Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

38 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

Two way players that have struggled to stop anybody recently?  Teams continue to kill us with the Pick n Roll and set records for points and 3's against us.  Would you rather have scorers that can't play defense or 2way players that struggle defensively? 

2 way players that struggle defensively are, by definition, not two way players. 

Same reasoning: 2 way players that struggle offensively are, by definition, not two way players. 

Could easily apply to both Fultz and Isaac.

Obviously, it dipends on the opinion that everyone has about those categories. I mean, 2 way players is a rather subjective definition, as could be All-Star, or Superstar (other ones that were already discussed in the past). Is Fournier a two way player? Somebody will see his defense enough to answer yes, others will answer no. There're really no rules to define that (with borderline ones).

Both Isaac and Fultz are averaging around 12ppg this season. Is this enough? I could understand both sides.  As I previously said, both of them need just a little step to be considered two way players IMO, but they're just not there yet. They will soon, still very young and with a lot of room to improve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I don't know. There are only 10 centers in the league that have made more threes than Bamba and shoot a higher percentage. That's out of 65 centers that have played real minutes this year. 

I'd consider Bamba the better shooter but only attempting 1.7 shots lends itself to the volume arguement. Then again that may have more to do with minutes. 

1 hour ago, Fultz4thewin said:

2 way players that struggle defensively are, by definition, not two way players. 

You’re right they are more 3 and D guys if they can hit the open 3 with some consistency. I believe we have a few 3 and D guys but they just aren’t that great at the 3 part. 

Here is what I'm thinking. Someone tell me if you think I'm thinking about it the wrong way.

As much as I hate it. We may run it back next season for the most part. Here's why:

The draft class coming in isn't overwhelming, except for that "diamond in the rough guy" that no one saw turning into this type of player. 

The free agency class coming up isn't overwhelming, especially for the amount of money we have. We may be able to add 1-2 role players...MAYBE a starter if Evan opts-out. But nothing to change the franchise dramatically. 

I think we stand pat for one more year, focus on locking up Isaac, Fultz, Gordon, and Bamba, and then summer of 2021 look to make a splash in Free Agency. Maybe even get lucky and find a trade for Vucevic that solidifies our bench for a while. 

46 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

How’s that? JI sure.

Fultz can create his own offense. A team has to pay attention to him on offense. He can do multiple things to impact offense positively. 

It's not about a ppg thing. 

Danny green is a two way player even though he's never averaged more than 11.7ppg in his career. He executes his role on offense well. 

Iwundu doesn't execute in his offensive role often enough. Some games he looks good. Many games he doesn't provide anything on that end. And it's random. 

17 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

You’re right they are more 3 and D guys if they can hit the open 3 with some consistency. I believe we have a few 3 and D guys but they just aren’t that great at the 3 part. 

We don't really have any 3 and D guys. Bamba is probably the closest. 

3 and D guys play good defense and can hit open catch and shoot threes reliably. 

Ross should be a high end 3 and D guy but his defense fluctuates too often to be considered good. 

30 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Fultz can create his own offense. A team has to pay attention to him on offense. He can do multiple things to impact offense positively. 

It's not about a ppg thing. 

Danny green is a two way player even though he's never averaged more than 11.7ppg in his career. He executes his role on offense well. 

Iwundu doesn't execute in his offensive role often enough. Some games he looks good. Many games he doesn't provide anything on that end. And it's random. 

He’s limited for whatever reason. Until that outside game comes along consistently, I don’t view him as a true 2 way or a self creator of offense.

It's not absolutely ONLY a ppg thing (Danny Green btw, could be totally considered a 3&D, 70% of his shot on the last two seasons are taken from the 3 point line, so his offensive role is quite limited), as the defense is not only about rebounds (Vuc) or blocks (Bamba).

But if we don't recognise that Fultz and Isaac are left open from the 3 point line on most occasion (there should be a reason for that, in a league that maximize the 3pt shot importance) and have still mediocre (Isaac) or bad (Fultz) percentages, we're fooling ourselves. Fultz improves the bad 3% creating his own offense,  that's fair, but Isaac, better in shooting, still lacks court vision and his assist rate is quite mediocre. That's not enough, close but not enough IMO.

As I've said, it's all subjective. When Vuc is active on defense, he's a two way player too... I would only like to see them improve and maximize their strenght, that's most important than a category.

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Then they're not really 3 and D guys! :P :P :P

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

30 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Then they're not really 3 and D guys! :P :P :P

Some aren’t that great at the “D” part either.  Does that make them “neither 3 nor D” guys?

• Upvote 1