TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

If you prescribe to the idea that wingspan is a major part of what we look for in a prospect, and make the presumption that we're probably looking for a guard or wing in this draft here are the prospects with (alleged or rumoured since there's been no combine) above average wingspan for their size that might come in to play when we pick in the teens: 

Devin Vassell - I think he'll be long gone by our pick but some mocks have him in our range. He's allegedly 6'7 with a 6'10 wingspan. Kind of like a more wing version of Isaac, long, disruptive defender, definite 3 and D potential but also showed flashes as a shot creator. 

Tyrese Maxey - 6'3 with a 6'6 wingspan. He's still undersized for a combo guard though so not sure how that fits with the length stuff. He looks like he's going to be a really good point of attack defender, his shooting figures are horrible but his jumper looks good so people believe he can be a positive 3 point shooter in the NBA. 

Isaac Okoro - like Vassell probably won't be around when we pick but he's 6'6 with a 6'9 wingspan. Super athlete, high motor, great defender, jumper is not good, free throws also terrible. 

Aaron Nesmith - Actually think he's probably the most likely pick right now if he's on the board when we pick. 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan. Elite shooter, catch and shoot, DHOs, NBA level screen plays, even a little bit off the dribble. Hes not a great athlete though, and didn't look very convincing on defense despite his length. 

Jahmius Ramsey - He's 6'4, some disputes about his wingspan, some places allege it's 6'10, The Ringer has it a 6'6. He's got the looks of a microwave scorer, shot really well from 3 in college but took some terrible shots and finished an atrociously low amount of shots at the rim. Has defensive potential but didn't show a lot of effort.

Josh Green - 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan. Bouncy SG who's jumper looked ok at Arizona. 3 and D potential definitely. 

Theo Maledon - 6'4 with a 6'8 wingspan. Long point guard, not an explosive athlete but looks good in PnR and has a decent catch and shoot game. Could play on or off ball. 

One interesting thing to note is that in the second round we have drafted exclusively wing players with above average wingspans since WeltHam took over. Iwundu, Frazier and Jackson all fit that archetype. And even Hammond's last couple years in Milwaukee he picked Damien Inglis and Malcolm Brogdon who also fit that mould. Be interesting to see if we carry on with that. 

• Upvote 2

I know this thread is essentially me talking to myself so sorry but here's one more thought:

I wonder what would happen if we get to pick 16 or whatever we have and Aleksej Pokusevski is still on the board. 7'0, 7'3 wingspan. Shoots and moves like a forward and passes and handles like a guard with good defensive instincts. The knocks on him are he's stick thin which affects him on both ends and he plays in the Greek 2nd Division. I think he's the ultimate Boom or Bust pick. And of course John Hammond famously selected another Boom or Bust pick from the Greek 2nd Division in about the same range pick as where we'll be. I'm not comparing him to Giannis in any way other than they're both unique prospects from the same European league, and we definitely don't need another big on the roster right now. But I can see why some front offices, maybe ours, would find it difficult not to pick him.

• Upvote 2

Sorry for being among the silent but your last post before was the single most enjoyable thing on the forum in the past 4 months. I personally greatly appreciated it. Wish it wasn't such a tumbleweed dirt road here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Sorry for being among the silent but your last post before was the single most enjoyable thing on the forum in the past 4 months. I personally greatly appreciated it. Wish it wasn't such a tumbleweed dirt road here.

Hey thanks man! Appreciate it! Yea I wish it was busier here too, hence all my posts. With all this time in lockdown I've just dived in to thinking about the Magics off-season, the draft, potential free agents etc all just to keep me from being bored (and keep my mind off of the horrible things happening right now). I'm just using these threads as a place to file some of those thoughts, even if nobody replies haha

• Upvote 2

Just want to say that even if I don't write in this topic (I live in Europe, I've a very low knowledge of prospect and NCAA) I always read with interest that thread, so don't feel alone and go on with that! :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/7/2020 at 6:58 AM, CTMagicUK said:

If you prescribe to the idea that wingspan is a major part of what we look for in a prospect, and make the presumption that we're probably looking for a guard or wing in this draft here are the prospects with (alleged or rumoured since there's been no combine) above average wingspan for their size that might come in to play when we pick in the teens: 

Devin Vassell - I think he'll be long gone by our pick but some mocks have him in our range. He's allegedly 6'7 with a 6'10 wingspan. Kind of like a more wing version of Isaac, long, disruptive defender, definite 3 and D potential but also showed flashes as a shot creator. 

Tyrese Maxey - 6'3 with a 6'6 wingspan. He's still undersized for a combo guard though so not sure how that fits with the length stuff. He looks like he's going to be a really good point of attack defender, his shooting figures are horrible but his jumper looks good so people believe he can be a positive 3 point shooter in the NBA. 

Isaac Okoro - like Vassell probably won't be around when we pick but he's 6'6 with a 6'9 wingspan. Super athlete, high motor, great defender, jumper is not good, free throws also terrible. 

Aaron Nesmith - Actually think he's probably the most likely pick right now if he's on the board when we pick. 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan. Elite shooter, catch and shoot, DHOs, NBA level screen plays, even a little bit off the dribble. Hes not a great athlete though, and didn't look very convincing on defense despite his length. 

Jahmius Ramsey - He's 6'4, some disputes about his wingspan, some places allege it's 6'10, The Ringer has it a 6'6. He's got the looks of a microwave scorer, shot really well from 3 in college but took some terrible shots and finished an atrociously low amount of shots at the rim. Has defensive potential but didn't show a lot of effort.

Josh Green - 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan. Bouncy SG who's jumper looked ok at Arizona. 3 and D potential definitely. 

Theo Maledon - 6'4 with a 6'8 wingspan. Long point guard, not an explosive athlete but looks good in PnR and has a decent catch and shoot game. Could play on or off ball. 

One interesting thing to note is that in the second round we have drafted exclusively wing players with above average wingspans since WeltHam took over. Iwundu, Frazier and Jackson all fit that archetype. And even Hammond's last couple years in Milwaukee he picked Damien Inglis and Malcolm Brogdon who also fit that mould. Be interesting to see if we carry on with that. 

I like Vassell, Nesmith, and Maledon; and I’m hoping that one of them will still be there. 

I'm not as high on Bane or Riller. I don't think they're worth picks in the teens. I like both and if we had a late 1st/high 2nd, or if they're there in the 40s, id be interested in both but at 15 or 16 I think thatd be reaching. 

I do like Bolmaro though he really gets after it on defense and he can handle and pass like a PG at 6'7. A lot of mocks have him in the late 20s or second round but the old Draftexpress guys at ESPN (Givony and Schmitz) like him a lot and have him in the teens I think. He's probably a reliable jumper away from being at least a really good rotational player.

RJ Hampton is interesting to me. He was not good in his one season overseas in the NBL but he was a really high recruit, superb athlete who shows flashes as a passer, ball handler and slasher and by all accounts he's an incredibly hard worker who's been locked in a gym with Mike Miller working on his jumpshot. He's tough to predict because I think there's a world where a team in the top 10 take a chance on him and I think there's also a world where he slides into the 20s.

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

RJ Hampton is interesting to me. He was not good in his one season overseas in the NBL but he was a really high recruit, superb athlete who shows flashes as a passer, ball handler and slasher and by all accounts he's an incredibly hard worker who's been locked in a gym with Mike Miller working on his jumpshot. He's tough to predict because I think there's a world where a team in the top 10 take a chance on him and I think there's also a world where he slides into the 20s.

I wouldn't hate that pick if he falls to us, especially if he has spent time working on his jump shot with Miller.