TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

I'm working on a bit of fun personal project that's tracking mock drafts so here's every player I've found mocked to us at 15 so far since the lottery happened:

RJ Hampton

Cole Anthony

Kira Lewis Jr.

Aaron Nesmith

Devin Vassell

Theo Maleson

Tyrell Terry

Tyrese Maxey

Here's every player I've found mocked to us at 45 so far since the lottery happened:

Cassius Stanley

Grant Riller

Immanuel Quickley

Paul Reed

Payton Pritchard

If we somehow come out of this draft with Devin Vassell and Grant Riller. 1. That means there are a lot of bad GMs, 2. We win the draft. 

Something like Aaron Nesmith and Cassius Stanley is probably more realistic though.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:15 PM, Jason Funderburker said:

CBS mock has Vassell falling to 15

Kevin O’Connor loves him, even as a top 5 guy in this draft, if I recall correctly 

I just found a mock (a real published mock on a website that came up pretty high on Google not just some random Twitter guy) that has us with Saddiq Bey at 15 and Precious Achiuwa at 45 and now I want to throw up.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I just found a mock (a real published mock on a website that came up pretty high on Google not just some random Twitter guy) that has us with Saddiq Bey at 15 and Precious Achiuwa at 45 and now I want to throw up.

Just because it comes up high on Google, doesn't mean it's a respected source - just remember that Nbadraft.net is usually on the first page of Mock Drafts and Wikipedia is usually on the first page on a lot of others. Also, I've never seen a Mock from any normal source with Achiuwa outside the first round. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Maybe this will cheer you up...Jalen Smith at 15 and Ashton Hagans at 45.

Another power forward and a point guard who can't shoot.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-2nd-round/

7 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Just because it comes up high on Google, doesn't mean it's a respected source - just remember that Nbadraft.net is usually on the first page of Mock Drafts and Wikipedia is usually on the first page on a lot of others. Also, I've never seen a Mock from any normal source with Achiuwa outside the first round. 

I was playing around really there. It was a terrible mock I was just kind of highlighting that someone actually got paid to write it. I personally don't think Precious is a first round prospect myself but it does seem like he'll get drafted in the 1st round.

Just now, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Maybe this will cheer you up...Jalen Smith at 15 and Ashton Hagans at 45.

Another power forward and a point guard who can't shoot.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-2nd-round/

This one hurts my soul. Mostly because both my guys go one pick later. Poku at 16 and Mason Jones at 46.

Also Ashton Hagans isn't even a real prospect to me. 

Tankathon has us taking RJ Hampton at #15 and Grant Riller at #45. I'm not crazy about Hampton - another guard who can't shoot; but Riller at #45 would be a steal. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

This one hurts my soul. Mostly because both my guys go one pick later. Poku at 16 and Mason Jones at 46.

Also Ashton Hagans isn't even a real prospect to me. 

Oh man I'm obsessed by a Poku and Mason Jones draft now. They're just both so unusual prospects. A long rail thin 7 footer and a dump truck of a 6'4 SG. Just the idea of them stood next to each other holding Magic jerseys is hilarious. Plus I think it's just super swing for the fences drafting which I've repeatedly said I'm on board with. 

O'Connor updated his mock this morning and slotted Patrick Williams at 15.

PLUSES
  • Efficient at-rim scorer who uses either hand on athletic extended finishes.
  • Talented scorer off the dribble who can rise—and sometimes hang —before draining tough, contested jumpers.
  • Sound decision-maker who plays within the system. He doesn’t pause possessions; he keeps the ball moving. Nor does he force bad shots; he looks for an open man.
  • Good playmaker for his size due to his solid handle and excellent passing vision. He loves to use hesitations, especially in the pick-and-roll, and he can deliver accurate passes off the dribble.
  • Does the little things like cutting, screening, and rebounding. With his size and skill, it’s projectable for a team to use him like a big as an on-ball screener who can pop for 3s or dive to the rim.
  • Smart, athletic team defender who communicates and disrupts actions with timely help defense.
  • Gritty player who hustles hard on defense. He’s had a handful of inspired chasedown blocks. As a rim protector, he’ll put in multiple efforts to get stops.
  • Flashes versatility on-ball in a switch-heavy scheme at Florida State. With improvements to his athleticism, he could shine.

MINUSES

• Still developing as a spot-up shooter. He had to improve his form in high school to become a good free throw shooter (84 percent), but still struggles off the catch with a low, slow release.
  • He totaled nearly double the number of turnovers (50) as he did assists (29). Despite a knack for playmaking, he got called for countless travels due to raw footwork and forced drives into traffic.
  • Stiff man-to-man defender without the versatility to reliably switch onto guards and wings. He’s clunky moving laterally and changing directions, so he gets burned regularly.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.237602944.1603431049.1597851816-669019946.1594458313#mock

• Like 1