Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

11 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

This is absurd. The Devos family's only function within the team really is to sign checks. They do that quite well, considering we have the fifth highest payroll in the league.

I agree they are willing to spend money but they also have hired by using nepotism and non basketball people to run the team. This is where they failed. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I agree they are willing to spend money but they also have hired by using nepotism and non basketball people to run the team. This is where they failed. 

I tried to explain this months ago before everything shut down and was met with criticism. I’m glad some people realize they are part of the problem as well. I’m grateful for everything they’ve done for this community but they need to be held accountable at some point as well. We’ve been stuck in Mediocrity for far too long and I’m tired of watching the same show over and over again. We need a new and much improved management/team from the top down in order to become a competent and successful franchise again.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I’m curious what non basketball people are running the team? 

Because from where I stand it seems that Jeff Weltman and John Hammond are the ones running the team, and h th ey are both basketball people

13 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Great idea if you want to completely waste each of those 3’s careers in Orlando. And then watch them go to other teams

If they went to other teams and have better careers then I am happy for them, **** happens

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

There's no indication Martins has anything to do with basketball decisions anymore. I can agree that they let Martins get too involved for a few years. He's a good businessman, clearly. But they seemed to learn that it wasn't working out, thus moving to a Pres. of Basketball Ops and GM structure. We can argue that the current PBO and GM are not great, but those hires were in no way nepotism. And speaking of hiring using nepotism, this is an unreasonable assessment of our team ownership long-term, as it's hard to find any organization that doesn't have some level of Nepotism, especially outside of the major cities.

Let's look at the coaching hires. Nepotism can be seen in at most 4 Coaching Hires: Brian Hill's return, Vaughn's hiring (dubious, but sure), Skiles, and Clifford (dubious). Vaughn and Clifford don't really smell like nepotism to me, all things considered. Vaughn was clearly a Hennigan hire, especially considering how they handled Skiles' hiring. Clifford as an idea fit what Orlando clearly wanted to do. Defensive coach, built good defenses around not great defensive centers in the past, etc. Call it nepotism if you like, but it looks more like fit to me. So 4 out of 13 coaches had previous ties to the team/ownership. Let's compare that to the Lakers' last 13 hires. Pat Riley, Magic Johnson, Kurt Rambis, Byron Scott, and Luke Walton all former players. huh. How 'bout the Celtics, maybe: Bill Russell and Dave Cowens were player-coaches, nepotism at its apex; Tom Heinsohn, Tom Sanders, K.C. Jones, Chris Ford, M.L. Carr were all former players; Rodgers was a former assistant. huh... holy ****, the Spurs are not exactly rampant with nepotism (aside from John Lucas), except that they had their GM fire a really successful coach to insert himself as the HC. Looks like nepotism is just a thing even really successful organizations do from time to time. Sometimes it works out great. Popovic took nepotism to its final form, but he's the GOAT coach or close to it. Riley, damn near all the Celtics coaches. hmm... maybe nepotism isn't necessarily a problem.

44 minutes ago, Anfernee1 said:

If they went to other teams and have better careers then I am happy for them, **** happens

So really you just want to gut the team just for the sake of it. You don’t actually have an idea of how to make the team better

Vanderweide and Martins. Was who I was talking about and the hockey guy who ever that was. Then the hirings that these guys made. The latest management team was not a successful duo other than getting lucky with giannis. So I’m not impressed and the hiring of Clifford by them was again not impressive. 

26 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Vanderweide and Martins. Was who I was talking about and the hockey guy who ever that was. Then the hirings that these guys made. The latest management team was not a successful duo other than getting lucky with giannis. So I’m not impressed and the hiring of Clifford by them was again not impressive. 

Hockey guy is John Gabriel and he was actually decent compared to what we have going on now. We let unqualified people run this franchise for too long and we have created a culture of losing and mediocrity. That’s why nobody respects this team around the NBA whether it’s fans or players. Look I love my Magic and always will but people need to stop being so optimistic all the time and sometimes be realists. This isn’t working and we need a change. Good points though and I hope we finally get out of this basketball purgatory.

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Vander Weide was incredibly successful until he cracked during a messy divorce from the owner's daughter (talk about stressful situations). Martins is - by all reports - excellent at his actual job, and he isn't doing any more than that anymore. Weisbrod, yes, was a joke, and a terrible mistake by the ownership. They also didn't let that mistake linger, making him step down after one year.

1 hour ago, Jason Funderburker said:

So really you just want to gut the team just for the sake of it. You don’t actually have an idea of how to make the team better

They blew it, let's face it. As the other people are discussing, questionable decisions at the top. I do not want Cliff fired or the gm's yet.. The Magic have had too many changes already in the last 8 years. So keep the coach and gm and start getting rid of players. It's time, Isaacs injury is what is really motivating me to say this. Our cap is a mess and Jonathan had the most upside of all our players. It's the team that plays it safe that gets nowhere. Trust me the injury never happened and we played the whole bubble like we did the scrimmiges then maybe we keep people.

It's too late, it's done as others have said, even in the best case scenario i do not see us even making the playoffs next year.Only if everyone else is healthy, and we replace who is leaving. Our starters are mediocre our draft picks aren't developing and our all-star plays the least important position in the new NBA.

Blow it up.