Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic @ Hawks - Saturday, Oct. 26th at 7:30 P.M.

7 hours ago, Catalina Maria said:

Problem is Fournier. 4th quarter hero ball kept Fultz from flourishing with that unit. Fournier kept forcing shots instead of letting the game come to them.

SL is still flawed. I think Iwundu over Fournier in that unit but we are too blind to see it. 

I know saying trolly things is your shtick but I'm pretty sure you actually believe this one.  You're complaining about the only starter who did anything worth a damn last night.  And he should've been at the line for 3 FTs in a critical moment if the refs didn't miss a blatant hit to the head.

In a game where:

• We shot 35% overall, 16% on threes (5/31)
  • Augustin, Vooch, Bamba, Isaac, Gordon, Aminu accounted for 0 made threes
  • We were outrebounded and assisted
  • Vooch & Bamba showed absolutely no resistance in the paint
  • Trae Young went nuclear

it somehow came down to the final meaningful Hawks possession.  I'm not a big moral victories guy but on any other night or if any other veteran makes a couple more open shots, we win.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, J-Mac said:

I thought trae was gonna be a streaky 6th man at best, I was taking a lot of heat for wanting to draft him

Comments like this make me laugh. A full season of play showed that he was indeed streaky. He shot the ball inefficently and hit the 3 ball at a clip of 32.4% this was on top of being statistically pretty much the worst player defensively in the entire NBA. Last season he had periods where he shot the ball really well and looked very very good, this then would drop off a cliff and he would have long stretches of taking poor shots, shooting poorly, turning the ball over, defending awfully etc etc. He threw up one of the most stupidiest 3 point shots in the 1st quarter in tonights game that I've seen for some time but sure, let's make judgements off a 2 game sample?

He's one of those players that will most likely put up pretty decent scoring numbers in the regular season and have periods where he goes off and looks brilliant and other stretches where that drops off a cliff all while his team is losing most of those games. Unless he can become consistent and find other ways to affect the game if his shot isn't falling (taking more care with the ball as he is a good passer and becoming even a below average defender as right now he really is bad.) I think he struggles to be relevant. If he ever gets into a series of playoff games where the game slows down and opponents are able to scheme for him and defence ramps up then I think he becomes a huge liability and will get targeted. Ofc he is still young and can improve on some of those things and if he does I will be one of those to gladly say I was wrong about him.

My takeaway from tonight after sleeping on it is we almost found a way to win this game on the road while having 7 of our 10 players play poorly, even then, it took a fluke bank shot and a player to have a 'career' night to give us a loss. Only players that came out of that game looking decent were Fournier, Fultz and MCW. I don't see us having many games where the entire starting line up makes only 1 3 point shot. We shoot the 3 at a paltry 25% we win that game last night. It's early season, weird things happen, Clippers lost to a Suns team that was missing 2 key players. I'll be concerned if this is still happening 10/15 games into the season.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

In a game where:

• We shot 35% overall, 16% on threes (5/31)
  • Augustin, Vooch, Bamba, Isaac, Gordon, Aminu accounted for 0 made threes
  • We were outrebounded and assisted
  • Vooch & Bamba showed absolutely no resistance in the paint
  • Trae Young went nuclear

it somehow came down to the final meaningful Hawks possession.  I'm not a big moral victories guy but on any other night or if any other veteran makes a couple more open shots, we win.

Very much this. That was one of the worst games I've seen where a huge amount of players had off nights at the same time, yet we still nearly found a way to win that one.

• Upvote 1

I also think we should prepare ourselves for the possibility that it takes Clifford time to find his successful rotations & minutes distributions, just like it did last year.  So far something just feels off about the substitution patterns.  For instance, DJ getting pulled 4.5 minutes into the game feels weird, as much as I love Fultz.  The whole MCW at 2 thing is unnatural, despite the fact that he nearly single-handedly won us the game in the 4th.  There are some things that might take time to shake out.

9 hours ago, MagicOne said:

Has he reached his ceiling yet ? Sure seems like it. This is as good as it gets folks with AG. Bamba looks like a cardboard cutout on the court at times.

I heard he worked hard on his game over the summer. However; after seeing him play in the regular season, I do wonder what it was he worked on. I like AG, but he seems more like an athlete that plays basketball instead of a basketball ball player. Maybe he needs to get his legs under him and we will see him (and our other guys) improve over the next few games.

I think we’re still evaluating the rotations. Bamba looks slow and lethargic like last year. AG is forcing it again (he may have peaked; this is year 6). Let’s see how things go, but we need shooting and creation and DRuss might be available for a big? Just saying something to keep an eye on.