TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

My board for the Magic, excluding guys who almost certainly won't be on the board at 15 is probably:

Pokusevski

Cole Anthony

Tyrese Maxey

Kira Lewis

Tyrell Terry

RJ Hampton

Leandro Bolmaro

Grant Riller

Aaron Nesmith

Theo Maledon

Josh Green

In that order. That middle group of guards of Cole, Maxey, Terry and Kira are all super close and might appear in a different order on a different day. 

I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if the player we drafted wasn't in that group. (Unless of course it's because we somehow got Hayes or Vassell)

• Upvote 1

I can't be bothered to find my list of guys in the second round I posted to quote it but I'd add CJ Elleby to that list. 6'6 wing with an alleged over 7'0 wingspan. We're either drafting that guy or immediately trying to offer him a 2 way. 

EDIT: I think the article where I read this was wrong. He doesn't look to have that long a wingspan and I've seen other sites saying it's 6'7 which seems more reasonable. Not long enough for us lol.

• Upvote 1

I think a situation exists where Saddiq Bey is the BPA at 15 and we can use that opportunity to trade back. A lot of teams in that 16-23 range could use a big wing who can shoot. I'd be trying to pick up a 2021 first rounder and move back a few spots. For example if we like Maledon, there's every chance he's on the board later (based on mocks) so if you can get Maledon and a 2021 pick that's a win. 

One final thought on the draft this morning:

We should be on the phone to Freddie Gillespie's agent right now saying if he doesn't get drafted we'll give him a deal.

1. He's 6'9 with an alleged (and i stress that word because it's from his own mouth and there's every chance he was just hoping there'd be no combine and he could boost his stock) 7'6 wingspan.

2. He's one of the grittiest, hard working guys in this draft. He basically learned to play basketball while at Baylor. He transferred there from Div III, redshirted a year and became one of the best defensive players in college basketball over the next two seasons.

3. Hes a great culture guy. I heard a quote in an interview where he was asked to describe himself and he said "I'm not a low maintenance guy. I'm a no maintenance guy." And I just thought that was great. 

He's probably not an NBA rotation player but hes worth a shot on intangibles and length alone. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think a situation exists where Saddiq Bey is the BPA at 15 and we can use that opportunity to trade back. A lot of teams in that 16-23 range could use a big wing who can shoot. I'd be trying to pick up a 2021 first rounder and move back a few spots. For example if we like Maledon, there's every chance he's on the board later (based on mocks) so if you can get Maledon and a 2021 pick that's a win. 

Maledon's lack of confidence and prompt decision making also extends to his scoring repertoire. Maledon rarely looks to score, which is a legitimate issue. It allows defenses to sag off him and not respect his shot.

Even though Maledon starts well behind the arc in the below clip, the defense sags way off him. Maledon dribbles off of two consecutive screens that the defender goes under. Most NBA guards will pull up in these situations, but Maledon doesn't trust his shot enough. Maledon resets the screen and then proceeds to settle for an inefficient midrange jumper.

Here, Maledon shows his lack of confidence when attacking the rim. He initially uses the screen to perfection and attacks downhill with the drop defender on an island. This is an ideal situation for most guards as they are in complete control. Maledon should use a hesitation or crossover to beat the drop defender to the rim. Instead, Maledon is indecisive, dribbles back out, and settles for a heavily contested three as the shot clock runs down.

Early in his career, Maledon could be an offensive liability if defenses don't respect his scoring. The lane will be clogged, and he will struggle to find space.

Going forward, Theo Maledon has a lot of promise. His defensive impact will be immediate, and his offensive skill set has promise. Maledon will be a robust point-of-attack defender and has the size to switch multiple positions. Offensively, Maledon has the most work to do. His passing vision and accuracy are promising, but he needs to improve his decision-making speed and live dribble passing ability. As a scorer, Maledon's impact will likely be nonexistent, at least at the start. He needs to be more confident in his shot and more deliberate on his drives.

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-draft/content/everything-you-need-to-know-about-theo-maledon

I'll be pissed if we draft someone who can actually shoot and then swap him for another point guard who can't.  He sounds like another Frank Ntilikina.

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-draft/content/everything-you-need-to-know-about-theo-maledon

I'll be pissed if we draft someone who can actually shoot and then swap him for another point guard who can't.  He sounds like another Frank Ntilikina.

It was only a hypothetical but at the same time Maledon isn't a non shooter.

His jumper looks good and hes got enough positive indicators that I think he'll be at least a decent shooter. As pertains to his hesitancy and passive nature, he was a 19 year old playing in the second best professional competition in the world playing with a couple guys who have been drafted and the team game is much more emphasised in Europe. He scored 7.4PPG in the Euroleague, the team high for his team is only 10.5. Not to say he's not passive but it's hard to judge in that context. He's been more aggressive getting his own offense in FIBA competitions playing with his own age groups from what I gather.

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

We need a confident shooter!!! No “he looks like he has a good stroke crap”. A Herro or d. Robinson type. These type of guys roll out of bed and can shoot. That’s what we need.

Period 

Maledon shot 35% from 3 in Europe. Herro shot 36% from 3 his lone year at Kentucky.

Evaluating shooting form and shooting indicators is a perfectly reasonable thing to do considering most prospects haven't built enough of a sample size to be confident in the numbers holding up. 

Just now, CTMagicUK said:

Maledon shot 35% from 3 in Europe. Herro shot 36% from 3 his lone year at Kentucky.

Evaluating shooting form and shooting indicators is a perfectly reasonable thing to do considering most prospects haven't built enough of a sample size to be confident in the numbers holding up. 

How many did they attempt per 40 minutes?This is the true measurement of confidence. 

7 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

How many did they attempt per 40 minutes?This is the true measurement of confidence. 

5.2 for Maledon, 5.6 for Herro. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

5.2 for Maledon, 5.6 for Herro. 

Not bad, I haven’t seen him play ever so if we get him I hope he’s not gun shy at all. Whoever we get has to to have that intangible “it” factor. For example I really like Wes but he doesn’t seem to want to take over a game. That want to takeover alpha dog is the kind of guy we need. Evan seems to want to but does not have the ability against the good teams.