Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

15 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

hahahahahahaha

I do not know what is so funny about it, John Wall and Bradley Beal are not playing so it is not a surprise 

38 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

We lucked into it with a horribly injured East. This team stinks of the same old. Stop accepting it 

Stop accepting what? 

I've said it before, I'll say it again. We need to hand the team over to Gordon and Fultz. What this team has done with Gordon this year really reminds me of what they did with Oladipo. Dipo looked inefficient in Orlando for two reasons: 1) he wasn't quite ready, 2) the offense was never really designed to his strengths. The second thing there is the problem. Dipo had the makings of a really good mid-range player who could turn that into offense in other areas, but we rarely let him operate from mid-range, because analytics said it's bad offense. Our offense back then was designed for drive-and-kicks, Vuc & THarris down low, and open 3's. Only Vuc had a green light from mid-range most of the time. That's not a bad offensive focus, except that we ignored our 2nd pick in the draft's strengths to fit a system. Gordon has shown he can take advantage of mismatches, he's great on cuts to the rim, and he's a solid passer. Yet how often do we see the design to get him mismatches. We should be letting him run pick and rolls up top to get him on a smaller guy way more often. Fultz and Gordon 2-man-game should be way more of a focus, as Fultz is good at creating chaos off of a pick which would create roll lanes for Gordon. Instead, we have Gordon coming off of screens for 3's like he's TRoss or just being the bailout guy when the offense can't get anything else. The things Gordon does well are highly efficient basketball, even if that's not often enough what he's asked to do. The things Vuc and Fournier and TRoss do well are not efficient basketball. Gordon is the only guy on the team who plays with intensity every night (and MCW, but that's another story). Gordon is the only real 2-way player on the team right now. Yet our offense is still designed around guard/center ball screens to get open 3's and hoping Vuc can abuse his man one-on-one. So Gordon is the third or fourth option at any given time. He's going to leave, and someone (probably Golden State) is going to love him like we wouldn't.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. We need to hand the team over to Gordon and Fultz. What this team has done with Gordon this year really reminds me of what they did with Oladipo. Dipo looked inefficient in Orlando for two reasons: 1) he wasn't quite ready, 2) the offense was never really designed to his strengths. The second thing there is the problem. Dipo had the makings of a really good mid-range player who could turn that into offense in other areas, but we rarely let him operate from mid-range, because analytics said it's bad offense. Our offense back then was designed for drive-and-kicks, Vuc & THarris down low, and open 3's. Only Vuc had a green light from mid-range most of the time. That's not a bad offensive focus, except that we ignored our 2nd pick in the draft's strengths to fit a system. Gordon has shown he can take advantage of mismatches, he's great on cuts to the rim, and he's a solid passer. Yet how often do we see the design to get him mismatches. We should be letting him run pick and rolls up top to get him on a smaller guy way more often. Fultz and Gordon 2-man-game should be way more of a focus, as Fultz is good at creating chaos off of a pick which would create roll lanes for Gordon. Instead, we have Gordon coming off of screens for 3's like he's TRoss or just being the bailout guy when the offense can't get anything else. The things Gordon does well are highly efficient basketball, even if that's not often enough what he's asked to do. The things Vuc and Fournier and TRoss do well are not efficient basketball. Gordon is the only guy on the team who plays with intensity every night (and MCW, but that's another story). Gordon is the only real 2-way player on the team right now. Yet our offense is still designed around guard/center ball screens to get open 3's and hoping Vuc can abuse his man one-on-one. So Gordon is the third or fourth option at any given time. He's going to leave, and someone (probably Golden State) is going to love him like we wouldn't.

BINGO!! Couldn’t agree more. Sick and tired of it

Woke up to watch the game on League Pass this morning. Some thoughts:

I really hope we trade Evan this off-season. I stand by a lot of what I've said defending him on here (even though it's been hard these last 2 games he's sucked) but he's just not the right player for this team. Move on. Get some assets. 

Wes Iwundu and Gary Clark both looked good. It's kind of a given that they'd have energy and length but it's nice to see them make shots. More of that from them would be nice. Especially if we're going to continue to miss MCW and if we're going to miss Gordon. They should both be playing for their NBA lives being free agents this summer. 

Guard play continues to be our biggest issue. What has happened to Markelle Fultz? Am I misremembering games in the season or has he got less athletic? He's got almost no burst. Granted it doesn't help that he can't shoot so defenses sag off him but I cant remember seeing him explode to the rim once since the restart. 

We should probably let Augustin walk this summer. We need guards that can shoot and in that sense he'll be a big miss but he's not equipped to play 28 mins+ on a team where he's asked to handle the ball every time up the floor. I actually like his calmness, patience and shot making but he's small, not very athletic and aging. His handle is great but not nearly great enough to break down defenses. A contender will probably snap him up anyway. 

Terrence Ross is a frustrating basketball player. He has all the tools to be a good defensive player and we saw in this game he can make an impact when he tries but then he also has so many lapses on that end. Offensively id like to see him pass more off screens too, he did it a couple of times in this game and it was effective. 

Vuc was fine, not his best game but he wasn't terrible all things considered against a tough matchup. The Raptors worked really hard to stop him getting touches in the paint. If we end up playing them in the playoffs, which isnt a given now, I'd like Cliff and his staff to come up with a couple new actions to try and get Vuc open either in the paint or attacking the basket. 

Aaron Gordon is our best player. Until someone else proves otherwise that's my stance so I stand by what I said after the Indiana game. If you trade him it better be for something mind blowing. 

One thing that stood out to me was that Toronto really do a great job of getting even their worst offensive players touches where they can succeed. OG Anonoby, RHJ, both those guys scored in that game by coming off actions that got them going to the rim against a smaller guy. It feels like we don't put some of our guys in situations like that nearly enough. Which to be fair could be a spacing issue. Because of our bad shooting teams can collapse the paint on us whereas we had to stay home on FVV, Lowry, Davis, Powell, Siakam etc and that allowed those lesser offensive guys to drive 1 on 1 (our 1 on 1 defense in these situations was hit and miss at best - Rondae Hollis Jefferson really should not be getting to the hoop in the half court against you).

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Woke up to watch the game on League Pass this morning. Some thoughts:

I really hope we trade Evan this off-season. I stand by a lot of what I've said defending him on here (even though it's been hard these last 2 games he's sucked) but he's just not the right player for this team. Move on. Get some assets. 

Wes Iwundu and Gary Clark both looked good. It's kind of a given that they'd have energy and length but it's nice to see them make shots. More of that from them would be nice. Especially if we're going to continue to miss MCW and if we're going to miss Gordon. They should both be playing for their NBA lives being free agents this summer. 

Guard play continues to be our biggest issue. What has happened to Markelle Fultz? Am I misremembering games in the season or has he got less athletic? He's got almost no burst. Granted it doesn't help that he can't shoot so defenses sag off him but I cant remember seeing him explode to the rim once since the restart. 

We should probably let Augustin walk this summer. We need guards that can shoot and in that sense he'll be a big miss but he's not equipped to play 28 mins+ on a team where he's asked to handle the ball every time up the floor. I actually like his calmness, patience and shot making but he's small, not very athletic and aging. His handle is great but not nearly great enough to break down defenses. A contender will probably snap him up anyway. 

Terrence Ross is a frustrating basketball player. He has all the tools to be a good defensive player and we saw in this game he can make an impact when he tries but then he also has so many lapses on that end. Offensively id like to see him pass more off screens too, he did it a couple of times in this game and it was effective. 

Vuc was fine, not his best game but he wasn't terrible all things considered against a tough matchup. The Raptors worked really hard to stop him getting touches in the paint. If we end up playing them in the playoffs, which isnt a given now, I'd like Cliff and his staff to come up with a couple new actions to try and get Vuc open either in the paint or attacking the basket. 

Aaron Gordon is our best player. Until someone else proves otherwise that's my stance so I stand by what I said after the Indiana game. If you trade him it better be for something mind blowing. 

One thing that stood out to me was that Toronto really do a great job of getting even their worst offensive players touches where they can succeed. OG Anonoby, RHJ, both those guys scored in that game by coming off actions that got them going to the rim against a smaller guy. It feels like we don't put some of our guys in situations like that nearly enough. Which to be fair could be a spacing issue. Because of our bad shooting teams can collapse the paint on us whereas we had to stay home on FVV, Lowry, Davis, Powell, Siakam etc and that allowed those lesser offensive guys to drive 1 on 1 (our 1 on 1 defense in these situations was hit and miss at best - Rondae Hollis Jefferson really should not be getting to the hoop in the half court against you).

Who would want Evan? Magic is stuck with him

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Anfernee1 said:

Who would want Evan? Magic is stuck with him

There is no way a guy averaging 17+ppg on 40% 3 point shooting with a positive assist to turnover ratio who's contract will be expiring doesn't have value. In the off-season or middle of next season. (I'd prefer he go in the off season to give us more time to mesh without him but his value might be maximised in a mid season trade)

He's been bad these last two but let's not act like that means he's worthless. 

37 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

There is no way a guy averaging 17+ppg on 40% 3 point shooting with a positive assist to turnover ratio who's contract will be expiring doesn't have value. In the off-season or middle of next season. (I'd prefer he go in the off season to give us more time to mesh without him but his value might be maximised in a mid season trade)

He's been bad these last two but let's not act like that means he's worthless. 

Guys the Evan thing is completely in his hands.It's a player option. I would love for a decent trade to happen with Evan but as always, that ship has sailed.

Even if he opts in 17 million is still pretty steep for a contender to trade for. At first i thought he would be stupid to turn down 17 million but i feel there are enough teams out there that might offer him something worth leaving for.

Here is the breakdown

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2020/

14 hours ago, Anfernee1 said:

I am glad Nikola was not traded because Bamba seems lazy

At this point if i had to bet real money on Bamba being the starting center for the Magic i wouldn't bet a dime. As i pointed out Myles Turner is to me the closet comparison to Bamba and was showing it in his second season. Turner's second and fourth season were his best because he was healthy. Players don't have to be in the league for years to show what they can do. Sometimes it takes years to build up your body and learn how to play good NBA caliber defense but you should still see something.A guy on another forum and also on a radio  show pointed to his advanced defensive metrics. Wow, in limited minutes against second and third stringers he blocked some shots.

Everyone says put him in play him more but you guys miss two big things. Number one is he doesn't know what he's doing out there, when you play him against starters he gets eaten alive! Number two, most of our sets go through Vucevic. It's not a easy transition when you switch them.Once they resigned Vooch they should have traded him.It's that simple.We screwed up, i think the disconnect is lot's of teams screw up picks and player acquisitions, they just choose to do something about it.

We should have picked a guard in Bamba's draft and last year we should have traded that pick and players for other players with experience. Instead we choose a player who couldn't even suit up for us, classic Magic! Tons of people on this very board wanted Brandon Clarke,Walker or Thybulle!  But the Magic have to take someone who was injured.And you guys want another rookie at 15? Some project who will stay in Europe or develop into a basketball player sometime next decade.? 

I'm tired of rookies, however i fear the worst. If Evan opts out i can see a small tank coming. Not even on purpose,they might start next year trying to win, but pull the plug by the middle of the season. Oh well with Gordon and Isaac out and Fultz looking kind of average, i'm out.

Edited to say that The Lakers looked like ass last night and only shot 13% from 3!!!! I don't know why but it makes me feel better when they suck.They won't win anything this year.