Sign in to follow this  
jmmagicfan

2020/21 Magic Free Agents - who comes back?

So this summer the front office has a lot of work to do, depending on who opts in, and who doesn't. My question is, who do we try to keep, knowing that we have limited options to add players, since we may be over the cap (if Fournier and Ennis opt in), and we may have a lot of spaces to fill? Below is our list, based on position, not by preference.

1. Augustin - Free Agent
  2. Carter-Williams - Free Agent
  3. Fournier - Player Option
  4. Frazier, Jr. - Team Option
  5. Iwundu - Restricted Free Agent
  6. Ennis - Player Option
  7. Clark - Restricted Free Agent
  8. Okeke - First Round Guarantee
  9. First Round Pick (#15 or 16)

We also have restricted rights to Daquan Jeffries, BJ Johnson, and Vic Law (assuming Johnson and Law aren't waived this season). Assuming that Fournier and Ennis both opt in, that puts us about $260K over the $115M cap for next year with ten players under contract. If we decline Frazier's option, add Okeke, and add our FRP, that puts us somewhere around $122M, with 12 players under contract. That leaves three roster spaces open with four of our own free agents unsigned. Who, if any, do we try to bring back?

Augustin, Carter-Williams, Iwundu, and Clark would then be our four remaining, current roster free agents.

You almost have to bring back either Augustin or Carter-Williams; or you have to replace them with a different, veteran, backup PG - even if your First Round Pick is a PG, that still only leaves you with Fultz and a rookie PG.

I think DJ is at the point where he isn't going to get a new contract the size of his cap hold; but will he settle for less, and if so, how much less? Enough less to make him worth bringing back? Since Carter-Williams is on a veteran-minimum contract, and Iwundu/Clark are Restricted, is anyone going to offer any of them more than we can, or more than we should? 

I'd be shocked if we didn't bring back MCW. He fits what we're building too much and has been outproducing his role. 

Everyone else I don't have a good read on right now

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I'd be shocked if we didn't bring back MCW. He fits what we're building too much and has been outproducing his role. 

Everyone else I don't have a good read on right now

Kind of where I am at, too. I think MCW is brought back, as Clifford really likes him a lot. I'm just not sure he is what we need as a backup PG. I'm not sure if DJ is either, though. I like Iwundu, but not sure if they bring him back, especially if both Fournier and Ennis opt in. I think Clark is a good, probably cheap emergency backup at the PF position, which is why I can't rule him out completely either. Like I said, with the pending free agents/opt in/opt outs and a mid-1st pick (again), they really have their work cut out for them this summer - probably more than the last couple. 

2 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Kind of where I am at, too. I think MCW is brought back, as Clifford really likes him a lot. I'm just not sure he is what we need as a backup PG. I'm not sure if DJ is either, though. I like Iwundu, but not sure if they bring him back, especially if both Fournier and Ennis opt in. I think Clark is a good, probably cheap emergency backup at the PF position, which is why I can't rule him out completely either. Like I said, with the pending free agents/opt in/opt outs and a mid-1st pick (again), they really have their work cut out for them this summer - probably more than the last couple. 

Clark kind of depends on decisions at other spots

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:
      1. Augustin - Don't see him coming back.  Would think he'd want a back-up role seeking a ring at this point.  
      2. Carter-Williams - He is essentially a black hole on offense and he doesn't have the shot for a 3 and D.  As a vet minimum he is perfect.  If his market is higher than that I'd prefer to let him walk.  
      3. Fournier - I think the question here is what direction does the FO go with Vuc.  If they deal Gordon and not Vuc, I think Fournier opts in.  If they make the right call in my mind and find a new home for Vuc, I think Fournier opts out.  
      4. Frazier, Jr. - Easily replaced.
      5. Iwundu - Restricted Free Agent.  I don't expect him to get a big offer from elsewhere, but if he does I think they let him walk.  
      6. Ennis - Said he was looking for minutes.  He will likely get them in Orlando if the Magic move on from Vuc and Fournier. 
      7. Clark - Easily Replaced.
      8. Okeke - Red-shirt season is over.  Time to see what we got.
      9. First Round Pick (#15 or 16).  I'm guessing this is BPA... which will make it a PF.

Fultz (1)

Ross (2)

Isaac (3)/Ross (4)/Ennis (5)

Gordon (6)/Okeke (7)/Aminu (8)

Bamba (9)/Birch (10)

Draft Pick (11) - I'm assuming PG/SG

12-15 taken up by whatever we have to sort through to get rid of Vuc and Vet minimums.  I'm guessing we can find a back-up PG and SG in there somewhere.

Will be way more fun to watch.

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:
2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:
      1. Augustin - Don't see him coming back.  Would think he'd want a back-up role seeking a ring at this point.  
      2. Carter-Williams - He is essentially a black hole on offense and he doesn't have the shot for a 3 and D.  As a vet minimum he is perfect.  If his market is higher than that I'd prefer to let him walk.  
      3. Fournier - I think the question here is what direction does the FO go with Vuc.  If they deal Gordon and not Vuc, I think Fournier opts in.  If they make the right call in my mind and find a new home for Vuc, I think Fournier opts out.  
      4. Frazier, Jr. - Easily replaced.
      5. Iwundu - Restricted Free Agent.  I don't expect him to get a big offer from elsewhere, but if he does I think they let him walk.  
      6. Ennis - Said he was looking for minutes.  He will likely get them in Orlando if the Magic move on from Vuc and Fournier. 
      7. Clark - Easily Replaced.
      8. Okeke - Red-shirt season is over.  Time to see what we got.
      9. First Round Pick (#15 or 16).  I'm guessing this is BPA... which will make it a PF.

Fultz (1)

Ross (2)

Isaac (3)/Ross (4)/Ennis (5)

Gordon (6)/Okeke (7)/Aminu (8)

Bamba (9)/Birch (10)

Draft Pick (11) - I'm assuming PG/SG

12-15 taken up by whatever we have to sort through to get rid of Vuc and Vet minimums.  I'm guessing we can find a back-up PG and SG in there somewhere.

Will be way more fun to watch.

You realize you counted Ross twice?