Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

27 minutes ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

Is Weltman still hamstrung by our cap situation, or does he have the flexibility to do something? I realize he inherited some issues, but I probably need to temper my expectations on whether he is the right guy to turn our franchise around. 

There're just a few inherited issues right now, while they've contributed to create a few more (seee Vuch, Aminu, Ross, etc) So the lack of flexibility it's not due to previous management anymore.

1 hour ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

Is Weltman still hamstrung by our cap situation, or does he have the flexibility to do something? I realize he inherited some issues, but I probably need to temper my expectations on whether he is the right guy to turn our franchise around. 

Here are the things to consider:

We have a firm deadline of July 2021 for roster moves. It's very likely we'll have to max Isaac and probably fultz at that time. Once they sign those contracts our ability to operate as players in free agency effectively ends because we'll have 60 million+ tied to those two players and we'll always carry additional salary here and there from draft picks, mle guys, etc. So long term salaries create a situation where essentially "this is our team" for the foreseeable future because once you're low on cap space it becomes easier to justify bad contacts to keep solid players like how Washington got baited into maxing Otto Porter. 

The main two definitive building blocks for this team are in their age 22 seasons. So major moves need to be made with the idea that we need to maximize the 2023-2028 seasons as that's ostensibly our peak window. So basically every move we consider has to be cognisant of how that impacts 3 years from now. 

We can only add about 5 million more in salary than we send out in trades right now. 

There's an opportunity cost to every move we make. Trading our pick for a solid piece that helps us today it's one less pick/young player that we can include to sweeten our trade offer in the next superstar deal. 

We need to keep winning to put fultz and Isaac in situations that test them to spur growth so there is value in continuously building a team for today too. 

Fournier and augustin are expiring so we need to cash them in vs losing their value (unless we consider Fournier a long term piece which I don't think we should given the last 5 games). We already played the "let's sign guys to decent contracts to preserve assets" game with Vucevic, Ross, and Aminu. In a worst case scenario we can pay to get off those contracts without killing our future too much but I'm not sure we could do the same with Fournier added to that in a deal that's adding extra years when compared to those guys. 

So with all of that in mind we're kind of in a tough situation. We want to maintain long term flexibility so major moves today carry significant risk long term. We want to maintain winning now so dumping rotation players for stuff that will only pay off long term is a bitter pill to swallow. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Here are the things to consider:

We have a firm deadline of July 2021 for roster moves. It's very likely we'll have to max Isaac and probably fultz at that time. Once they sign those contracts our ability to operate as players in free agency effectively ends because we'll have 60 million+ tied to those two players and we'll always carry additional salary here and there from draft picks, mle guys, etc. So long term salaries create a situation where essentially "this is our team" for the foreseeable future because once you're low on cap space it becomes easier to justify bad contacts to keep solid players like how Washington got baited into maxing Otto Porter. 

The main two definitive building blocks for this team are in their age 22 seasons. So major moves need to be made with the idea that we need to maximize the 2023-2028 seasons as that's ostensibly our peak window. So basically every move we consider has to be cognisant of how that impacts 3 years from now. 

We can only add about 5 million more in salary than we send out in trades right now. 

There's an opportunity cost to every move we make. Trading our pick for a solid piece that helps us today it's one less pick/young player that we can include to sweeten our trade offer in the next superstar deal. 

We need to keep winning to put fultz and Isaac in situations that test them to spur growth so there is value in continuously building a team for today too. 

Fournier and augustin are expiring so we need to cash them in vs losing their value (unless we consider Fournier a long term piece which I don't think we should given the last 5 games). We already played the "let's sign guys to decent contracts to preserve assets" game with Vucevic, Ross, and Aminu. In a worst case scenario we can pay to get off those contracts without killing our future too much but I'm not sure we could do the same with Fournier added to that in a deal that's adding extra years when compared to those guys. 

So with all of that in mind we're kind of in a tough situation. We want to maintain long term flexibility so major moves today carry significant risk long term. We want to maintain winning now so dumping rotation players for stuff that will only pay off long term is a bitter pill to swallow. 

We need to deal Fournier. Just makes sense.

36 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Treadmill/mediocrity was what they chosed, treadmill/mediocrity is what we have.

In the summer a lot of people was happy about it, I swear that now the % has changed.

P.S. I would love to consider Fultz as a building block, but as you said multiple times in the past, we cannot really know what could happen in his career with the pfisical problem he had. So, it's finger crossed and wishful thinking right now.

6 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Treadmill/mediocrity was what they chosed, treadmill/mediocrity is what we have.

In the summer a lot of people was happy about it, I swear that now the % has changed.

P.S. I would love to consider Fultz as a building block, but as you said multiple times in the past, we cannot really know what could happen in his career with the pfisical problem he had. So, it's finger crossed and wishful thinking right now.

We're not in mediocrity yet because we have long term flexibility still, trades to make, young players who have considerable improvement ahead of them. 

Where we go from here over the next 14 months or so will determine mediocrity or not. But we're in a pretty good position today. 

5 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

We're not in mediocrity yet because we have long term flexibility still, trades to make, young players who have considerable improvement ahead of them. 

Where we go from here over the next 14 months or so will determine mediocrity or not. But we're in a pretty good position today. 

Yeah. We either go upwards or Weham screws it all up and we’re talking a year from now about a regime change.

4 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

For who is the question?

I think we should dump him for a future pick and use our current pick to get a Malik Beasley type guy. Restricted free agency should help us keep his cost down. 

Nobody is going to trade their great player for a package that includes Fournier and Gordon because they are guys entering their prime and typically you trade vets for youth/picks and vice versa.

So if you want to go something like Fournier for Bazemore and Little I could see that happening but I'm not convinced we'd value that package all that much because it kind of kills this season and gives us another young player that we have to develop which is not something I think we want. 

17 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I think we should dump him for a future pick and use our current pick to get a Malik Beasley type guy. Restricted free agency should help us keep his cost down. 

Nobody is going to trade their great player for a package that includes Fournier and Gordon because they are guys entering their prime and typically you trade vets for youth/picks and vice versa.

So if you want to go something like Fournier for Bazemore and Little I could see that happening but I'm not convinced we'd value that package all that much because it kind of kills this season and gives us another young player that we have to develop which is not something I think we want. 

Technically AG is still youth. Still only 24. Issue is there no one available on that level.