Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

2 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

The 40% is what you get if you just go by what he's done in 2020. But iwundu is such low volume that I'm not sure it's actually real. What that's basically saying is iwundu is a good three point shooter because in 22 games he hit 19 out of 44 threes. But he'd be below average if he hit 15 out of 44 threes. 

Last year he hit 29 of 79 threes to get to 36.7% but he'd be below average if he hit 27 of 79 threes. 

I'm not super high on Ennis and Clark is playing because he weighs 20 pounds more than iwundu and can handle bigger bodies. But you can't argue with our offensive production since Ennis has entered the lineup and iwundu was benched. 

Fair enough but he didn’t hit 15 of 44 he has hit 19 of 44 which is his actual production. We can’t talk about what if’s when the guy actually made those shots. Now I can understand there isn’t enough sample size and that’s why maybe his numbers are they way they are but averages are averages at the end of the day and the numbers speak for themselves. I’m just tired of this teams poor shooting and feel other guys need to be given the minutes. I’m all for trying out Frazier and seeing what he’s got but I’m not ok with keeping these same rotations and getting the same terrible results. 

4 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

How many two way players do you think we have right now?

Gordon

Fultz

???

Nah I think they go after defensive players that can do other things, hoping scoring will come around.

2 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Fair enough but he didn’t hit 15 of 44 he has hit 19 of 44 which is his actual production. We can’t talk about what if’s when the guy actually made those shots. Now I can understand there isn’t enough sample size and that’s why maybe his numbers are they way they are but averages are averages at the end of the day and the numbers speak for themselves. I’m just tired of this teams poor shooting and feel other guys need to be given the minutes. I’m all for trying out Frazier and seeing what he’s got but I’m not ok with keeping these same rotations and getting the same terrible results. 

Yeah but it's more than that. 

I don't know if this is true because I don't have the ability to actually measure this but the team is operating on a premise that Ennis draws the defense in more than iwundu. So the reason why Vucevic, Fournier, Gordon, and Ross are all averaging 20ppg over the past 8 games has to do with that spacing Ennis provides whereas teams didn't close out very hard on iwundu because even if they left him wide open he'd only hit 1 or 2 threes. 

Now I'd argue that if this was our philosophy going into the trade deadline "get an actual 'shooter' who can play some defense to open up the starting lineup" I'm not sure that Ennis was the best candidate. And I'm not sure why we wouldn't have just started Ross if that was all we were missing. 

But that's what the team is thinking. 

1 hour ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Yeah but it's more than that. 

I don't know if this is true because I don't have the ability to actually measure this but the team is operating on a premise that Ennis draws the defense in more than iwundu. So the reason why Vucevic, Fournier, Gordon, and Ross are all averaging 20ppg over the past 8 games has to do with that spacing Ennis provides whereas teams didn't close out very hard on iwundu because even if they left him wide open he'd only hit 1 or 2 threes. 

Now I'd argue that if this was our philosophy going into the trade deadline "get an actual 'shooter' who can play some defense to open up the starting lineup" I'm not sure that Ennis was the best candidate. And I'm not sure why we wouldn't have just started Ross if that was all we were missing. 

But that's what the team is thinking. 

I can give you that. Players do tend to close out on Ennis a little faster therefore opening up better looks for other players. That’s only gonna last so long though if he keeps missing wide open 3’s and fumbling the ball out of bounds on his drives. I get the concept/philosophy but it’s one thing to philosophy and it’s another to actually apply it and have it work during actual gameplay. Nothing that Ennis has done has convinced me he’s nothing but an end of bench veteran presence taking meaningful minutes from our young guys to develop. I’m all for Ross getting in the starting line up and seeing if the extra attention he receives frees up some of our other guys for easier shots. 

A few thoughts:

1. The team as currently constructed is not playoff competitive. I personally believe we need to go small ball with our bigs (Isaac and Gordon) and really upgrade our guard positions. Right now we have bigs that can shoot but not switch (Vooch and Bamba), and we have guards that can switch but not shoot (Fultz and MCW). Moreover, we still are missing a go-to scorer who can create his own shot.

2. Is Fultz our starting point guard of the future? Until he can shoot the long ball, he is not, imho. I love Fultz’s potential and drive, but he’s got to be able to shoot. I don’t buy that he needs to wait until this summer to figure it out. He’s either deferring too much, physically limited, or afraid to miss. I hope he figures it out.

3. Going back to point one, I really hope for changes this summer. The problem is the Magic seem to value loyalty over competency, so we’ll see. Continuing to roll with players like Fournier, Augustin, MCW, Aminu, and Vooch as the vet core isn’t going to lead to sustained winning.

57 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

A few thoughts:

Mostly agree with you, and the other comment in the game thread about us playing antiquate. Not only playing btw...

I know there's no proof, but I strongly believe that if we would have chosen the other path in the summer (don't sign the veteran players, add some under radad player in the right spots, give the keys to the youth core) we would have a really similar record and the chances of a playoff berth still open, whit the big difference that all of them would be ahead of the curve right now and for a brighter future.

23 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I think we're probably more interested in two way players. Beasley can shoot but we've seen with fournier what shooting without acceptable defense can do.

People love Russell and people love Beasley but there's a reason Minnesota is 2-8 since the trades and giving up 127 ppg in that timeframe. 

Two way players that have struggled to stop anybody recently?  Teams continue to kill us with the Pick n Roll and set records for points and 3's against us.  Would you rather have scorers that can't play defense or 2way players that struggle defensively? 

16 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

In what world is 7.5ppg as a starter Wes iwundu a two way player?

Probably the same world that labels Fultz or Isaac as a 2way player at this point in their career.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

A few thoughts:

1. The team as currently constructed is not playoff competitive. I personally believe we need to go small ball with our bigs (Isaac and Gordon) and really upgrade our guard positions. Right now we have bigs that can shoot but not switch (Vooch and Bamba), and we have guards that can switch but not shoot (Fultz and MCW). Moreover, we still are missing a go-to scorer who can create his own shot.

2. Is Fultz our starting point guard of the future? Until he can shoot the long ball, he is not, imho. I love Fultz’s potential and drive, but he’s got to be able to shoot. I don’t buy that he needs to wait until this summer to figure it out. He’s either deferring too much, physically limited, or afraid to miss. I hope he figures it out.

3. Going back to point one, I really hope for changes this summer. The problem is the Magic seem to value loyalty over competency, so we’ll see. Continuing to roll with players like Fournier, Augustin, MCW, Aminu, and Vooch as the vet core isn’t going to lead to sustained winning.

I wouldn't consider Mo or Vuch as bigs who can shoot. They're both average at best. 

15 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I wouldn't consider Mo or Vuch as bigs who can shoot. They're both average at best. 

I don't know. There are only 10 centers in the league that have made more threes than Bamba and shoot a higher percentage. That's out of 65 centers that have played real minutes this year. 

31 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

Probably the same world that labels Fultz or Isaac as a 2way player at this point in their career.

Both fultz and Isaac are two way players.