Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

1 hour ago, magicblue said:

In 15 mins, when my son wakes up, I get to explain to him that we won’t be going to the game tonight, and he won’t be on the court paired up with a Magic player during the national anthem, and we won’t be cutting down the net on the court after the game, and he won’t be getting a Jonathan Isaac bobble head ...on his 8th birthday. Thanks NBA

Really, you are blaming the NBA ? Health comes before the entertainment. Just enjoy the day with your son. You guys will go to the game when they resume. Would you really want to go and risk getting your whole family getting infected just so you could have the bobble head ? Ridiculous. There will be 100s of games left, but we only have 1 life each.  Happy birthday to your little buddy!

• Like 1

I can understand the disappointment, and even if I concur that the media are overblowing the matter, it's still serious.

Here in Europe has hit before than in USA (probably Mauro and CTMagicUK could relate their own experience ) and a lot of competition of different sports has been canceled, only a few are resisting.

More than that, I'm in Italy and that's the second worst nation right now after China. All nation is actually closed and separated from other countries, no planes and connections at all, borders are off-limits, and all the people inside is said to stay confined at home H24 unless you have something really urgent to do. It's not a good situation or experience, but at the same time I think that the best thing to do is not panic, and also disconnect from all the chaos that media produces.

So, losing a basket game with your son is a shame (happy birthday to him btw), but look at the big picture and health is just more important.

10 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

I don't really know what to say on it all. But yeah if your old or have a poor immune system stay safe and vigilant.

Seems to me like the mass panic has been driven up by the media. Quite outrageous really.

It really is just a strain of flu. I'd be more concerned if it the death toll was kids and younger people .. it's not at all

Yes it's quite strange. Like a classic flu but with different characteristics and a lot more infectious.

In Italy until yesterday there're been 12.462 infected, and 827 deaths unfortunately. Almost 100% of the victims as you said has been older people with previous problems, or at least people with one of those. The rate is 6,6%, strangely higher than in other countries (around 3/4%) and obviously a lot higher than a normal influence (1/2 %).

Total population here is around 60m, just to understand the degree of the issue. That means that until now only a minimal part of the people (0,02%) has been infected, but it's obviously something you can't downplay, or it will get bigger and bigger everyday.

10 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

I don't really know what to say on it all. But yeah if your old or have a poor immune system stay safe and vigilant.

Seems to me like the mass panic has been driven up by the media. Quite outrageous really.

It really is just a strain of flu. I'd be more concerned if it the death toll was kids and younger people .. it's not at all

I am one of those in the older category. I am not panicking, but I am definitely going to be vigilant. If I feel something like the flu coming on, I am staying home and then calling Cigna's Ask  Doctor to ask where I can get tested (hopefully for free). I work with the public, and my wife's a teacher. I wouldn't want to get anyone else infected. Because of allergies, I have become susceptible to bronchitis, so hopefully, it won't take me down if I get it. Glad I have life insurance. :-)

1 hour ago, random said:

Really, you are blaming the NBA ? Health comes before the entertainment. Just enjoy the day with your son. You guys will go to the game when they resume. Would you really want to go and risk getting your whole family getting infected just so you could have the bobble head ? Ridiculous. There will be 100s of games left, but we only have 1 life each.  Happy birthday to your little buddy!

I can say with nearly 100% certainty that if a game was played in Orlando tonight not a soul would walk away with coronavirus, and even if they did they would have roughly the same likelihood of perishing as anyone diagnosed with influenza B (with similar risk factors). This whole thing is getting totally blown out of proportion...that's what's ridiculous.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, magicblue said:

I can say with nearly 100% certainty that if a game was played in Orlando tonight not a soul would walk away with coronavirus, and even if they did they would have roughly the same likelihood of perishing as anyone diagnosed with influenza B (with similar risk factors). This whole thing is getting totally blown out of proportion...that's what's ridiculous.

There’s a 3% fatality rate. Amway holds 20,000. Even if it’s just at 50% capacity or below, there’s a decent chance someone dies, provided someone has the disease and transmits it. 

I don’t know what basis you have to say that nobody would have the disease other than your own convictions. It’s the same reason Florida universities have moved online— there’s a decent chance somebody has contracted the disease, and it’s better safe than sorry assuming that nobody has corona considering how contagious it is. Continuing the games, especially with an infected Utah locker room,  would be pretty irresponsible.

8 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

There’s a 3% fatality rate. Amway holds 20,000. Even if it’s just at 50% capacity or below, there’s a decent chance someone dies, provided someone has the disease and transmits it. 

I don’t know what basis you have to say that nobody would have the disease other than your own convictions. It’s the same reason Florida universities have moved online— there’s a decent chance somebody has contracted the disease, and it’s better safe than sorry assuming that nobody has corona considering how contagious it is. Continuing the games, especially with an infected Utah locker room,  would be pretty irresponsible.

Influenza B mortality rate is 1-2%. Maybe we should just cancel everything and live in shelters underground

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

It really is just a strain of flu

I want to comment on these points.

There is a tendency to think that since the mortality rate of this virus is not exceptionally high, the safeguards being taken are out of proportion with the risk. If only judging by mortality rate that might be true, but that alone is not the deciding factor for why it is so imperative to control the spread.

This virus seems to spread fairly easily per CDC. It exhibits "community spread" which means some people in an area of the infection are unaware how or where they became infected.  Just take Italy as an example, which is showing exponential spread. Three weeks ago today (2/20/20) there were 4 cases total in Italy; as of yesterday there are 12,462 cases. 

So the problem isn't the mortality. It's that unless the exponential growth curve is curtailed, at some point the prevalence will outpace our healthcare infrastructure, which will in turn put strain on other aspects of society. WHO estimates that 1 in 5 infected individuals require hospital care. How many of those patients will require ICU care (and therefore a ventilator)? For those patients, will we have an adequate supply of opioid infusions which are needed for routine ICU analgesia (fentanyl is already on shortage prior to the coronavirus outbreak)? Will the hospital be able to obtain enough intravenous fluids for supportive care? How will resources be allocated from manufacturers/distributors of drugs/devices? Will visitors be allowed? If not, what plan will be implemented for controlling the grief of family members who cannot be present at the bedside at the time of death? Where do you send people when there are no beds available?

So it's not the flu. There's a readily available flu vaccine that smart people get annually. That in itself significantly reduces the yearly spread. Also, the mortality rate of the flu is far lower than coronavirus thus far, even when considering that the coronavirus mortality rate is likely inflated (due to the fact that there have certainly been undiagnosed cases since tests weren't available initially).  I get the comparison to the flu, especially amongst young people who will not die from coronavirus, but there's more to it than that.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, ML6 said:

There is a tendency to think that since the mortality rate of this virus is not exceptionally high, the safeguards being taken are out of proportion with the risk. If only judging by mortality rate that might be true, but that alone is not the deciding factor for why it is so imperative to control the spread.

This virus seems to spread fairly easily per CDC. It exhibits "community spread" which means some people in an area of the infection are unaware how or where they became infected.  Just take Italy as an example, which is showing exponential spread. Three weeks ago today (2/20/20) there were 4 cases total in Italy; as of yesterday there are 12,462 cases. 

So the problem isn't the mortality. It's that unless the exponential growth curve is curtailed, at some point the prevalence will outpace our healthcare infrastructure, which will in turn put strain on other aspects of society. WHO estimates that 1 in 5 infected individuals require hospital care. How many of those patient's will require ICU care (and therefore a ventilator)? For those patients, will we have an adequate supply of opioid infusions which are needed for routine ICU analgesia (fentanyl is already on shortage prior to the coronavirus outbreak)? Will the hospital be able to obtain enough intravenous fluids for supportive care? How will resources be allocated from manufacturers/distributors of drugs/devices? Will visitors be allowed? If not, what plan will be implemented for controlling the grief of family members who cannot be present at the bedside at the time of death? Where do you send people when there are no beds available?

So it's not the flu. There's a readily available flu vaccine that smart people get annually. That in itself significantly reduces the yearly spread. Also, the mortality rate of the flu is far lower than coronavirus thus far, even when considering that the coronavirus mortality rate is likely inflated (due to the fact that there have certainly been undiagnosed cases since tests weren't available initially).  I get the comparison to the flu, especially amongst young people who will not die from coronavirus, but there's more to it than that.

Very well put and I agree with this completely. Also let’s not forget the elderly who may not be able to survive from this if they happen to contract the disease. We need to protect the older generation by taking these precautions because they have more to lose than those of us who are younger and don’t have compromised immune systems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

So the problem isn't the mortality. It's that unless the exponential growth curve is curtailed, at some point the prevalence will outpace our healthcare infrastructure, which will in turn put strain on other aspects of society. WHO estimates that 1 in 5 infected individuals require hospital care. How many of those patients will require ICU care (and therefore a ventilator)? For those patients, will we have an adequate supply of opioid infusions which are needed for routine ICU analgesia (fentanyl is already on shortage prior to the coronavirus outbreak)? Will the hospital be able to obtain enough intravenous fluids for supportive care? How will resources be allocated from manufacturers/distributors of drugs/devices? Will visitors be allowed? If not, what plan will be implemented for controlling the grief of family members who cannot be present at the bedside at the time of death? Where do you send people when there are no beds available?

I know it originated in China. From what? It’s an animal strain that mutated correct?

14 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I know it originated in China. From what? It’s an animal strain that mutated correct?

This is the suspected origin per CDC, yes.

Here is the CDC saying basically what I said earlier, but in a better way:

What May Happen

More cases of COVID-19 are likely to be identified in the United States in the coming days, including more instances of community spread. It’s likely that at some point, widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States will occur. Widespread transmission of COVID-19 would translate into large numbers of people needing medical care at the same time. Schools, childcare centers, and workplaces, may experience more absenteeism. Mass gatherings may be sparsely attended or postponed. Public health and healthcare systems may become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and sectors of the transportation industry may also be affected. Healthcare providers and hospitals may be overwhelmed. At this time, there is no vaccine to protect against COVID-19 and no medications approved to treat it. Nonpharmaceutical interventions would be the most important response strategy.