TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

On 10/20/2020 at 11:50 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Just saw a completely unsubstantiated (and somewhat ridiculous source wise) rumour that linked us to Jalen Harris and I immediately spent 10 mins trying to find his wingspan. Can't find it and so I'm unable to say whether we'd have any interest in him lol. 

FWIW Jalen Harris was a big time scorer in college who can score from all 3 levels so he'd certainly be interesting as a second rounder or two way guy. 

I was listening to a highlight video and there was an announcer that says he haqs a 7'2 wingspan... i think it was Halliburton they were talking about.

1 hour ago, Gordon MVP said:

Another likely wasted draft

Based on what? Have we had a wasted draft under Weltman and Hammond? (I guess if you think Bamba is a complete bust who can't improve we have)

• Upvote 1

Our FO get memed a lot for the whole long wingspan thing but Masai Ujiri is widely regarded as one of if not the best exec in basketball and here is everyone he's ever drafted (that I could find, I may have missed someone):

Kenneth Faried 6'6, 7'0 wingspan

Jordan Hamilton 6'7, 6'10 wingspan

Evan Fournier 6'6, 6'10 wingspan

Quincy Miller 6'10, 7'1 wingspan

Izzet Turkyilmaz 7'1 (can't find wingspan but can presume it's probably massive)

Bruno Caboclo 6'9, 7'7 wingspan

Deandre Daniels 6'8, 7'2 wingspan

Delon Wright 6'6, 6'8 wingspan

Norman Powell, 6'4, 6'11 wingspan

Jacob Poltl 7'1, 7'3 wingspan

Pascal Siakam 6'10, 7'3 wingspan

OG Anunoby 6'8, 7'2 wingspan

Dewan Hernandez 6'10, 7'2 wingspan

Not a single short armed guy in the group. So this is obviously not just something our front office cares about. And since Weltman came from Toronto it'd make sense for him to share some of their draft philosophy. Looking at that list above I'm pretty hopeful about us finding some good players in this and upcoming drafts. (I actually think Weltman has been fine in the draft so far anyway)

18 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Our FO get memed a lot for the whole long wingspan thing but Masai Ujiri is widely regarded as one of if not the best exec in basketball and here is everyone he's ever drafted (that I could find, I may have missed someone):

Kenneth Faried 6'6, 7'0 wingspan

Jordan Hamilton 6'7, 6'10 wingspan

Evan Fournier 6'6, 6'10 wingspan

Quincy Miller 6'10, 7'1 wingspan

Izzet Turkyilmaz 7'1 (can't find wingspan but can presume it's probably massive)

Bruno Caboclo 6'9, 7'7 wingspan

Deandre Daniels 6'8, 7'2 wingspan

Delon Wright 6'6, 6'8 wingspan

Norman Powell, 6'4, 6'11 wingspan

Jacob Poltl 7'1, 7'3 wingspan

Pascal Siakam 6'10, 7'3 wingspan

OG Anunoby 6'8, 7'2 wingspan

Dewan Hernandez 6'10, 7'2 wingspan

Not a single short armed guy in the group. So this is obviously not just something our front office cares about. And since Weltman came from Toronto it'd make sense for him to share some of their draft philosophy. Looking at that list above I'm pretty hopeful about us finding some good players in this and upcoming drafts. (I actually think Weltman has been fine in the draft so far anyway)

Interesting to note that of the players that have turned into something really good (and while the record is solid it's not bullet proof - proving as usual noone is) that it has taken each of these guys a few years to get going. Yet we have a fan base who has done nothing but beat the hell out of Mo. Why people cannot be patient with these young kids (And they are) is beyond me.

6 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Interesting to note that of the players that have turned into something really good (and while the record is solid it's not bullet proof - proving as usual noone is) that it has taken each of these guys a few years to get going. Yet we have a fan base who has done nothing but beat the hell out of Mo. Why people cannot be patient with these young kids (And they are) is beyond me.

I agree. And to be clear I think there's a decent chance Bamba is a bust relative to where he was drafted but he's also 22 and had his first two seasons in the league interrupted by injury and covid. This season he improved both from 3 and from the line while increasing his rebounding and blocks on a per minute basis. That's not nothing. 

On 10/22/2020 at 11:24 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Based on what? Have we had a wasted draft under Weltman and Hammond? (I guess if you think Bamba is a complete bust who can't improve we have)

What draft haven’t we wasted this far?

On 10/29/2020 at 3:23 PM, CTMagicUK said:

My 2020 draft crush Mason Jones has apparently now got a 36 inch vert. I will literally lose my **** if we draft him at 45.

I'm not sure I buy any of these "combine" measurements. Some of the stuff coming out is insane. Udoka Azubuike is 7 feet tall with a 7'7 wingspan and a 41 inch max vert apparently. I don't know what to make of that... 

On 10/28/2020 at 10:00 AM, CTMagicUK said:

We worked out Kira Lewis Jr. this past week per Wasserman.

This guy’s draft profile sounds great