TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

Bey might be BPA at pick 15 day 1, I can't argue that, but the guys that get drafted around him have much more potential for high end outcomes in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-draft/content/everything-you-need-to-know-about-saddiq-bey

He might be bpa when we draft, but he occupies the same space as Okeke.

But, we don't know what we have with Okeke, if either/both can play backup PF, it might help us trade Aminu. Also, either of them might be able to play some SG. If Bey or Okeke can play the backup SG spot, we can trade Fournier, and move TRoss to the starting line-up. I think either is probably as good or better on D than Fournier.        

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-draft/content/everything-you-need-to-know-about-saddiq-bey

He might be bpa when we draft, but he occupies the same space as Okeke.

Bey was in Hollinger’s list at around our spot, but he classified him solely as a wing, maybe even a guard. But yeah, he is a high floor, low ceiling guy 

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I like Paul Reed or Elijah Hughes in the second round if they're there, (doubt it) but don't think either guy should be in the conversation for 15.

I've also soured on Aaron Nesmith a lot but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the pick if he makes it to 15.

The list actually had Reed as the 12th best players - there were quite a few who he noted he had much higher than other rankings were.

there are plenty of guys after Nesmith who are probably better than Hughes, but they weren’t at positions I was really looking at. I think it’s likely we end up with a PG given the abundance of them.

As always though, I think we should trade up

Also, why don’t you like Nesmith?

Given that we have had some injury issues with our picks (Isaac, Bamba, Okeke), I can understand some trepidation with picking Nesmith if he is available. I would personally be happy with Cole Anthony, Theo Maledin, Devin Vassell, Aaron Nesmith, or Saddiq Bey (not in preference order, still working on that). I think that at least one of them will be available at #15. I'm just not sure exactly what order to put them in if multiple are available. I think you have to go BPA first, fit second, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus once you get past the first tier or two. And somebody from the "third or fourth" tier always seems to shine brighter than expected once the games start for real. 

—I'm hearing a lot of top-10 talk for Iowa State's Tyrese Haliburton. He's likely to be the first NCAA point guard drafted and the second point guard to go after LaMelo Ball.

Stanford's Tyrell Terry has fans who continue to move him up their board and skeptics who have him in the second round. A source told me he's grown to over 6'3" in sneakers, which could be a big deal for teams questioning his size.

—There is a lot of love for Villanova's Saddiq Bey. I'm sensing he could be one of the first players taken outside the top 10 in the late lottery. His mix of size, shooting and high character have become big draws.

Vanderbilt's Aaron Nesmith has been labeled as the draft's best shooter who some think will go in the late lottery. There are skeptics who aren't as high, citing the idea that he's too one-dimensional. 

—Some think Alabama's Kira Lewis Jr. is going top 20; others have him 25-35. Believers buy his improvement and speed, while doubters have questioned his feel for the game.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top

The article mentions FSU's Patrick Williams could be the biggest riser, and RJ Hampton falling to late first round/early second.

32 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Bey was in Hollinger’s list at around our spot, but he classified him solely as a wing, maybe even a guard. But yeah, he is a high floor, low ceiling guy 

The list actually had Reed as the 12th best players - there were quite a few who he noted he had much higher than other rankings were.

there are plenty of guys after Nesmith who are probably better than Hughes, but they weren’t at positions I was really looking at. I think it’s likely we end up with a PG given the abundance of them.

As always though, I think we should trade up

Also, why don’t you like Nesmith?

On Nesmith, I'm having a hard time seeing his upside. He's a great movement shooter which is valuable and he has the length to be an above average help defender but I think his defense has been overrated by a lot of people, he was inconsistent on that end to say the least. Then on offense he's a non passer with an awful handle who isn't a great finisher at the rim when he can get there. It's hard to see what the upside is there. I guess he can be a Duncan Robinson/Kyle Korver type? Who you hope because of his tools can be better than those guys on defense so maybe like a Danny Green. Is that worth pick 15? 

And that's if his jumper is really that elite. I do buy that it is honestly but the sample size is small and he didn't play any conference games against tougher teams. If he's closer to a 37% 3 point shooter than a 40+% then he's even less valuable. 

If you buy the flashes on defense combined with the elite shooting I can see why you might think he could be like a Duncan Robinson level movement shooter with solid defense and some highlight weakside blocks. And obviously that'd be great. I'm just not personally as convinced that that happens. 

30 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top

The article mentions FSU's Patrick Williams could be the biggest riser, and RJ Hampton falling to late first round/early second.

A lot of that article sounds like "hey maybe we'll draft the guy you like in the lotto, want to trade with us?" 

4 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Given that we have had some injury issues with our picks (Isaac, Bamba, Okeke), I can understand some trepidation with picking Nesmith if he is available. I would personally be happy with Cole Anthony, Theo Maledin, Devin Vassell, Aaron Nesmith, or Saddiq Bey (not in preference order, still working on that). I think that at least one of them will be available at #15. I'm just not sure exactly what order to put them in if multiple are available. I think you have to go BPA first, fit second, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus once you get past the first tier or two. And somebody from the "third or fourth" tier always seems to shine brighter than expected once the games start for real. 

I like your thinking

5 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Wasn’t Cole Anthony bad?

8 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Wasn’t Cole Anthony bad?

18.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg,  4.0 apg 

FG% 38.0, FG3% 34.8, FT% 75.0, eFG% 45.1, PER 17.5

On arguably one of the poorest UNC teams in a long time. There isn't another UNC player coming out in the draft this year who is ranked in the top 100 by ESPN. Was he great? Not really. Did he carry that team on his shoulders? Frequently.