Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

On 3/31/2020 at 4:49 PM, hootie249 said:

If you read the article it says Orlando would be a possibility. Lets talk about this. I'm not a sports nut so i can think of a few venues, help me out. Obviously Amway and Amalie.

All the big universities, i really only know UCF and USF. Wide world of sports? RDV?  Obviously we are a large metro area who hasn't had a lot of positive tests yet.What do you think of our chances?

If you are trying to keep within a certain travel time/distance, USF might be too far. Assuming you are going to house the teams in I-Drive hotels;  Amway, Wide World of Sports, RDV, UCF, Lakeland, and maybe one or two of the larger, newer high schools should give you some options all within a 30-45 minute radius. With extensive cleaning time needed between games for health/safety reasons, you probably can't do more than two a day at any one venue; but if you have five venues, that gives you up to 10 games and 20 teams actively competing on a daily basis. I actually think we would have a very good chance of hosting something like that, because we have a large number of high-end hotels, and enough updated facilities already in place to make it feasible; where others on the list may not have both. 

MAGIC'S D.J. AUGUSTIN AIDING NEW ORLEANS HOSPITAL WORKERS AMID CORONAVIRUS CRISIS

By Marc Spears - Espn  April  1, 2020

D.J. Augustin has 3,427 assists in his NBA career. But the Orlando Magic point guard is making bigger contributions in his hometown of New Orleans, which has been devastated by the coronavirus.

Augustin recently made a donation to Krewe of Red Beans that provided food for frontline hospital workers who are treating patients with COVID-19.

“They’re getting red beans and rice. They’re getting quality food,” Augustin told The Undefeated. “It’s not just McDonald’s or cold deli sandwiches. It’s quality food for these doctors and nurses to fuel their bodies for what they’re doing. Some of them were going all day without eating.”

Augustin and his wife, Brandy, have been in Orlando, Florida, since the NBA suspended the 2019-20 season due to the coronavirus on March 11. They were alarmed by the effects of COVID-19 nationally, but especially in New Orleans, which has been one of the hard-hit cities in the country.

Augustin still considers New Orleans home and gives a free basketball camp there every summer. Nightmarish memories of how New Orleanians were affected during the deadly Hurricane Katrina inspired him and his wife to help their hometown during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“My wife and I being New Orleanians coming from Katrina when we were young, we saw the aftermath is when people needed the most help,” Augustin said. “We were talking about it, seeing how we can help now and after all of this is over.”

Krewe of Red Beans is known for hosting a Mardi Gras parade since 2009 called the Red Beans Parade. Its founder, Devin De Wulf, has been affected by COVID-19. The first two people in New Orleans who died of the disease were his friends.

His wife, Annelies, is an emergency room doctor at University Medical Center. When his wife told him (husband, Devin De Wulf) that she and her co-workers were hungry as they fought COVID-19 and enjoyed some cookies a nurse made, Devin turned the Krewe of Red Beans’ efforts toward using charitable donations to pay for meals for doctors, nurses, technicians, hospital security, housekeeping and other staff and EMTs.

Augustin heard about these efforts through a cousin who is a nurse and works with De Wulf’s wife. After exploring how to help, it was recommended that a donation be made to Krewe of Red Beans. After doing a background check, Augustin decided to partner with them.

“The thing I like about it is we’re helping feed the frontline,” Augustin said. “The nurses, the doctors. They are going all day without eating, trying to help people that are sick while risking their health and lives to do so. I heard that they shut the [hospital] cafeterias because they don’t want people in the cafeterias cooking and congregating. . ."

De Wulf had no clue who Augustin was when his representatives reached out. But after hearing about his NBA career, his connection to New Orleans and watching YouTube highlights, De Wulf was proud to join forces.

“It was pretty amazing to have an NBA player reach out,” De Wulf said. “I can’t stress enough how crucial the timing was. . ."

Link:  https://theundefeated.com/features/magics-d-j-augustin-aiding-new-orleans-hospital-workers-amid-coronavirus-crisis/

20cA3f.png

12 hours ago, HighAngleDad said:

Fox Sports will replay the January game against Miami, I predict we win 105-85.  I will watch to see how close I am.

Right on target! :P :P :P

4 hours ago, jjgator said:

Yeah he also said in the sentence prior that they were going to sweep the Lakers... a series they ended up not winning. Doesn't seem like his evaluation holds much water.

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

Yeah he also said in the sentence prior that they were going to sweep the Lakers... a series they ended up not winning. Doesn't seem like his evaluation holds much water.

Yeah, they lost in 6 games too. We lost in 5, but two of those first three games were really close and the series could've easily been 2-1 in our favor heading into game 4. We also manhandled the Cavs in the ECFs (6 games, but the series wasn't nearly as close as that). 

Staying inside for so long has been brutal since we are naturally social creatures who connect verbally or through gestures.   

The covid is like a whip of attrition.  This is most vulnerable I've ever seen the united states in my lifetime.  Everyone, specifically medical personal, looks defeated.  They themselves if course getting infected. This is the most I've sought out for news in a decade in a half.  

Today I went out and nearly damn near everyone has a mask now. I havent been out for 2 weeks.  Reality has set in for many as everyone is sharing the experience of being associated with someone who succumbed.  

A media detox is in order but boy, do I miss talking to people face to face normally.  

Stay safe friends.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ~O~ said:

Staying inside for so long has been brutal since we are naturally social creatures who connect verbally or through gestures.   

The covid is like a whip of attrition.  This is most vulnerable I've ever seen the united states in my lifetime.  Everyone, specifically medical personal, looks defeated.  They themselves if course getting infected. This is the most I've sought out for news in a decade in a half.  

Today I went out and nearly damn near everyone has a mask now. I havent been out for 2 weeks.  Reality has set in for many as everyone is sharing the experience of being associated with someone who succumbed.  

A media detox is in order but boy, do I miss talking to people face to face normally.  

Stay safe friends.  

Thanks for sharing, ~O~. We all have to be careful, but I'm nervous because I live alone with no one close to me. So I have to risk going out, which I try to avoid doing as much as possible.

You stay safe as well, ~O~.

q4iqbp.png

• Like 1