Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

It is certainly eerie going to work these days. As a result of the cancellation of elective procedures, our surgical stepdown units are at ~50% capacity. The 24-bed SICU currently has 8 patients in it -- an all-time low during my seven years here. The goal is to keep these numbers about where they're at (or get them even lower) so that we have a maximal number of beds available if/when we get a surge of COVID. Depending on how bad it gets, likely will need to "create" new ICUs in conference rooms and such, although ventilator access will still be an issue.

Also got an email today that injectable hydromorphone/fentanyl are on shortage again. And that's before the COVID wave hits.

57 minutes ago, HighAngleDad said:

Here is a crucial coronavirus update:  Fox Sports will rebroadcast a Magic game tonight at 8 PM.  According to my sources, this will be the November 15th,  2019 game against the Spurs.  We now return to the arguments currently in progress... after 10 minutes of commercials...

Disagreements and arguments on this board are nothing new! The only difference is that the virus is much more serious than basketball - the outcome of these attempts to curtail and hopefully eliminate this sickness is a life or death deal! Opinions are fine but need to give way to facts if WE are to overcome this as a nation! 

16 minutes ago, ML6 said:

It is certainly eerie going to work these days. As a result of the cancellation of elective procedures, our surgical stepdown units are at ~50% capacity. The 24-bed SICU currently has 8 patients in it -- an all-time low during my seven years here. The goal is to keep these numbers about where they're at (or get them even lower) so that we have a maximal number of beds available if/when we get a surge of COVID. Depending on how bad it gets, likely will need to "create" new ICUs in conference rooms and such, although ventilator access will still be an issue.

Also got an email today that injectable hydromorphone/fentanyl are on shortage again. And that's before the COVID wave hits.

My hospital is already overflowed and we had to create new ICU beds. 

I am in Marion County and so far we have had only four total cases.  We do have a LOT of retirees here so this could get worse.  For my family we have gone isolation and will try to have all of our supplies delivered for the next couple of weeks.  Most of us are at risk, and those who have been doing the shopping put the others at risk.

My daughters and four of my grand kids are in Ormond Beach and there has been some exposure to people who tested positive so they are a bit nervous now.  I will be glad when this is over with and we start working on getting back to norbal.

Hubris ~ Excessive pride.  

Before this became big, this was our major flaw.  People constantly angry publicly when people were taking it seriously.  Our president dismissing the entire situation in China like its nothing.  Me, I went to grocery store the day of the NBA shutting down.  People were still mad that others were taking it seriously in the actual store clamoring about it. History tends to repeats itself with slight variations.  We, as Americans, need to be reminded that our ship can sink too.  Coronavirus is here to humble us.  

Now three weeks later, i take another trip to get more groceries at 7:00 to avoid people crowds.  Everyone has somber looks on their faces.  Barely any interaction between themselves.  More masks and people just all-around avoiding each other in any way they can.  The tech section of course completely void but it was 7 past.  I don't think I will get the COV since I've always been clean anyway.  If I do, i'd probably laugh.  Since symptoms are of course more based on your respiratory system, I pay close attention to how I feel.  I feel *****ing great. 

I haven't been out since before the NBA shut down.  Probably three times since then.  

On 3/23/2020 at 2:46 PM, Gordon MVP said:

The main difference is S. Korea has tested right away and running through thousands of tests daily; Nearly 20,000 people are being tested every day. We aren't. We still aren't. We're way behind. This is the missing piece right now. 

I ask again, considering all the information you now have with regards to mortality and the critically ill, including those under the age of 50 and also taking into consideration the lack of tests we have, what would you do?

Risk stratify.  Keep elderly and those with severe chronic medical conditions sequestered.  Let others return to work with the same social distancing that’s already been put in place.  Start widespread testing using point of service serology kits as soon as possible.  Isolate the sick and contacts.  But don’t kill the economy.  

On 3/23/2020 at 7:34 PM, Gordon MVP said:

My hospital is already overflowed and we had to create new ICU beds. 

Ours are as empty as ML6’s