Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

16 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I’m not sure it’s smart to resume this season with a weird format and no fans.  Not sure what they hope to gain.  Players will be in start of season form, or maybe worse, and going directly to playoffs after only 8 games.  Games will all be played in the same complex, and with no fans I’m not sure how it’s going to look.  It may not be all that interesting. 

Then there is the issue of timing.   Playing these games will mean a significant delay to the start of the next season, so now two seasons are affected instead of one.  

I think they might be better off just writing off the rest of this season, and trying to have as normal a 20-21 season as possible.  This season will have a huge asterisk next to it even if they do adopt this weird protocol.  

Other thoughts?

It's just money, as always.  Resuming even in a strange capacity seems like it is going to recoup some of the league's lost revenue.  I definitely don't think it is going to be the best product considering the long layoff, short regular season, etc... but the ratings are going to be insane. 

The delay of next season could end up being an interesting test.  Apparently there is a substantial portion of league personnel who think starting the season in December is better than October anyway, mainly to avoid fighting NFL for viewers during the heart of the NFL season.  Who knows what would happen in the future if that's what they do for next season and it goes well?

I am interested to see what type of small crowd is ultimately allowed, particularly for later rounds.  I believe the limited family members in the bubble will be able to attend games.  Will players from eliminated teams have the option to stay to watch the conference finals and the finals?  We've seen NBA players in recent summers (mainly the lockout year) play in high school gyms for the Drew League and others -- the atmosphere in there can be pretty good/intense!  Problem is that the crowd won't be as dense in this case, which may negate any additional intensity. 

7 hours ago, ML6 said:

It's just money, as always.  Resuming even in a strange capacity seems like it is going to recoup some of the league's lost revenue.  I definitely don't think it is going to be the best product considering the long layoff, short regular season, etc... but the ratings are going to be insane. 

It might not be the best product, but I expect it to be HIGHLY entertaining.

5 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

It might not be the best product, but I expect it to be HIGHLY entertaining.

I think it is great to start having live sports (fans or no fans) and love that the NBA is back.  Golf starting this week for us golfers.  As stated it is all about the money (probably TV money in this case).  But I still cannot, for the life of me, understand Pennywise (my new nickname for Silver the clown) and his moves (with respect to the good of the game).  He has messed up the lottery (giving better teams a chance at a higher pick (see Lakers last year)), he has messed up tampering (widespread now), he has messed up tanking ( fined Cuban but watch Washington and Portland tank if they do not win the first few games).  Anybody think he is fining starters for not playing (like Lilliard, who has stated he will sit if he thinks Portland has no chance) when there chance is over.  AND, then, Pennywise comes up with the play-in game?????  Still cannot understand how the Magic or Nets voted for it???  So now a season is not all that important just get within a few games (4) of the playoffs and you deserve a shot??????  What?????  How did they come up with 4, why not 5, 6, 7....20.   Maybe we should have play in games for every position 1-8 if you have 12 players that have a pulse.    And finally that statement above on recreational drugs takes the cake.  List is below and I would suggest, if taken properly, performance enhancing drugs may be less harmful.  Oh, and some of those recreational drugs are performance enhancing. (amphetamine, for sure)   For the record I am a high school Chemistry/Biology teacher and a pharmacist.  But, as we can see, money overrides common sense.  Pennywise is in it for the cash, just not so sure the good of the game is even on his radar.

The 9 most used recreational drugs that lead to hospital visits are:
  • Alcohol.
  • Mdma.
  • Amphetamine.
  • Cocaine.
  • LSD.
  • Cannabis.
  • Mushrooms.
  • Methamphetamine

15 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Cannabis, hospital visit? Hahahahahhahahahjahahhjahahahjahjahjajajjajajjajjajajjajajjajahaahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahajhahahajajjjajjj

Facts:

Most Dangerous Drugs: Visits to the ER Based on Drug Use
  • Cocaine: Responsible for 505,224 Visits. ...
  • Benzodiazepines: Responsible for 501,207 Visits. ...
  • Marijuana: Responsible for 455,668 Visits. ...
  • Prescription Painkillers: Responsible for 420,040 Visits

Cannabis is a drug (all drugs, especially hallucinogens have side effects on the brain and your anatomy) and is just starting to be studied and evaluated due to it's increased use.  Note more ER visits than opiates.  It will produce lots of tax revenue but will also increase health care costs as evidenced by above.  Really good recent book on cannabis and violence is "Tell Your children" by Alex Berenson.  Even as a pharmacist we all have much to learn.

But this was not meant to be a social commentary.  It was about the NBA and  Pennywise (aka--Silver the clown) and his lack of leadership.  So now we have Kryie leading the Brooklyn Tea Party (sure wish he was in Boston so we could call it the 2020 Boston Tea Party)  "No participation without representation".  Hard to believe the players did not get a vote on this matter to take ownership in  it.  Another Pennywise blunder.  Good news is if the season goes on and our players really play (Aminu only Magic player on that call that I saw) we have a really good chance at 7th place (I have to think Brooklyn's psyche will be shot) and playing Toronto.  Will be really interesting to see what the final rosters look like.

On 6/10/2020 at 7:58 AM, ML6 said:

I wonder about the ratings part.   If playing in small arenas with no fans doesn't resemble an NBA experience, people may not tune in, or may tune out quickly after taking a look.  And that experience could leave a lasting impression that might carry over to the following season.  I think there's some risk of this backfiring.

Of course, it's beginning to look like the whole thing is still up in the air. 

This triggers me. I understand that sports are a business, but LOYALTY can and should be part of it, when called for.

The fact that Jameer was bouncing from team to team while we had disgusting 2nd and 3rd string Point Guards is truly shameful

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

This triggers me. I understand that sports are a business, but LOYALTY can and should be part of it, when called for.

The fact that Jameer was bouncing from team to team while we had disgusting 2nd and 3rd string Point Guards is truly shameful

Hard agree. In 2014-15 we had 2 real point guards on the roster. Luke Ridnour for half a season and Elfrid Payton. Jameer Nelson made 2.7 million and we gave Ben Gordon a 1 year 4.5 mil deal. That is just ridiculous. Id love Clifford to bring Jameer onto the coaching staff. I'm sure our young guys could learn a lot from Jameer. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Well said! We had plenty of opportunities to bring him back, but we chased fools gold following Hennie!

• Like 1

Rim protection may be something the Magic search for in the offseason, Josh Robbins and Seth Partnow write in a piece for The Athletic. Partnow, who previously served as the director of basketball research for the Bucks, believes Mohamed Bamba has the potential to be the defensive centerpiece for Orlando, but the former top-10 pick simply hasn’t put it all together through the first two years in the league. Having said that, Partnow would ultimately give Bamba more time in the hope that he can reach his potential.

Partnow also breaks down the definition of “rim protection,” lamenting that we all have the same broad definition: a player near the rim protects it. Yet, when diving into the stats, there are many assumptions and decisions evaluators have to make. Partnow explained that when he was in Milwaukee, he couldn’t find a metric that truly encapsulated rim protection even though there are stats that can help to narrow down the field of who’s good and who’s bad at it.

The whole article is really a fascinating look into how some front offices evaluate and it’s worth a read. Here’s more from that piece as well as notes from Orlando:

• Khem Birch‘s natural position may be center, but the Magic have utilized him differently during the 2019/20 campaign, Robbins explains in that same piece for The Athletic. Birch split time between power forward and center, as injuries to Nikola Vucevic and Jonathan Isaac forced the team to play him at both spots. Coach Steve Clifford realized that Birch is not well equipped to play the four and that’s something to consider when looking ahead to Orlando’s offseason and the potential logjam at the center position between Vucevic, Birch and Bamba.
  • The Magic are focusing on conditioning as they await the restart of the season, Roy Parry of the Orlando Sentinel writes. Orlando is one of 22 teams invited to the resumption of the 2019/20 season at Disney World.
  • Clifford believes his team could have an advantage when play resumes. “Hopefully we can get ready quicker, be one of the teams that has a great readiness to start after whatever period of time they give us to practice and play well and make some noise, and again, play meaningful games, which is what we all want to do,” Clifford said (via Parry’s piece).

We are 4th in blocks and 5th in defense.

We are 24th in 3's made, 25th in 3 point %, and 27th in offense.

I interpret our needs a little differently than Robbins and Partnow.

24 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

We are 4th in blocks and 5th in defense.

We are 24th in 3's made, 25th in 3 point %, and 27th in offense.

I interpret our needs a little differently than Robbins and Partnow.

I have always be happy with our defense for the most part but it’s our offense that usually loses us these games. We don’t have a consistent 3 point shooter or go to scorer and that’s why we find ourselves fighting for the last seed in the playoffs instead of contending for a title. If we had just one go to scorer who can put the ball in the basket consistently, I’d be confident our defense would carry us deep into the playoffs. Good find though and I enjoyed the read thanks for sharing!