Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic Vs. Mavericks - Friday, February 21st at 7:00 P.M.

2 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

None of those guys can create their own shot reliably 

We don’t need them to create their own shots though. A simple drive to the basket by our PG who is amazing attacking the rim would suffice. He either finishes at the rim or kicks it out to one of our guys who are wide open. Ross can create his shot but he doesn’t do it within the offense which is why he hurts us more than he helps. Literally our second unit stands around while Ross uses screens to try and get an impossible  shot off. That’s not a good offensive scheme you need to be more creative than that to be successful in today’s NBA. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

While I get that the highest paid player should get most of the attention when we’re playing poorly he isn’t the reason why we’re bad.  He’s one of the only true starters on this team.  We aren’t good because we aren’t talented.  Isaac and Fultz are the only long term pieces here.  We needed a full scale shakeup at the deadline with Isaac out but our front office sat on their hands.  It’s reprehensible.  

This guy really, really gets it. This goes all the way back to the year Dwight left. The Magic just haven't had enough talent since then. Plain and simple. The problem is not recognizing this quickly enough or doing anything about it! It was good when new management realized Mario and Elfrid were hot garbage, it just needed to happen sooner.Evan and Vucevic might have been the only true starting caliber players we have had the whole time. The problem is they were assets that should have been traded or surrounded with the right stars.And besides a few good games, Gordon has played at a bench players level most of his time here. He is a special case because i think he would have flourished on the right team. This is why i hope he gets traded. 

Making mistakes is ok if you adapt. Golden State and OKC had two of the most amazing runs in the draft in history. One team has 3 titles and the other team has none.What's the difference? Well much of it was luck because OKC sure did come close a few times.The other is team construction, i think Presti was too active. Giving up on Harden early was the big one but i think the other started with Perkins. Even before Harden left he should have embraced small ball with Durant and Ibaka and had back-ups that would do the same thing. If Durant doesn't switch teams does Presti recognize this and trade Adams before he becomes expensive? I'm not so sure. We had this moment last year.Even though it was succesfull we needed to realize Vucevic wasn't the answer and moved on.

The same thing will happen with Fultz and Isaac if we don't surround them with the right players.I think my main disconnect right now is i don't see a plan really.I don't see a change coming without something bad happening. This team is pretty locked in till we have to resign both of them.During this past off season and at the trade deadline i saw a glimmer of hope.Now anything is possible but the whole league really changed in the last 18 months and we didn't.

38 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

We don’t need them to create their own shots though. A simple drive to the basket by our PG who is amazing attacking the rim would suffice. He either finishes at the rim or kicks it out to one of our guys who are wide open. Ross can create his shot but he doesn’t do it within the offense which is why he hurts us more than he helps. Literally our second unit stands around while Ross uses screens to try and get an impossible  shot off. That’s not a good offensive scheme you need to be more creative than that to be successful in today’s NBA. 

Except we have been historically bad at open shots this year and most years in the rebuild, except last year!

1 minute ago, hootie249 said:

Except we have been historically bad at open shots this year and most years in the rebuild, except last year!

True but I’d rather have a guy with his feet set already waiting at the 3 than having Ross kill any offensive ball movement like he usually does. I know we don’t have great shooters but we still need to have ball movement and play team ball not rely on one guy in the second unit to keep us afloat. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

True but I’d rather have a guy with his feet set already waiting at the 3 than having Ross kill any offensive ball movement like he usually does. I know we don’t have great shooters but we still need to have ball movement and play team ball not rely on one guy in the second unit to keep us afloat. 

I mean your not wrong, Ross has looked horrible this year. we need set plays not somebody throwing up shots off balance.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

None of those guys can create their own shot reliably 

They don’t have to create their own shot because with better ball movement you often can find someone for an open look.  But when you rely on one guy to take all the shots and there’s little to no ball movement, that’s also when no one gets open.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JJZFL said:

They don’t have to create their own shot because with better ball movement you often can find someone for an open look.  But when you rely on one guy to take all the shots and there’s little to no ball movement, that’s also when no one gets open.

That’s my point. We’re relying on one volume scoring guy because we DONT have that playmaker off the bench and the rest of the other guys are all one dimensional players. 

5 hours ago, JJZFL said:

9 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

That’s my point. We’re relying on one volume scoring guy because we DONT have that playmaker off the bench and the rest of the other guys are all one dimensional players. 

I don’t think we’re saying the same thing.  We don’t need a spectacular playmaker off the bench and we don’t need to rely on one guy forcing up contested shots and hitting threes at 32%.  Move the ball more.  Use all 5 guys.  Several have a higher three point percentage than Ross.  Get some open looks with ball movement.  Let some other guys take shots and get into rhythm.  Everyone will look better.  

11 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I don’t think we’re saying the same thing.  We don’t need a spectacular playmaker off the bench and we don’t need to rely on one guy forcing up contested shots and hitting threes at 32%.  Move the ball more.  Use all 5 guys.  Several have a higher three point percentage than Ross.  Get some open looks with ball movement.  Let some other guys take shots and get into rhythm.  Everyone will look better.  

You don't get open looks with ball movement. You get open looks with penetration and forcing the defense to help. 

So, yeah, it's nice we have a bunch of shooters on the bench but you need a guy who can do stuff with the ball to create open looks for teammates. 

We should be playing Vucevic more with the bench. We should be playing Bamba more with the starters. It would solve a ton of our issues. 

28 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

You don't get open looks with ball movement. You get open looks with penetration and forcing the defense to help. 

So, yeah, it's nice we have a bunch of shooters on the bench but you need a guy who can do stuff with the ball to create open looks for teammates. 

We should be playing Vucevic more with the bench. We should be playing Bamba more with the starters. It would solve a ton of our issues. 

It’s a combination of lots of things including penetration, screens, misdirection, cuts and certainly ball movement.  I agree you don’t get open looks if everyone stands in one spot on the perimeter and passes the ball back and forth but no one is proposing that.  

• Upvote 1