Soul Bro

2019-2020 Official Trade Ideas Thread

I had a moment of clarity earlier. 

I think our offensive-defensive player balance is ok. I've thought for a long time adding an offensive player in place of a defensive player would possibly destroy our ceiling as a defensive team. 

But that doesn't really mean we can't add an offensive upgrade to an offensive player. 

So I think Fournier and a pick for JJ is something realistic and something that would improve our offense. 

JJ provides a big upgrade on the skills we need from Evan but doesn't necessarily need the ball as often freeing up shots for other guys. We save a chunk of money letting us fill out the bench with a vet. So basically we'd be turning a 37-38% three point shooter into a 41% three point shooter. 

The downside is Fournier can get to the basket and JJ can't so we're losing that part of his game and need fultz and Gordon to take that responsibility. But that could be a good thing. 

I can't figure out how I feel about a DeRozan trade idea. I think he'd be an upgrade in a vacuum over Fournier. But can you cover for a Fultz/DeRozan backcourt with the average shooters we have elsewhere in the starting lineup? If Fultz was even an average shooter, I think it could work. But he's not. Do you bench him? DJ/DeRozan/Isaac/Gordon/Vucevic has got to be a playoff roster, right? You're not really giving up on Fultz, just putting him where he can best succeed, with the second unit. Don't even change their minutes. But can he come back from that? Is it worth the possibility of hurting Fultz to get the team another year of playoff experience.

And who would the trade be for? I would assume Fournier, but what filler even works? Aminu? Who could we reasonably get to replace Aminu?

7 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I think our offensive-defensive player balance is ok. I've thought for a long time adding an offensive player in place of a defensive player would possibly destroy our ceiling as a defensive team. 

But that doesn't really mean we can't add an offensive upgrade to an offensive player. 

So I think Fournier and a pick for JJ is something realistic and something that would improve our offense. 

JJ provides a big upgrade on the skills we need from Evan but doesn't necessarily need the ball as often freeing up shots for other guys. We save a chunk of money letting us fill out the bench with a vet. So basically we'd be turning a 37-38% three point shooter into a 41% three point shooter. 

The downside is Fournier can get to the basket and JJ can't so we're losing that part of his game and need fultz and Gordon to take that responsibility. But that could be a good thing. 

You bastard! Stop playing with my emotions like that. That's bloody brilliant!

12 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

And JJ has never missed the playoffs in his career! Let’s do it!

3 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

We probably could. 

And he's better than he's played this year. He's feeling with stuff off the court. 

But I don't know. The point of Smith was to get a point guard who could get to the rim and score a bit and hopefully develop him where he could play efficient, winning basketball. 

Now that we have fultz we don't need to gamble with guys like him anymore. 

I don't even want to gamble, just watch New York get fleeced. The enjoyment factor.

4 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

fournier is also a better defender at 6'7" and can play sf

8 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Well, not willing to argue if this would be the "boost" that we most need at the moment, I think that if we would go down this way, there would be better alternatives than JJ out there at the moment.

As a Magic fan, I totally understand the emotional affection with JJ but IMO, I would prefer to go for Danuel House for example, who I hoped we had chased during the this past summer free agency...

Putting all the emotions aside, D.House has better shooting numbers, can play at both SG and SF, is younger, taller and his contract is way more team-friendly (around 3.7M/year until 2022 instead of JJ's 13M/year until 2021).

Landing a deal with HOU and convince them on taking Fournier's contract could be more tricky, on the other end...

35 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Well, not willing to argue if this would be the "boost" that we most need at the moment, I think that if we would go down this way, there would be better alternatives than JJ out there at the moment.

As a Magic fan, I totally understand the emotional affection with JJ but IMO, I would prefer to go for Danuel House for example, who I hoped we had chased during the this past summer free agency...

Putting all the emotions aside, D.House has better shooting numbers, can play at both SG and SF, is younger, taller and his contract is way more team-friendly (around 3.7M/year until 2022 instead of JJ's 13M/year until 2021).

Landing a deal with HOU and convince them on taking Fournier's contract could be more tricky, on the other end...

Interesting. I am definitely not going say I know how player X is going to do for us over player Y. Stat wise it looks like D. House can rain in those 3's. The issue I have, and I am still trying to figure out our offense, is are we looking for those one-dimensional types or do we want someone who can shoot the 3 AND run the screen and roll? Personally, my uneducated eye would say the more versatile a guy is offensively the better because how are we going to score if our 3's aren't falling. Other teams do that to us all the time. They shoot the 3, but they also run the screen and roll to mix it up. 

45 minutes ago, JayMac said:

House isn't available. 

Veterans on rebuilding teams that fall out of playoff contention are about to be available. 

51 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

House isn't available.

Like it has been said before in this topic, everyone, apart from some key players, is available at the right price... In this case, I think apart from Harden and Westbrook(for now), anyone in HOU can be made available at some point. And by including Fournier in a the deal for House, I think they would at least give it some thought.

51 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Veterans on rebuilding teams that fall out of playoff contention are about to be available.

Are you trying to say that Beal may...eventually... be available? :)

10 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

You’re finally seeing the light. I’m all for Jrue or JJ. While I probably wouldn’t include Bamba in a JJ trade, I would in a Jrue trade.