TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

On 5/22/2020 at 10:23 PM, The Buccaneer said:

Grant Riller... lets do it. Bring the kid home! 

not sure how practical it would be to bring him in or anything but what a feel good story that would be if he made it onto this roster and flourished. love a good underdog story

Riller is one of several score first, upperclassmen, point guards who will probably be available in the second round: him, Cassius Winston, Malachi Flynn, Markus Howard and Payton Pritchard. I'd be happy (to varying degrees) with one of those guys in the second if we don't go guard (Tyrell Terry?!) In the 1st round. 

I would love for us to get a 3-and-D wing player - preferably a 2/3 - Devin Vassell or Aaron Nesmith are my preferences. I would also be happy with a good 1/2 - Theo Maledon or possibly  Jahmi'us Ramsey/Kira Lewis. I do like Saddiq Bey, but with our current group of 3/4 players, I don't think we really need another. I would like to see us pick up Riller in the second round. Not sure he could make the roster, but he would be a good Lakeland or possibly a 2-way player.

16 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I would love for us to get a 3-and-D wing player - preferably a 2/3 - Devin Vassell or Aaron Nesmith are my preferences. I would also be happy with a good 1/2 - Theo Maledon or possibly  Jahmi'us Ramsey/Kira Lewis. I do like Saddiq Bey, but with our current group of 3/4 players, I don't think we really need another. I would like to see us pick up Riller in the second round. Not sure he could make the roster, but he would be a good Lakeland or possibly a 2-way player.

Some people have Riller as a top 30 on their big board. But yeah there’s value ina guy like that even if he’s a Lakeland guy. 

Xavier Tillman is one of my favourite guys in the second round. Bit of a gadget player. Has a nice feel for the game, hustles hard on the boards, blocks shots and is a good finisher down low. He'd be a nice guy to fit into the rotation as a small ball 5. It's not a skillset we desperately need but I think he'll be an NBA player and that's enough in the second round.

I'm super excited about this draft for us (key is for us, if we had a high lotto pick I would not be excited at all). I think it's a real test of player evaluation. This is the type of draft where the 28th pick could end up being the best player from it but where I wouldn't be surprised if like 25+ guys had real long NBA careers as roleplayers. There are players who some people are mocking late lotto that others have as second rounders. There are probably like 75-80 guys worth being selected (pending who goes back to school). I think there's a higher chance than usual that you can get a capable player in the second round because I think it's possible you pick a guy at 45 that you had in your top 30. Also the advantage of picking at 15ish could be that we can take a gamble on a guy that late lottery teams weren't willing to risk. 

There's a chance I may have just spent too much time looking at prospects because I'm bored in lockdown...

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2020 at 6:24 PM, CTMagicUK said:

I'm super excited about this draft for us (key is for us, if we had a high lotto pick I would not be excited at all). I think it's a real test of player evaluation. This is the type of draft where the 28th pick could end up being the best player from it but where I wouldn't be surprised if like 25+ guys had real long NBA careers as roleplayers. There are players who some people are mocking late lotto that others have as second rounders. There are probably like 75-80 guys worth being selected (pending who goes back to school). I think there's a higher chance than usual that you can get a capable player in the second round because I think it's possible you pick a guy at 45 that you had in your top 30. Also the advantage of picking at 15ish could be that we can take a gamble on a guy that late lottery teams weren't willing to risk. 

There's a chance I may have just spent too much time looking at prospects because I'm bored in lockdown...

Who do you fancy with our pick out of curiosity???

28 minutes ago, harley said:

Who do you fancy with our pick out of curiosity???

I'm super high on Tyrell Terry. He's a great shooter. He's got a really nice feel for the game. He at least tries on D (even if his size and weight hinder him there) and he's actually quite a crafty finisher as well. I think he's got a lot of upside and I think he meshes quite well with Fultz. 

Some mocks have him in the 20s and some even have him in the second round though so there's a chance I'm higher on him than most. Also not sure how he fits into WeltHams roster building ideals, he's not super long.

I think it might ultimately depend on who's available. It's so hard to know in this draft though. Some mocks have guys top 5, others have the same guy falling to 13. Devin Vassell looks like a mid lotto pick in this draft to me but I've seen him mocked all over the place.

• Like 1

Is there potential to trade back and pick up more assets in this draft? 

Let's say someone Boston really likes falls to 15 and they're concerned the team at 16 will take him (or we take him and work the trade later). We could do 15 for 17 and 30. Punt 30 for a pick in the high second and a future second rounder (there's no way we're bringing in 3 rookies on guaranteed contracts next year). Sell our current 2nd rounder for a future second and cash. Finish up with 17 (where we could pick the guy we like at 15 anyway if we are calculated enough), an essential trade up in the second round, a future second rounder and cash. Plus save a few hundred thousand against the cap across the life of the 1st rounder contract. 

On 7/1/2020 at 2:33 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Killian Hayes agent says we've had a meeting with him.

That's interesting, as I haven't seen him fall outside the top 10 in a single mock draft. The only way we get him is if we trade up. 

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

That's interesting, as I haven't seen him fall outside the top 10 in a single mock draft. The only way we get him is if we trade up. 

Who knows honestly. I think you're right in that conventional wisdom suggests we'd only get him in the top 10 so we might be looking at ways to trade up but maybe it's due diligence in case he slides? Maybe we have him as more of a late lotto to teens pick on our board? This is going to be an unpredictable draft I think.