Aaron Nesmith

Devin Vassell

Theo Maleson

Tyrell Terry

Tyrese Maxey

Jalen Smith

Patrick Williams

Saddiq Bey

Here's every player I've found mocked to us at 45 so far since the lottery happened:

Cassius Stanley

Grant Riller

Immanuel Quickley

Paul Reed

Payton Pritchard

Ashton Hagans

Precious Achiuwa

Skylar Mays

Updated this.

We're a year away but I wouldn't be surprised if WeltHam are looking at Jonathan Kuminga and his 6'8 with a 7'2 wingspan (to go with his immense talents) and thinking "how can we be bad enough to get this guy".

30 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

It would be interesting to see which draft prospects fall into these categories.  CTMagicUK, do you need another project?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2907034-how-to-spot-an-nba-draft-bust

Challenge accepted. 

Only 22 year old lottery prospect is Obi Toppin. 

Still too early to identify any late risers I'd say. 

Low assist wings:  

Aaron Nesmith is the most obvious example here with an assist rate of an astonishingly low 7%. The eye test says he's a terrible passer as well, it's one of the reasons I'm lower on him.

Devin Vassell, Patrick Williams, Isaac Okoro, Saddiq Bey all had assist percentages below the article suggested 15%. The thing is all those guys have at least shown some propensity for being competent passers. Okoro is even lauded for his ability to pass. I think this is one of those things were assists =/= passing ability and it's using stats where the eye test is a much better indicator. We'll see how it plays out I guess but I'm not confident in this one as a bust potential thing. Jayson Tatum had an assist % less than 15. 

Low block bigs:

The article suggests under 6% block rate is troublesome. Here are all the bigs under that: 

Obi Toppin. That's it actually. Isaiah Stewart, Precious Achiuwa and Daniel Oturu are all close to 6 but all get over it. 

The article offers up some 'master of none' players. But I'm struggling with that category to be honest. It's pretty hard to define and also really subjective.

• Upvote 1

Heres a list of 2nd round guys who I think we'll look at considering that Weltman and Hammond really seem to value potential 2 way guys (often wings) with length in the second round: 

Karim Mane - young, long combo guard straight out of highschool. 

Derrick Alston Jr - Essentially a 6'9 SG. Still very thin for his draft age but really long and can shoot and pass pretty well.

Elijah Hughes - if he's on the board he's definitely got the frame and he's been a pretty good scorer in college.

Robert Woodard II - Don't think he'll be on the board but he's a pretty good bet as a 3 and D wing.

Nate Hinton - Huge motor wing. Probably the best rebounder in the whole class when you account for height. Can hit a catch and shoot 3 too. 

Isaiah Joe - Not sure he'll be on the board but he's a 3 point gunner who uses his long arms to be a really disruptive defensive player. 

Skylar Mays - just a really solid all around SG. Can pass, dribble and shoot. Also a really high character guy, comes from a family of Doctors and wants to study to be a doctor after his career. 

Immanuel Quickley - he's really an undersized SG but he does have a huge wingspan and he can shoot the ball. 

Abdoulaye N'Doye - long international guard. Allegedly 6'7 with a 7'2 wingspan. Can handle and pass the ball and shot 44% from 3 (on very low volume) in France. 

Malik Fitts - Long combo forward who shot over 40% from 3. 

Paul Reed - Not sure he'll be there but the build is obviously something we'd be a fan of. Long defensive power forward. Showed some potential as a shooter. 

Cassius Stanley - really athletic wing from Duke. Old for a freshman though and only a +1 wingspan.

If they're bothered about a big man they might also consider Udoka Azubuike if he's on the board. He's just a huge human being.

• Upvote 1

I'm still high on Tyrrell Terry. He's not the kind of player our front office usually drafts so I went away from him out of not wanting to be disappointed but he's a very intelligent player with a terrific jumper. I just can't imagine he fails. Worst case he could still probably be Seth Curry. If he adds some strength I think that'll help his handle a lot and then he'll have the jumper, the finishing at the basket (which he's already very good at for a 6'2 guy) and the handle to get everywhere he needs to. At that point he could be like a Jason Terry (not just a comp because of name) or maybe a CJ McCollum type player.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm still high on Tyrrell Terry. He's not the kind of player our front office usually drafts so I went away from him out of not wanting to be disappointed but he's a very intelligent player with a terrific jumper. I just can't imagine he fails. Worst case he could still probably be Seth Curry. If he adds some strength I think that'll help his handle a lot and then he'll have the jumper, the finishing at the basket (which he's already very good at for a 6'2 guy) and the handle to get everywhere he needs to. At that point he could be like a Jason Terry (not just a comp because of name) or maybe a CJ McCollum type player.

Couldn't we get roughly the same player in Markus Howard in the second round?  He's 3 inches shorter, but 20 pounds heavier.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This is the year we need to go off blueprint IMO. They won’t do it, but they need some atypical players who can bring a different dimension to the offense

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Couldn't we get roughly the same player in Markus Howard in the second round?  He's 3 inches shorter, but 20 pounds heavier.

I like Howards' handle and he's a big time shooter but he's a worse passer, worse defensive player, a much worse finisher at the rim and a couple years older as well as being shorter.

I also think it's much easier to imagine Terry off ball than Howard. Its not that Howard isn't a great spot up guy too because he is but he struggles to finish at the rim in college so if he gets run off the 3 point line he'll struggle to finish against NBA athletes. Plus Howard does a lot of his damage off the dribble. So I just think Terry has an easier path to NBA minutes because he can play on or off ball. 

I'm also slightly concerned that NBA length will cause him trouble. He takes a lot of semi-contested shots. And he makes them in college but it's just whether that extra couple of inches of length, extra burst in athleticism etc will get his shot blocked more often

Dont get me wrong he's probably worth a pick in the second round (I don't think it'll be by us) and I wouldn't surprised if he made it as a JJ Barea type spark plug at all. Just don't personally think he's as good a prospect as Terry. 

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I like Howards' handle and he's a big time shooter but he's a worse passer, worse defensive player, a much worse finisher at the rim and a couple years older as well as being shorter.

I also think it's much easier to imagine Terry off ball than Howard. Its not that Howard isn't a great spot up guy too because he is but he struggles to finish at the rim in college so if he gets run off the 3 point line he'll struggle to finish against NBA athletes. Plus Howard does a lot of his damage off the dribble. So I just think Terry has an easier path to NBA minutes because he can play on or off ball. 

I'm also slightly concerned that NBA length will cause him trouble. He takes a lot of semi-contested shots. And he makes them in college but it's just whether that extra couple of inches of length, extra burst in athleticism etc will get his shot blocked more often

Dont get me wrong he's probably worth a pick in the second round (I don't think it'll be by us) and I wouldn't surprised if he made it as a JJ Barea type spark plug at all. Just don't personally think he's as good a prospect as Terry. 

I agree Terry will be a better pro than Howard.  I just think Howard provides better value at pick 45 than Terry at pick 15 for 2 guys who will have similar bench roles.

7 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I agree Terry will be a better pro than Howard.  I just think Howard provides better value at pick 45 than Terry at pick 15 for 2 guys who will have similar bench roles.

In the first couple of years yea I totally agree. But I think Terry can develop into more than a bench player whereas I don't think Howard will.

20 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

That’s exactly the type of player we need