Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic @ Raptors - Wednesday, Nov. 20th at 7:30 P.M.

All I know is that when Birch started playing last year we started winning. Bamba better step it up and show something during this stretch or it will be time to move on from him once Vuch returns

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

B/R NBA Player Rankings: Top 15 Centers for 2019-20

1.  Nikola Jokic

2. Joel Embiid

3.  Karl Anthony-Townes

4.  Rudy Gobert

5.  LaMarcus Aldridge

6.  Kristaps Porzingis

7.  Andre Drummond

8.  Myles Turner

9.  Nikola Vucevic

10. Steven Adams

11. Marc Gasol

12.  Brook Lopez

13.  Clint Capela

14. Jonas Valanciunas

15.  Deandre Ayton

Edit:  Dwight Howard is playing pretty well with the Lakers

THERE YOU GO!

Link  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2858459-br-nba-player-rankings-top-15-centers-for-2019-20#slide1

B/R, I dont think that turner is better than Vuch.  He is a better defender but vuch has him in every other category - especially passing, rebounding, and post game.

There is not a big gap from Vuch and Joker. Joker is no stud on defense either. Vuch is actually a better defender and rebound than Joker.

Easy, I think vuch could be higher on that list. Particularly, if Joker is number 1.

4 minutes ago, magicblue said:

All I know is that when Birch started playing last year we started winning. Bamba better step it up and show something during this stretch or it will be time to move on from him once Vuch returns

I still don't think it's really fair to point to Birch as the sole reason we started winning. 

It was Ross upping his scoring, Gordon going on a good shooting streak, Isaac going from a 28% three point shooter to a 38% three point shooter, switching Grant for briscoe and MCW changing up the pace and getting facilitators in the second unit, and switching a higher usage horrible player in Simmons to a low usage high energy player in iwundu. 

We played 17 games against non-playoff teams and caught Brooklyn missing most of their starters, Milwaukee without giannis, Toronto without Kawhi, golden State without Durant, and Philly without Simmons.

So yeah, going from an unreliable rookie to a very reliable Birch helped but Birch wasn't "the reason" anymore than any of the other pieces were the reason. 

The signs of us going on a run started with Bamba still in the lineup. We lost 5 games due to bad luck. 

30 minutes ago, LaVar said:

B/R, I dont think that turner is better than Vuch. He is a better defender but vuch has him in every other category. Especially passing, rebounding, and post game.

I'm not sure Vuc is better at posting than Turner. Vucevic's post play looks pretty but it's completely ineffective on a per-possession basis. Turner rarely posts at all. 

10 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I'm not sure Vuc is better at posting than Turner. Vucevic's post play looks pretty but it's completely ineffective on a per-possession basis. Turner rarely posts at all. 

Its simple. Turner does not post, because he is not a post player. He is pick and pop. Vuch kills small players in the post. This is important in this new switching league.  Vuch also commands a double team there... It is why we can run the offense through him and where a lot of his assist are generated.

2 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I still don't think it's really fair to point to Birch as the sole reason we started winning. 

It was Ross upping his scoring, Gordon going on a good shooting streak, Isaac going from a 28% three point shooter to a 38% three point shooter, switching Grant for briscoe and MCW changing up the pace and getting facilitators in the second unit, and switching a higher usage horrible player in Simmons to a low usage high energy player in iwundu. 

We played 17 games against non-playoff teams and caught Brooklyn missing most of their starters, Milwaukee without giannis, Toronto without Kawhi, golden State without Durant, and Philly without Simmons.

So yeah, going from an unreliable rookie to a very reliable Birch helped but Birch wasn't "the reason" anymore than any of the other pieces were the reason. 

The signs of us going on a run started with Bamba still in the lineup. We lost 5 games due to bad luck. 

I never said he was the sole reason. Grant and Simmons not playing helped too and there were other factors as well. But his energy is contagious and is so polar opposite of what Bamba brings. I think Cliff is gonna have a hard time demoting him back to 3rd string bench warmer once Vuc returns 

2 hours ago, LaVar said:

Its simple. Turner does not post, because he is not a post player. He is pick and pop. Vuch kills small players in the post. This is important in this new switching league.  Vuch also commands a double team there... It is why we can run the offense through him and where a lot of his assist are generated.

The top 15 centers in the B/R list are not small.

6 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I’ve never seen Birch being bullied by a center in all the games I’ve watched him play. What he lacks for in height he makes up with strength and athleticism. While I am concerned a little with spacing Birch actually showed 3 point range in the offseason/preseason. Not saying he’s a threat out there but if he can hit open 3’s and bring that all around hustle I think we will be a better team because of it. 

Birch did better than what I remembered, but it’s at 5:33 on this video: 

Birch cedes deep positioning to Gasol in the paint, and then gives up ground to Gasol pretty easily once he starts backing down. He’s not dominated by Gasol, but he’s outmatched by Gasol’s strength here and gives up an easy bucket. Post ups are inefficient so I’m not worried about it since that kind of play will be a pretty rare occurrence, but strength can be an issue for Birch against centers in the mold of Gasol.

58 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

Birch cedes deep positioning to Gasol in the paint, and then gives up ground to Gasol pretty easily once he starts backing down. He’s not dominated by Gasol, but he’s outmatched by Gasol’s strength here and gives up an easy bucket. Post ups are inefficient so I’m not worried about it since that kind of play will be a pretty rare occurrence, but strength can be an issue for Birch against centers in the mold of Gasol.

He’s better than vuch against gasol. And gasol is a large man. 

1 hour ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

That's kind of the point I'm trying to make though. Gasol can push Birch around but he's not much of an offensive player anymore. There's only a few guys that can actively exploit him. 

10 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I’ve never seen Birch being bullied by a center in all the games I’ve watched him play. What he lacks for in height he makes up with strength and athleticism. While I am concerned a little with spacing Birch actually showed 3 point range in the offseason/preseason. Not saying he’s a threat out there but if he can hit open 3’s and bring that all around hustle I think we will be a better team because of it. 

If he starts, he'll have Fultz, Isaac, Gordon, and Fournier surrounding him.  Spacing should not be a big issue.  Probably more shots for Isaac, Fultz, and Gordon, and hopefully a faster tempo.

9 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I agree.

MCW was a big reason. It was a combination of Ross, Khem, and MCW.