Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Mike Schmitz, formerly of Draftexpress, has an ESPN insider article about Markelle Fultz. I can't read it because I don't have insider but just a heads up for people who do.

EDIT: there's also a 12 minute YouTube video as well. Here's the link: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon MVP said:

We didn’t have to draft SGA at 6. We could have traded down. 

instead we drafted a redundant position that’s the least important in the NBA in which we had two guys ahead of him ready to go. Really baffling. 

Yeah, at the time I was also hoping that was a signal to the Vuc era to end, but in the next summer they granted him a pretty hefty contract (with not really such a big crowd of offers by other teams out there) so the hope quickly faded. Then we can discuss in hindsight if Bamba was able to be a starter or not if given the responsability, right now the answer seem negative, but that's another history.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

Makes sense now as to why he's out of the rotation.  Missed time staying in shape during his illness, missed early bubble team workouts due to isolation, carrying extra weight from bulking up.

Not sure if he's also dealing with lingering COVID effects, but hopefully he doesn't have any.  I got COVID from a patient and was out of work from 7/13-7/26.  Been back at work for 10 days and still randomly get short of breath / fatigued at times.

That could explain in part his lack of conditioning and recent troubles, but it's not like coach Clifford was using him a lot even before the break. Birch has often been the choice anyway. Not saying that it's a wrong choice, but if you want to give minutes and develop the young core, Cliff is not the right choice (and management has the responsability for that, after chosing him)

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

Makes sense now as to why he's out of the rotation.  Missed time staying in shape during his illness, missed early bubble team workouts due to isolation, carrying extra weight from bulking up.

Not sure if he's also dealing with lingering COVID effects, but hopefully he doesn't have any.  I got COVID from a patient and was out of work from 7/13-7/26.  Been back at work for 10 days and still randomly get short of breath / fatigued at times.

Yeah I've seen marathon runners and bikers on Twitter that were put down for a while. 

3 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

We didn’t have to draft SGA at 6. We could have traded down. 

instead we drafted a redundant position that’s the least important in the NBA in which we had two guys ahead of him ready to go. Really baffling. 

When we drafted him we didn't have Birch, Vuc was going into the last year of his contract and we'd just won 25 games.

Birch was a camp invite who earned a contract by playing hard. Then Vuc was an all star and we made the playoffs. 

Things changed. I'm sure with the benefit of knowing we were going to be a playoff team and Vuc would be an all star Weltman and Hammond may very well have done something different. But they didn't know that at the time and so just took the guy they were highest on. Again, hindsight is 20/20.

EDIT: I was wrong we did have Birch. I misremembered that. Though he did earn a contract with his play that year. Regardless, you don't not draft a guy because you just gave someone 3 million a season who played the same position.

13 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

When we drafted him we didn't have Birch, Vuc was going into the last year of his contract and we'd just won 25 games.

While I agree on the points you've made, if I remember correctly, it's 3 years that Birch is with us, while Bamba was drafted two summers ago.

That doesn't change the situation. I've always thought that this run we made to clinch the playoffs was great to see, but at the same time, has been a disaster for us long term considering the lingering decisions that the management has taken after that.

2 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

While I agree on the points you've made, if I remember correctly, it's 3 years that Birch is with us, while Bamba was drafted two summers ago.

That doesn't change the situation. I alwasy thought that this run we made to clinch the playoffs was great to see, but at the same time, has been a disaster for us considering the lingering decisions that the management has taken after that.

Yea I was editing my post as you replied. You're right, I got that wrong.

No AG sucks but he'd probably primarily guard Simmons who's also out so defensively it's not a huge miss like it could be. Offensively though someone has to step up and carry some of his load. Vuc has had some big games against the 76ers hopefully that can continue. We're due a decent Evan game too.