TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

Courtney was barely a rotational starter, if that. His contract runs out this offseason, doubt you will see him again. Herro had a great season, no other way to look at it. Even if he was in the perfect situation. 

second round draft picks currently in the NBA:

Draymond Green

Nikola Jokic

Malcolm Brogdon

Kris Middleton

Spencer Dinwiddie

Bogdon Bogdanovich

Montrezl Harrell

Joe Harris

Monte Morris

Danny Green

Jae Crowder

Jerami Grant

Ivica Zubac

Dwight Powell

best Magic second round draft picks:  Anderson Varejao, Zaza Pachula, Kyle O'Quinn, and Wes Iwundu.

• Upvote 1

Whom will the Orlando Magic select with the 15th overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft? The Athletic’s John Hollinger has a prediction: wing Aaron Nesmith of Vanderbilt.

In a mock draft published Tuesday, Hollinger predicted Nesmith will be the Magic’s first-round choice, assuming the Magic do not trade up or down.

Nesmith would address two obvious needs for Orlando.

First, he would add shooting. Nesmith drained 52 percent of his 115 3-point attempts last season as a sophomore. Yes, you read that correctly: 52 percent is not a typo, although it did occur during an injury-shortened season (more on that later). Shooting and floor spacing have never been more important in the NBA, and the Magic need help in both areas. The Magic made 34 percent of their 3s last regular season, ranking 25th in the league.

Second, Nesmith would fill a positional need on the wing. Evan Fournier seems likely to exercise his player option for the upcoming season, but even if he returns for 2020-21, Orlando potentially would have a hole on the wing for 2021-22 and beyond.

The Magic front-office tandem of president of basketball operations Jeff Weltman and GM John Hammond value positional size and length, and Nesmith possesses both qualities. He stands 6-foot-6 and has a 6-10 wingspan.

He is a spectacular shooter who can play shooting guard or small forward, and he can make shots on the move.

No player is perfect, and Nesmith is no exception. He suffered a season-ending stress fracture in his right foot in January. He is a willing defender but is not known as a stellar defender. Finally, his assist numbers are less than ideal, and as Hollinger wrote back in May, “The biggest concern is that once he puts it on the floor the other (four) players might as well be invisible.”

In his mock draft, Hollinger has combo guard Killian Hayes of a German team, wing Isaac Okoro of Auburn, wing Devin Vassell of FSU, point guard Kira Lewis of Alabama and wing Saddiq Bey of Villanova going off the board in the five picks preceding the Magic. I would think any one of those five players would interest the Magic if they are available at No. 15.

Other perimeter alternatives went off the board from 16 through 22 in Hollinger’s mock, including combo guard R.J. Hampton, who played in New Zealand last season; point guard Cole Anthony of North Carolina and guard Theo Maledon of France.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, though: I don’t think the Magic should be drafting for need. I think the team would be better off drafting the player with the highest upside regardless of position, as long as that player has a legitimate chance of reaching that upside.

If such a player also fills the team’s needs, that would be ideal.

It certainly is possible that Nesmith would be such a player: a high-level shooter who also shores up one of Orlando’s weak spots.

https://theathletic.com/2189814/2020/11/10/orlando-magic-mock-draft-aaron-nesmith/

I don't think Nesmith will be there at 15

The Orlando Magic are in basketball purgatory, good enough to qualify for the playoffs and maybe win a game, not good enough to advance past the first round and not bad enough to tank for a top draft pick.

In this hypothetical situation, the Magic are interested in blowing up their core, opting to press the restart button by trading their best players for a top draft pick.

The Warriors can offer a deal revolving around Andrew Wiggins, their second-overall pick in this year’s NBA Draft, both their own and the Timberwolves' first-round picks in 2021 and their $17.2 million trade exception. This package is particularly interesting because Wiggins is set to make upwards of $29 million next season.

The Warriors could use that package to land a combination of Nikola Vucevic, Terrence Ross and Al-farouq Aminu from the Magic. That instantly thrusts Golden State back into championship contention and gives the Magic tools to restart with a player of their choice.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-nba-free-agency-luxury-tax-explained-nets-warriors-20201110-6zh6r54yibauvey67mpsyxq7ue-story.html

Picks 2 and 15 in this year's draft and probably two top 10 picks in next year's loaded draft (Minny and ours) plus a trade exception we could use to be a salary dump and get additional picks?  and still have Isaac, Gordon, and Fultz?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47pl476cunzzlj4ow7hh

51 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-nba-free-agency-luxury-tax-explained-nets-warriors-20201110-6zh6r54yibauvey67mpsyxq7ue-story.html

Picks 2 and 15 in this year's draft and probably two top 10 picks in next year's loaded draft (Minny and ours) plus a trade exception we could use to be a salary dump and get additional picks?  and still have Isaac, Gordon, and Fultz?

Yeah if that was offered you basically have to accept. Assume we would go Wiseman

19 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I've been advocating for us to make a mini-rebuild this offseason but this is beyond my wettest dreams.

Agree that in this scenario we would go for Wiseman at #2, then maybe get Nesmith at #15 to cover Ross's role (or Kira in case we prioritize a PG) and a back-up guard at #45, like Riller, and getting ready for next year's draft, which apparently is impressive in scoring guards/wings (Jalen Green, Jalen Johnson, Terrence Clarke, Ziaire Williams, BJ Boston, Scottie Barnes... not to mention Cade Cunningham).

Not sure GSW would do it though, but it does fit their roster short-term needs very, very nicely. IMO, there are not many players that fit better next to Vuc in the front-court than Draymond and having Ross coming out of the bench for them makes plenty of sense.

Fingers (double) crossed!

30 minutes ago, The Buccaneer said:

Don’t really dig that tbh. 

Don't worry, wouldn't happen anyway. A trade of any of our players for 2 first round picks including this years and next years draft? Plus a 21PPG game scorer. And one pick is #2.

Fantasy! However a fantasy trade with the warriors is the most desirable.  You can say what you want about Wiggins but he is no more a disappointment then most of our players the last 7 years. At least when i look at him i can see a clear path to living up to his potential. Get a little better at the 3 ball, work harder on the perimeter defense. Then simply have a team leader who won't allow him to take bad shots! 

Hmm, too bad we don't have one of those guys.

29 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Don't worry, wouldn't happen anyway. A trade of any of our players for 2 first round picks including this years and next years draft? Plus a 21PPG game scorer. And one pick is #2.

Fantasy! However a fantasy trade with the warriors is the most desirable.  You can say what you want about Wiggins but he is no more a disappointment then most of our players the last 7 years. At least when i look at him i can see a clear path to living up to his potential. Get a little better at the 3 ball, work harder on the perimeter defense. Then simply have a team leader who won't allow him to take bad shots! 

Hmm, too bad we don't have one of those guys.

That’s why I think really he’s probably in the best place for him to maximize his potential. 

• Like 1