Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic @ Nets - Monday, Feb. 24th at 7:30 P.M.

agree with all of that,

particularly about the passive part

if this is a conscious coaching choice, it is one more

puzzling one to add to the list. Unless there are still lingering injury concerns

32 minutes ago, harryfromphilly said:

hi

was traveling last night and could not watch the game

was markelle as much a non factor as his stats indicate?

5 pts 4 tos?

ok 7 assts.  lol

or do that stats just not show what he was up to?

No. Brooklyn's game plan was to limit him as last time he dropped 25 on them so they built everything to disrupt his drives and closed out on his mid-range. So he facilitated. Should have had 12 assists. Guys bricked a bunch of open shots. 

Fultz was sloppy early and his shot looked bad relative to where it was a few games ago but he wasn't a non-factor. He's just not going to force offense when there's "better" shots available.

10 minutes ago, harryfromphilly said:

thanks

hoped that it was something like that

really hoping that even if his development is slow,

it trends in the right direction and usage increases with it

This isn't something that he can change in the short term. He's still an outsider on a team full of veterans who have been here forever. He's joining an established team. So he's judicious about picking his spots and he'll be that way until he takes ownership over this roster. 

You see it from time to time. Every few games he'll get frustrated and just take over. So it exists in him. And we don't really deviate and install specific packages for specific matchups during the regular season.

It's one of the reasons I'm excited about the playoffs. Team philosophy changes so that's the time we might run specific plays for him instead of having him run the offense exclusively. 

• Upvote 1

It wasn’t discussed much because we came out with the W, but I wanted to comment on the Clifford timeout thing. Based on his reaction, a timeout he was trying to call was missed again. I went back and watched the play multiple times, and I’m not sure I buy this one. I certainly hope he’s not going to make this into his thing.

The first problem is that Fultz pretty much inbounded it immediately after he was handed the ball. Cliff was not attempting to call a timeout leading up to the ref handing the ball to Fultz. During the handoff, he seemed to lean in slightly toward the ref and possibly say something — I assume this was his attempt to call timeout. But again it was pretty much simultaneous with Fultz launching it in because of how quickly he hot-potatoed it.

Clifford needs to be more demonstrative if he’s really trying to get these timeouts and they’re being missed. It’s loud at the end of the game. The Knicks miss was more egregious because he was at least running up the sideline. On this one, he barely did anything. Didn’t make a hand signal, didn’t hop out in front of the ref. At some point he needs to pull a Spoelstra/Rivers and make his intention clear, otherwise it could keep happening. 

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

It wasn’t discussed much because we came out with the W, but I wanted to comment on the Clifford timeout thing. Based on his reaction, a timeout he was trying to call was missed again. I went back and watched the play multiple times, and I’m not sure I buy this one. I certainly hope he’s not going to make this into his thing.

The first problem is that Fultz pretty much inbounded it immediately after he was handed the ball. Cliff was not attempting to call a timeout leading up to the ref handing the ball to Fultz. During the handoff, he seemed to lean in slightly toward the ref and possibly say something — I assume this was his attempt to call timeout. But again it was pretty much simultaneous with Fultz launching it in because of how quickly he hot-potatoed it.

Clifford needs to be more demonstrative if he’s really trying to get these timeouts and they’re being missed. It’s loud at the end of the game. The Knicks miss was more egregious because he was at least running up the sideline. On this one, he barely did anything. Didn’t make a hand signal, didn’t hop out in front of the ref. At some point he needs to pull a Spoelstra/Rivers and make his intention clear, otherwise it could keep happening. 

I kind of thought the same thing. 

He was standing next to the guy so maybe he didn't do the signal but it wasn't like the other thing. 

Last night I wondered if he said that to get a makeup call. We got away with physical defense the last minute. 

8 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

This isn't something that he can change in the short term. He's still an outsider on a team full of veterans who have been here forever. He's joining an established team. So he's judicious about picking his spots and he'll be that way until he takes ownership over this roster. 

You see it from time to time. Every few games he'll get frustrated and just take over. So it exists in him. And we don't really deviate and install specific packages for specific matchups during the regular season.

It's one of the reasons I'm excited about the playoffs. Team philosophy changes so that's the time we might run specific plays for him instead of having him run the offense exclusively. 

Hopefully he can continue to be more assertive. His driving ability is impressive.