TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/09/21/nba-rumors-kyle-lowry-could-land-with-bucks-in-potential-three-team-deal-with-raptors-and-magic/

Trade Rumor for draft day:

Toronto Raptors get: Eric Bledsoe, Ersan Ilyasova and a 2023 first-round pick (via Milwaukee Bucks), the No. 15 pick in the 2020 draft (via Orlando Magic) and Khem Birch

Milwaukee Bucks get: Kyle Lowry

Orlando Magic get: Donte DiVincenzo and the No. 24 pick in the 2020 draft (via Milwaukee Bucks)

1 hour ago, LaVar said:

https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/09/21/nba-rumors-kyle-lowry-could-land-with-bucks-in-potential-three-team-deal-with-raptors-and-magic/

Trade Rumor for draft day:

Toronto Raptors get: Eric Bledsoe, Ersan Ilyasova and a 2023 first-round pick (via Milwaukee Bucks), the No. 15 pick in the 2020 draft (via Orlando Magic) and Khem Birch

Milwaukee Bucks get: Kyle Lowry

Orlando Magic get: Donte DiVincenzo and the No. 24 pick in the 2020 draft (via Milwaukee Bucks)

I’m not sure why the Magic do this move? It’s kind of a sideways move to me, and you drop 9 picks.

8 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I’m not sure why the Magic do this move? It’s kind of a sideways move to me, and you drop 9 picks.

Maybe they like the age, 3 and D of Divin versus the players available at 15. It has been said to be a weak draft class. 

One thing to consider about whoever gets picked is they could quite easily be a dramatically improved player from when they last played.

Most prospects finish playing in late March early April and get drafted in June. Once they get drafted they're focusing on moving, learning the new system and getting used to their teammates. So they really only get 3 or so months to work on their game.

This class quit playing in early March and will have had 8 months to work on their game before they get drafted. RJ Hampton for example there's footage of him shooting and his jump shot mechanics look so much better than they did earlier this year. He could actually have a legit jumper at which point he's a much better prospect than where he's currently mocked. And Hampton has had an extra month to work on his game since his season ended in February. 

On 9/26/2020 at 1:28 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Continuing with the theme of that last post. Tyrell Terry looks significantly bigger (muscle wise) in a recent video than he did at Stanford. 

yup. I was just saying to someone that I could see us getting him. He could also play next to fultz. He is now 6'3" and added 20 pounds of muscle. He is on my radar. great shooter off dribble, off screens and even handling the ball. Ok passer not athletic but competitive. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, LaVar said:

yup. I was just saying to someone that I could see us getting him. He could also play next to fultz. He is now 6'3" and added 20 pounds of muscle. He is on my radar. great shooter off dribble, off screens and even handling the ball. Ok passer not athletic but competitive. 

He's actually a better passer than he's given credit for. In HS he was more of a pass first guy apparently (ive only seen highlights) but at Stanford because he shared the PG duties and played off ball a lot more his coaches asked him to score more. You can still see flashes of great passing out of him though. 

An underrated part of his game is his finishing package. For such a small guy to shoot 65% at the rim in college is huge and it gives you confidence he can be more than just a shooter. 

I also think he's a really nice fit in our offense stylistically. 

Its just whether he fits defensively with what we're trying to build and also whether he's available at 15, I've seen some suggestions his stock is rising. 

We need more beat writers. Haven't found a single prospect who's said we've interviewed them yet (presumably because none of our reporters are covering the combine and asking these questions rather than we're not interviewing anybody).

Desmond Bane has apparently interviewed with 26 franchises but considering he's got a negative wingspan there's actually a chance we're not one of them lol.

Some random thoughts from the past few days, if I'm being honest I was hoping someone would post just so I wasn't posting after myself again in this thread lol:

Found an interview with Matt Lloyd from late Sept where he revealed the Magic had already interviewed over 120 prospects. He also talked a lot about how Lakeland was very important in the plans for our future since Jeff came from Toronto who's G-League team is one of the best run and has helped them a lot (in fairness it was an interview on the Lakeland podcast)

Something to watch for in future drafts is the fact that of the 4 NBA calibre guys Mick Cronin coached at Cincinnati the past few years we brought in 2 of them (Caupain and Clark). Now he's at UCLA and will probably get better recruits he'll probably have more guys getting drafted. He's a defense first coach who seems to like long guys. Might just be a coincidence but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more that Cronin coaches and/or recruits the type of defensive versatility we want. Chris Smith is a 6'9 wing at UCLA who'll be in next year's draft and looks like he could be a Weltman/Hammond type. (Probably not a 1st round guy unless he improves a lot or we're somehow picking in the 20s)

• Like 1