more than a bench scorer is there. 

Dude where did I say it would define him? I'm not saying he's definitely just a bench scorer. I said 'theres a chance' he's just a bench scorer and implied that he's still a great pick regardless. I think there's also a chance he's an all star guard. Austin Rivers also had a lot of hype coming out of college, underperformed a little at a big school, went late in the lotto and guess what he's a bench scorer? 

It doesn't mean I think Cole can't be anything more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Dude where did I say it would define him? I'm not saying he's definitely just a bench scorer. I said 'theres a chance' he's just a bench scorer and implied that he's still a great pick regardless. I think there's also a chance he's an all star guard. Austin Rivers also had a lot of hype coming out of college, underperformed a little at a big school, went late in the lotto and guess what he's a bench scorer? 

It doesn't mean I think Cole can't be anything more.

Touché. Valued, comparison in pedigree to Austin Rivers. 

In all, we have something to be optimistic about and that’s all I really wanted tonight. 

• Like 1

Post-Draft Analysis

“On the hunt for a guard to complement Markelle Fultz, the Magic elected to pull the trigger on Cole Anthony, one of the most explosive scorers in the draft.

Anthony saw his stock fall out of the top five in an injury-plagued and inefficient season. His perimeter shooting ability and unbridled confidence as a scorer will allow him to play behind as well as alongside Fultz, who has ample size to defend shooting guards, making for a potentially highly potent backcourt.” -- Jonathan Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/rounds

• Like 1

What I love about this pick is that it signals a turn in the road in our identity. We’ll now be able to play like Toronto and Portland with two dynamic guards. Let’s go!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Fultz and Cole running the court together in transition will be fun. 

I can see him becoming a fan favorite type player 

2 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

He will certainly put butts in seats (when allowed). 

And while healthy. That is my biggest concern about him, but I am happy.

4 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Hopefully this will light a fire of passion within Mo.

It really might because by all accounts Cole really cares about winning and competing.