TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

7 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Athletic tweener  with no real offensive game? Sounds about right

The ultimate Magic Draft pick. How long is his wingspan?

15 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

The ultimate Magic Draft pick. How long is his wingspan?

Only a +2ish wingspan allegedly. Don't worry. Hes also likely gone when we pick according to rumours.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/role-sector-b-40854771

Here's the best write up on Poku I've seen. I totally understand why anybody would read that and think "no way do I want that guy" so I'm not going to argue.

But the pitch is essentially a 7'0 guard with a totally unique basketball brain who's going to need a strong development plan, a lot of patience and probably some time in the G league but who has an incredibly high ceiling considering he can do some downright insane things (things most guys never even attempt) on a basketball court. 

On 8/24/2020 at 3:19 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Only a +2ish wingspan allegedly. Don't worry. Hes also likely gone when we pick according to rumours.

You never heard of trading up or switching players in the draft?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

...what?

You said he is likely gone when we pick but Magic could trade up for Patrick or draft a player that another team wants then send him for Patrick in the draft

27 minutes ago, Anfernee1 said:

You said he is likely gone when we pick but Magic could trade up for Patrick or draft a player that another team wants then send him for Patrick in the draft

I'm working on the premise we'd only draft him if he's unquestionably BPA when we get on the board and that we wouldn't be targeting another forward. 

47 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm working on the premise we'd only draft him if he's unquestionably BPA when we get on the board and that we wouldn't be targeting another forward. 

Got it

7'0"195 lbsSerbia
4POS RK
19OVR RK

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
- Has unique dimensions for a perimeter player, standing more than 7-foot in shoes, with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and 9-foot-1 standing reach. Smooth and fluid for his size. He is the youngest player in this draft class, not turning 19 until late December. 
- Skilled and versatile offensive player. Can make 3-pointers running off screens or pulling up off the dribble. Takes defensive rebounds coast to coast. Attacks closeouts with either hand. Can play pick-and-roll and pass off a live dribble. 
- Effective rebounder who gets in passing lanes and rotates impressively to protect the rim. 

Improvement areas
- Hasn't been scouted as thoroughly as other international draft prospects. Played only 254 minutes this season in the Greek second division, a low level of competition. Was out for nearly three months because of an injury. 
- Weighs only around 200 pounds. Frame looks several years away from being NBA-ready. Lacks toughness and physicality even beyond his lack of strength. Frequently beaten off the dribble. Shies away from contact inside the paint.  
- Has struggled to put the ball in the basket efficiently for much of his career. Career 40% 2-point and 32% 3-point shooter. Shows impressive shot-making prowess at times but lacks consistency. 

Projected role: Mismatch, playmaking 4 

--Jonathan Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

I don't think I have the patience to wait for another athletic big to hopefully develop his body, toughness, physicality, and outside shot.  Sounds like he's about 5 years away from being a possible rotation player.

7 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

I don't think I have the patience to wait for another athletic big to hopefully develop his body, toughness, physicality, and outside shot.  Sounds like he's about 5 years away from being a possible rotation player.

I don't think his shot is a big issue. His %s are low because he takes crazy tough shots (if I had to speculate as to why he does I'd suggest it's a combination of supreme confidence, boredom and a desire to prove his talent to get out of his terrible development situation).

I actually think he could be a limited minutes rotation player right now because of his feel for the game and potential as a movement shooter. Just like a couple of mad 5 mins a game where you run a 7 footer off screens or swing the ball to him in motion for him to run a pick and roll. It's not like you actually have to play him at the 4 or 5 because he offers enough mobility and floor spacing to matchup with smaller players in limited minutes. 

Saying that though I do complete understand not wanting to wait on development and I don't blame anyone for wanting a more immediate contributor. 

Reading that scouting report there is nothing that makes me believe he will ever be an NBA player. I get the appeal though, but I think as a society it is imperative that we stop making the highest level predictions for 7 footers who show even the slightest potential of being able to dribble and shoot