Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Why? 

Isaac 

Bamba

Okeke

Those are their 3 first round picks since they've been here. That's one great pick, one pick that isn't looking great currently but still has plenty of time to pan out. And one pick that you can't possibly judge as we haven't seen him play an NBA game. Hard to understand why you'd consider that "awful". If you wanted to be harsh you could say Bamba is a bust in which case they're 1/2 on 1st round picks. That's far too small a sample size to say "awful". There's a real chance next season Bamba looks improved and Okeke looks good and then they'd be 3/3. 

This team is still by and large a product of rob hennigan. I still believe this FO has done the just bare minimum. 4 of the current starters are still Hennigan guys. The 5th starter is journeyman James Ennis. That says it all. That’s a bit alarming 4 years into a new regime. 

We lucked into that fultz trade because philly gave up on him. We got him for nothing. Thats been their staple thus far. That wasn’t a draft pick. 

So far none of their picks have panned out. I love Isaac, he has a ton of potential, but he hasn’t had a healthy season in the entire time he’s been here. We’ve had to chug through the last 3 seasons with him out.  It’s questionable if his body can even get through an nba season at this point. His pick is easily forgiveable though considering the circumstances. I’m not mad at that one. But considering he’s also going to miss next season entirely, we have to plan our future without him, almost as if we never picked him in the first place. So you can’t say this pick panned out. 

Who knows what Chuma is. Right now he’s another guy with injury concerns predicted to be a role player. I won’t give them credit for this one until we see what we have which may take years. That’s if he even stays healthy.  

Dont even get me started on bamba. Getting him when we resigned Vuc and Birch was unforgivable. He was not needed. Why in the world are we drafting a center with multiple concerns predraft with that pick? We had concerns at the wing for scoring and playmaking. You either get aggressive and trade down for a few generational guys or trade up and go after a guy like SGA if that’s doesn’t work. Two scenarios that didn’t play out. Bamba wasn’t worth the risk staying at 6. 

We also don’t have much to show for second round picks and g leaguers. When you look at capable organizations like toronto and Miami constantly finding shooting and bench guys from there, you have to wonder where the hell our scouting department is. 

• Upvote 3

Eh lets enjoy the game fellas. Something about the injury seemed to put a strange calm over me.

For one, Isaac is young he will be back and he will be good. Now we know they won't trade Gordon and lord knows i love talking trades. I think we can settle in and just start enjoying the team. I think this is it for another year.The only thing i would like to see is for them to trade the draft pick, we don't need another rookie.Lets get these guys some more playoff reps and see what happens next year. I'd love for them to at least reach the potential they have, either which way, i think next season is the last one for this team as currently constructed. So lets watch some B-Ball!

2 hours ago, The Buccaneer said:

They brought in MCW, they brought in Ennis and they brought in Steve Clifford. They got off of Biyombo lol. 

We’re talking about the draft. At this moment we don’t have one draft pick that has panned out. 

There are those who will second-guess whether the Magic brought Isaac back too soon from the hyperextended knee he suffered on Jan. 1, but I certainly don’t believe in being an armchair doctor. It had been SEVEN months since Isaac’s initial injury; an injury that did not require surgery. Seven months seems like more than enough time for a non-surgical injury to heal.

Weltman, as you might expect, tried to be optimistic by saying he expects Isaac to fully recover and come back bigger, faster and stronger than ever. Let’s hope he is right because Isaac is the one Magic player the organization believes has the total package — the talent and work ethic to be a superstar on the court and the class and character to be a pillar in the community.

Off the court, Isaac won the Magic’s community service award last year for all of the charitable work he does in Central Florida and beyond. He and his local church, J.U.M.P Ministries, have been active in feeding underprivileged children weekly during the coronavirus pandemic. He helps raise money and awareness to fight for literacy in Central Florida. He spearheaded a relief effort when Hurricane Dorian ravaged the Bahamas.

On the court, he was beginning to transform into a bona fide star earlier this season. In this season, his third year in the league, Isaac was becoming one of the league’s premier defenders. He was averaging 12 points, 6.9 rebounds, 2.4 blocks and 1.6 steals before he suffered the knee injury in January against the Washington Wizards.

Blowing out his ACL Sunday night in a non-contact drive to the hoop will, of course, renew the concerns that Isaac’s spindly lower body is simply too fragile to hold up during a grueling NBA season. He has missed the majority of two of his three seasons in the league with leg injuries. As the No. 6 overall pick during his rookie season, he played in only 27 games because of a lingering ankle injury. And this year, he’s played in only 33 games because of two different knee injuries that Weltman says are unrelated.

And who knows if he will be able to even play at all next season, which is the last year he is under contract with the Magic. If he were healthy, then obviously the Magic would try to sign Isaac to a lucrative long-term deal next season, but now that strategy is risky at best and foolish at worst. Even though it’s been two decades since the Magic signed injured free agent Grant Hill to a long-term contract that crippled the franchise for years, the harsh lessons of that signing still resonate throughout the club.

When Weltman was asked how Isaac’s injury will affect future contracts and roster construction of the team, he was not ready to discuss it.

“It’s a very good question, but it’s not a question for today,” Weltman said.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-orlando-magic-jonathan-isaac-mike-bianchi-20200803-3z7vi4khjbhaflsq3kfiagcbiq-story.html

1 hour ago, Gordon MVP said:

We’re talking about the draft. At this moment we don’t have one draft pick that has panned out. 

But it's too early to decide a guys career based on 3 or 2 years. Most people probably thought Sacramento hit it out of the park with Tyreke Evans in 2009 after his ROTY season where he put up 20/5/5. 11 years later he wouldn't even be in the top 10 of that draft if you redrafted. 

I think Isaac has proved enough to say that he was the right pick. Weltman and Hammond can't predict that he'll tear his ACL driving into the lane on a non contact play. 

Bamba hasn't looked great yet but he's 22, 2 years into the league. He might be a bust but we surely can't say he will be right now. 

Okeke hasn't even started his rookie deal yet. He might show up next season and be great. You can't say he hasn't panned out because he's actually done exactly what our front office expected thus far. (Not play).

Iwundu is never going to be a high end player but he's a second round pick who'll probably get a second contract and who's played over 3000 mins in his first contract. That's pretty good compared to most second round guys. For comparison, only three second rounders from that draft have played more minutes than him since he was drafted and they're Dillon Brooks, Monte Morris and Damyean Dotson (who only reached that many minutes by playing on a downright dreadful Knicks team).

Considering the expectation of most second round picks should be virtually nothing I'd say Iwundu was a good pick. 

Frazier and Jackson are probably both busts (Jackson definitely) with second round picks but they were both long wings who had at least a semblance of a jumper in college. It's always worth gambling on guys like that because they're super valuable. 

2 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Probably gonna be at least 12 months especially with our overly cautious management. 

He’ll be out the entirety of next season.  Nothing “overly cautious” about it.  

There is a chance he will not be able to return at all but it’s fairly small.  There is a bigger chance that he returns but at a lesser level of performance.  I completely agree with Gordon MVPs take on this.  

Overall, I find it hard to look at this team as currently constructed and find a lot of excitement for the future.  Always possible Bamba or Fultz will turn into something very special but at this point it’s a long shot.  Okeke seems like a solid role player to me if he pans out.  

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

But it's too early to decide a guys career based on 3 or 2 years. Most people probably thought Sacramento hit it out of the park with Tyreke Evans in 2009 after his ROTY season where he put up 20/5/5. 11 years later he wouldn't even be in the top 10 of that draft if you redrafted. 

I think Isaac has proved enough to say that he was the right pick. Weltman and Hammond can't predict that he'll tear his ACL driving into the lane on a non contact play. 

Bamba hasn't looked great yet but he's 22, 2 years into the league. He might be a bust but we surely can't say he will be right now. 

Okeke hasn't even started his rookie deal yet. He might show up next season and be great. You can't say he hasn't panned out because he's actually done exactly what our front office expected thus far. (Not play).

Iwundu is never going to be a high end player but he's a second round pick who'll probably get a second contract and who's played over 3000 mins in his first contract. That's pretty good compared to most second round guys. For comparison, only three second rounders from that draft have played more minutes than him since he was drafted and they're Dillon Brooks, Monte Morris and Damyean Dotson (who only reached that many minutes by playing on a downright dreadful Knicks team).

Considering the expectation of most second round picks should be virtually nothing I'd say Iwundu was a good pick. 

Frazier and Jackson are probably both busts (Jackson definitely) with second round picks but they were both long wings who had at least a semblance of a jumper in college. It's always worth gambling on guys like that because they're super valuable. 

I am simply looking at the effect our draft picks have had one us since we got the new FO.

Again, Isaac, whether the right or wrong pick, has been hurt every year to the point where we have not been able to rely on him for our teams overall success. He's essentially been a non-factor due to health. Chuma is a large unknown, ill give you that. Bamba has had zero impact. 

Would love to know what our thoughts are going forward? esp you @Fultz4thewin? I think this is a good chance to balance out the roster until Isaac returns. I mean this should give the front office a reason to trade Vooch and Evan for picks. Even trade AG if the deal blows us away. Or do they stay the course and slowly add a mid  first rounder each year and remain competitive whilst hoping Okeke, Fultz and Bamba make strides? Personally I would try get what ever we can for Ross, Evan and Vooch. Keep AG, give him Bamba, Okeke, and Fultz the keys next year and try for the Cunningham or top 3 pick  in the 21 draft. Then Isaac comes back with a stud draft pick, Gordon, Bamba, Okeke, Fultz, this years first and 2021 first. Thoughts? now is the time to see if Bamba can sink or swim? he stinks we land a top 3 pick, he shows something we got another piece going forward.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

He’ll be out the entirety of next season.  Nothing “overly cautious” about it.  

There is a chance he will not be able to return at all but it’s fairly small.  There is a bigger chance that he returns but at a lesser level of performance.  I completely agree with Gordon MVPs take on this.  

Overall, I find it hard to look at this team as currently constructed and find a lot of excitement for the future.  Always possible Bamba or Fultz will turn into something very special but at this point it’s a long shot.  Okeke seems like a solid role player to me if he pans out.  

Our management is always overly cautious . So add a few months to whatever the actual timetable is.