Soul Bro

2019-2020 Official Trade Ideas Thread

If it was Vooch for Ayton and a filler I would do that in a heart beat.  But Phoenix would laugh at us with that offer.  I mean let's be real when you consider age, contract, and playing ability JI is our only true so called untouchable asset.  Not saying Markelle can't become that but he needs an off season not worrying about health and just working on his game.  It's time for our franchise to come to a realization that 7 or 8 years of Fournier and Vuc leading the way leads to at best mediocrity on a good day.   It's like your favorite NFL team realizing there current quarterback can never get them where they want to go.  And what do smart teams do at that point they make a change and go in a different direction!  I know one thing at the beginning of this season the Knicks and the Magic had one thing in common and that is both of us had 0% chance of making the finals.  How many times will getting our asses kicked in the first round with no room for improvement satisfy fans?  Being a small market we need to move heaven and earth to find a true star first and foremost.  Once we have that with a good supporting cast and cap room we can talk about adding another star and competing for titles!   Does anybody on here who are fans of other leagues and sports teams thing it is okay for your team to strive for mediocrity?   Wow I think I just blacked out......Lol    PS.  I don't want to hear how some modicum of first round success is somehow going to lead a superstar to play here.  That's crap stars follow other stars and we don't have the cap room.  

2 hours ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

If it was Vooch for Ayton and a filler I would do that in a heart beat.  But Phoenix would laugh at us with that offer.  I mean let's be real when you consider age, contract, and playing ability JI is our only true so called untouchable asset.  Not saying Markelle can't become that but he needs an off season not worrying about health and just working on his game.  It's time for our franchise to come to a realization that 7 or 8 years of Fournier and Vuc leading the way leads to at best mediocrity on a good day.   It's like your favorite NFL team realizing there current quarterback can never get them where they want to go.  And what do smart teams do at that point they make a change and go in a different direction!  I know one thing at the beginning of this season the Knicks and the Magic had one thing in common and that is both of us had 0% chance of making the finals.  How many times will getting our asses kicked in the first round with no room for improvement satisfy fans?  Being a small market we need to move heaven and earth to find a true star first and foremost.  Once we have that with a good supporting cast and cap room we can talk about adding another star and competing for titles!   Does anybody on here who are fans of other leagues and sports teams thing it is okay for your team to strive for mediocrity?   Wow I think I just blacked out......Lol    PS.  I don't want to hear how some modicum of first round success is somehow going to lead a superstar to play here.  That's crap stars follow other stars and we don't have the cap room.  

The difference in the NFL with quarterbacks is that some teams stick with an average or flawed quarterback because you can win with an average or flawed quarterback with the right supporting cast. The Bucs and Ravens are prime examples of teams that won the big game thanks to an elite defense and solid enough offensive supporting cast. The Giants even won a pair of Super Bowls with Eli Manning.

You can’t compensate the same way in the NBA. To win the finals a team needs at least one star if not multiple stars. Small market teams like ours are unlikely to attract those that test free agency unless we happen to have someone appealing enough to join, but we clearly don’t have that right now. We have a group who’s ceiling is the 8th seed. Grit and grind is all well and good but unless one of our young players ascends to star status, we get lucky in the draft, or land someone via a trade in a rental that decides to stay, we are unlikely to win anything under the current roster construction.

Sad, but true. So that leaves us with two choices. Continue with the current roster and try to get better even though we are unlikely to do so, or blow it up and start from the ground up. Sell Vuc, Fournier etc for whatever we can get in return and build around a young core of Fultz, Isaac and Bamba. With that said I don’t see us doing that under the current front office and coaching set up. We’ll be another Charlotte type team happy to compete for a low seed. 

2 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

The difference in the NFL with quarterbacks is that some teams stick with an average or flawed quarterback because you can win with an average or flawed quarterback with the right supporting cast. The Bucs and Ravens are prime examples of teams that won the big game thanks to an elite defense and solid enough offensive supporting cast. The Giants even won a pair of Super Bowls with Eli Manning.

You can’t compensate the same way in the NBA. To win the finals a team needs at least one star if not multiple stars. Small market teams like ours are unlikely to attract those that test free agency unless we happen to have someone appealing enough to join, but we clearly don’t have that right now. We have a group who’s ceiling is the 8th seed. Grit and grind is all well and good but unless one of our young players ascends to star status, we get lucky in the draft, or land someone via a trade in a rental that decides to stay, we are unlikely to win anything under the current roster construction.

Sad, but true. So that leaves us with two choices. Continue with the current roster and try to get better even though we are unlikely to do so, or blow it up and start from the ground up. Sell Vuc, Fournier etc for whatever we can get in return and build around a young core of Fultz, Isaac and Bamba. With that said I don’t see us doing that under the current front office and coaching set up. We’ll be another Charlotte type team happy to compete for a low seed. 

I say blow it up!  But I succinctly remember the words of Alex Martins  'We want a team that can "COMPETE" for a very long time".  I blame him for all of this crap since Dwight left!

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I just want a guy we can finally build around. It’s been too damn long.

I don't know if you remember the McGrady years when he made the playoffs with a bunch of CBA players?  At least we had a puncher's chance as a 7th or 8th seed because we had him!!  People always try to bring up the lottery did not work for us.  Really?  How in the hell did we get to two NBA finals (Shaq, and Dwight)  2 #1picks in the lottery.

13 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

I say blow it up!  But I succinctly remember the words of Alex Martins  'We want a team that can "COMPETE" for a very long time".  I blame him for all of this crap since Dwight left!

Blowing it up every time we face a little adversity is a coward's move. 

3 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

I don't know if you remember the McGrady years when he made the playoffs with a bunch of CBA players?  At least we had a puncher's chance as a 7th or 8th seed because we had him!!  People always try to bring up the lottery did not work for us.  Really?  How in the hell did we get to two NBA finals (Shaq, and Dwight)  2 #1picks in the lottery.

I’m not saying blow it up and tank. Just tired of the same ol

1 minute ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

Not totally blowing it up just moving on from Vooch,  Fournier and the Hennigan era.  What to you propose professor?

Oh. That's not blowing it up. 

Yeah we should do that. I'm skeptical we'll trade Vucevic this season unless we have a really bad January (which is possible). We'd be dumb not to trade fournier. 

5 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I’m not saying blow it up and tank. Just tired of the same ol

Well, we're kind of finding ourselves in a position to give fultz more shots. Let's see if this get him going again. 

1 minute ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Oh. That's not blowing it up. 

Yeah we should do that. I'm skeptical we'll trade Vucevic this season unless we have a really bad January (which is possible). We'd be dumb not to trade fournier. 

Evan and Vooch are just those NBA players that put up stats but don't move the needle when it comes to wins.  Time for WeltHam to put there stamp on the franchise.

• Like 1