Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

So aside from the fact that both Utah and Denver have winning records, and in fact are numbers 4 & 6 in the West at the moment, I also worry about these games because both arenas are at altitude.  Utah stadium is at about 4300, and Denver about 5200.  To me that's a big advantage for the team that lives at those altitudes and is acclimated.  I'd make note of the very large discrepancy between home and away records for each team, with Utah in particular being 10-3 at home and a losing record on the road.  I realize that most teams have better records at home, but not necessarily to that extent.  Top that off with Denver being the second night of a back to back.

I'm afraid those two are probably losses, but our best shot is Utah. 

Our offense is now up to 25th for the year and 16th over the past 15 games because we've been 7th in 3pt% over the last 15 games. And it's pretty much just Fournier, Ross, and Bamba supporting that number. Everyone else has been below average

Our defense is now down to 12th for the year and 20th over the last 15 games. 

37 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Our offense is now up to 25th for the year and 16th over the past 15 games because we've been 7th in 3pt% over the last 15 games. And it's pretty much just Fournier, Ross, and Bamba supporting that number. Everyone else has been below average

Our defense is now down to 12th for the year and 20th over the last 15 games. 

Any ideas on the cause of our defensive decline? My thought is that we might be over-rotating at times, leaving too many guys open, but don't know if that can account for all of the drop.

Of course we just ran a gauntlet of some of the best teams in the league too, which likely didn't help much.

20 minutes ago, Odin said:

Any ideas on the cause of our defensive decline? My thought is that we might be over-rotating at times, leaving too many guys open, but don't know if that can account for all of the drop.

Of course we just ran a gauntlet of some of the best teams in the league too, which likely didn't help much.

There's a few different reasons

5 of the last 15 games have been against top 5 offenses. 

A lack of focus in games like the Phoenix game where we were pretty much in control and just didn't really need to play defense. Also last night where we just didn't play defense for stretches. Some of that is over rotating. Some of that is wrong scheme for the opponent. Gave up a lot of offense to JJ in the mid-range. 

Weird situations, both Washington games we played good defense for most of the game and then random second half three point barrages skewed the defensive numbers for those games and the Houston game where we defended well and harden just hit ridiculous threes. 

So it's not like an every night thing. We've played elite defense against elite offensive teams like the Lakers and Milwaukee. 

I think we missed MCW a bit. 

I think Clifford is right, we never play complete games. We're either great on offense or defense but never both. So our defensive effort is need based vs always on. 

So a lot of reasons. 

11 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Anything good in this article? Need some coming back to Orlando hints!

https://theathletic.com/1462708/2019/12/15/markelle-fultz-jj-redick/?amp#click=https://t.co/EqhvLyVJsK

Good stuff. Nothing informative. JJ is really happy for markelle and ran to the bus to talk to him. 

I'm really not sure what we're supposed to do with Fournier if his play continues. He's basically played identical offense as Klay Thompson's last 2 seasons. 

He's been better than McCollum, Hield, Lavine this season. Last 15 games he's basically been prime Ray Allen.

He's on pace to have the 28th most made threes in a single season (which he should fall off from eventually because he's probably not playing 82). 

He's averaging 20ppg in games against the top 5 defenses right now. 

What do we do if he finishes the season averaging 20ppg on 45% three point shooting?

He's almost assuredly going to regress. But in a vacuum this is the exact player you want at shooting guard for this team. 

1 hour ago, Fultz4thewin said:

What if he's Kyle Lowry, Lou Williams, Goran Dragic, Mike Conley, gallinari where it just clicks later?

What if it's just a contract year performance?

If we have a CLEAR plan to replace him you let him walk. If not then open the pocket book and hope he falls somewhere in between his mean and this year. Either way he isn't easily replaceable. I like Fournier and believe he will be moveable if we ever need to  adjust our plans in the future. 

What kind of money will he command if he keeps up similar play the rest of the season? If we paid him that money will we still have enough to pay Isaac and Fultz, because if we hamstring ourselves with a big Fournier contract I think I'll lose my mind.

4 minutes ago, The Boss said:

What kind of money will he command if he keeps up similar play the rest of the season? If we paid him that money will we still have enough to pay Isaac and Fultz, because if we hamstring ourselves with a big Fournier contract I think I'll lose my mind.

I think we should strike while the iron is hot, get some assets for him. Still think even at this level he’s not a difference maker. 

3 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I'm really not sure what we're supposed to do with Fournier if his play continues. He's basically played identical offense as Klay Thompson's last 2 seasons. 

He's been better than McCollum, Hield, Lavine this season. Last 15 games he's basically been prime Ray Allen.

He's on pace to have the 28th most made threes in a single season (which he should fall off from eventually because he's probably not playing 82). 

He's averaging 20ppg in games against the top 5 defenses right now. 

What do we do if he finishes the season averaging 20ppg on 45% three point shooting?

He's almost assuredly going to regress. But in a vacuum this is the exact player you want at shooting guard for this team. 

He is not Klay on defense not even close.