Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

Ehhhh I know it's my theory so I'm more likely to search for reasons for shadiness but I can think of some... FO not trying to freak out the fanbase that is starting to see the first glimmer of hope after 7 years, not wanting people to worry about the longterm health of a franchise cornerstone, ticket sale considerations, etc.

Admittedly, the complete tear concern of mine is solely based on Woj's report of a "severe sprain".  That term has a very specific medical definition -- a complete tear.  But it was not listed in the Magic PR release or from local people.  So if he went rogue with that term, then any degree of a tear is on the table.  I just am skeptical that Woj came up with that term on his own without having been told it.

I do agree that if it IS a complete tear, it would be odd for him to not undergo surgery.  Although literature says some Grade 3 (severe) LCL tears can be managed non-operatively, but really only if there isn't instability.

Surgery would still not be out of the question in a few weeks though right? I know they're different injuries but the Aminu surgery was announced a couple weeks afterwards as well. I'm guessing his healing wasn't as they wanted. Same could be said for Isaac down the road?

Just now, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Surgery would still not be out of the question in a few weeks though right? I know they're different injuries but the Aminu surgery was announced a couple weeks afterwards as well. I'm guessing his healing wasn't as they wanted. Same could be said for Isaac down the road?

Nah with aminu it was a meniscus tear and minor ones you can usually treat conservatively. But aminu got worse. 

With Isaac there's a lot of semantics we can play because every sprain is technically a tear. So a complete tear is technically a very severe sprain. Just like someone getting their hand chopped off is technically a severe laceration. 

So a meniscus injury is like a pad that allows your knee to glide. A tear in the meniscus might heal on its own. A meniscus repair is suturing a tear back on to the meniscus to have it heal on its own just like a cut finger might require stitches. 

A meniscectomy is when you remove a chunk of the meniscus because it won't heal. 

With Isaac, a complete tear of the ligament is like cutting a rope anchoring two things together in half. So a complete tear isn't going to heal on its own. A partial tear will depending on other factors. Sometimes complete tears won't be repaired for certain ligaments on certain people because there's not significant risk of future injury due to lifestyle. 

19 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Aminu was initially going to go with a non-operative approach but then had a setback of some kind and went with surgery.  Having surgery wasn't the initial plan as I understand it.

If Isaac's injury is grade 3 (which again, it might not be -- I am just concerned for the reasons I have laid out), then earlier surgery (within 3 weeks) seems to have better outcomes per the articles I've read so far.  But as Fultz4thewin has mentioned, opting for a non-surgical approach in the setting of a complete tear in a professional athlete seems very unlikely.  This gives credibility to his suspicion that it is a partial tear, which obviously would be much better than a complete one.

I would love to get JJZFL's take on this because he is a physician and I am not.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

I would love to get JJZFL's take on this because he is a physician and I am not.

Ohhh? Last night I was tempted to ask if you are a physician,  ML6.

So, my fellow Greater Daytona Beach area resident, JJZFL, is a real doctor. Maybe you should not have let that be known, ML6. What if he preferred anonymity on this messsge board?

I'm going to start calling him dr. J. He might not like that though. :)

5 hours ago, ML6 said:

You may not be a physician but a good clinical pharmacist can have more clinical knowledge than a physician sometimes, especially in areas that the pharmacist focuses on.  

I haven’t expressed a specific opinion on Isaac, even though I’ve been following the discussion with interest, because I’m not an orthopedist and there hasn’t really been enough information released for me to confidently research anything in particular.  My only opinion at this point is I think it’s likely Isaac won’t return this season, but I hope I’m wrong about that.  

If he doesn’t, it will raise questions again about his durability that had pretty much gone away after last season.  It would mean that he’s missed more than half of two of the three seasons he’s been in the NBA due to injury.  

3 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Ohhh? Last night I was tempted to ask if you are a physician,  ML6.

So, my fellow Greater Daytona Beach area resident, JJZFL, is a real doctor. Maybe you should not have let that be known, ML6. What if he preferred anonymity on this messsge board?

I'm going to start calling him dr. J. He might not like that though. :)

Dr. Z. works, but has no basketball connection, so it’s not very interesting.  We have a number of other physicians in this forum, I believe.  

14 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Dr. Z. works, but has no basketball connection, so it’s not very interesting.  We have a number of other physicians in this forum, I believe.  

Ah I figured out who you are. If you were an ortho I was going to start sending some business your way. 

1 hour ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Ah I figured out who you are. If you were an ortho I was going to start sending some business your way. 

Thank you. 

On 1/9/2020 at 2:33 PM, Fultz4thewin said:

-Yeah there's a reasonable shot at getting to the second round. Hard to say today because we haven't played Boston yet but there's no scary Juggernaut sitting out there and we just killed Miami. 

-hard to see a lineup removing Ross and Gordon getting to the playoffs

-definitely a ceiling with this group but the next 30 days might not be the best time to make moves

I’m not taking away from that win at all but I’m not sure we have the depth to beat Miami 60% of the time in the playoffs, maybe not Boston either but as you said it’s early.  I wouldn’t want to get rid of Ross, I mentioned Fournier.  AG doesn’t have that kind of bearing on our playoff chances like Fournier or even Ross has but I get your point.  We just need to offload AG while we can get value for him.

I'm just scratching my head about Mo, right now. I've been pulling for him for a while, and hoping that if given more playing time, he would gain confidence and develop into the player we hoped he would be.

About a month ago, when Vuch was not able to play, Birch started and Mo was the backup. Mo got more playing time because Birch was in early foul trouble. So Mo was able to play more minutes, and he did a very good job.

After watching Mo the last few games, I don't know. He looked slow and didn't show the energy and aggressiveness in the games where Vuch was not available.

Last night he looked like a baby giraffe when the team was getting back on offense. Sure, he had a few blocks, but ehh!  His screens looked weird and it was like he didn't know what to do next.

IgY8zL.gif

It might be my computer, but he still looks too thin even though he supposedly gained weight in the off season. His tall-lanky body and the slow-lumbering body movement is and will be a problem against teams with big, athletic centers who can run with their team on fast breaks.

• Upvote 2

Magic in the top 10 payroll of the NBA ! Anybody think they are a top 10 team ?? If they sign a player to fill roster they will be top 5 payroll ! What a disaster ! No All Stars no clutch go to player ! Same stuff different year ! UGH 

• Downvote 1