argentinaworldchampion

Current players stats

How about starting the season with 7 straight games where they score less than 100?   I’m betting the Magic have never had a start like that before.  

27 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

How about starting the season with 7 straight games where they score less than 100?   I’m betting the Magic have never had a start like that before.  

The 14-15 team started 7 straight games scoring less than 100 if you don't count an overtime win against Minnesota where we scored 94 in regulation. 

6 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

The 14-15 team started 7 straight games scoring less than 100 if you don't count an overtime win against Minnesota where we scored 94 in regulation. 

How easy it is to forget those awful years. How many games below 100 would it take to be a record bad start for us offensively? 8? 10?

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

How easy it is to forget those awful years. How many games below 100 would it take to be a record bad start for us offensively? 8? 10?

It depends on what years you want to include. 

Like I was saying earlier, total points only really matters in reference to pace. The 97-98 magic had 30 straight games not reaching 100 points but they played at 87 possessions per game.  The Knicks game we only scored 95 points but we only got 89 possessions. If we played as fast as we typically play we would have been at 106.  If we're able to dictate pace with our defense we can still create an above average offense while not scoring 100 ppg. 

But we're not doing that. I just want to continue to point out that 100 points isn't the goal. Just scoring more points than your opponent is. And there's a variety of ways to do that. 

In today’s NBA though, you’re not going to be consistently successful scoring under 100.  You might get away with it occasionally, but it’s not like it was in the 1990’s. Rule changes have hampered defense and encouraged higher scoring.  

22 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

In today’s NBA though, you’re not going to be consistently successful scoring under 100.  You might get away with it occasionally, but it’s not like it was in the 1990’s. Rule changes have hampered defense and encouraged higher scoring.  

You can if you can slow the game down because total points don't matter, per play efficiency matters. Most teams shifted to pace and space so there's not many teams trying to slow things down but the 16-17 jazz won 51 games consistently scoring under 100 because they played at 91 possessions per game. 

Basically I don't know why we're so obsessed with the 100 points number. If we score 100 points tonight it doesn't mean we had a good offensive game if we played at Dallas' typical 101 possessions per game. But if we had 99 points in a 94 possession game that would be a big step in the right direction.