Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

On 2/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, Fultz4thewin said:

"4" is a pointless term. You have to stop looking at guys like pegs that can only fit one hole. 

We spend most of our time lately getting Gordon switched onto smaller defenders so he can use his size and strength to get them to the rim. That doesn't change with Isaac in the lineup. 

What does is our spacing. The success of Gordon and Isaac as a pair is dependent on both guys being league average shooters at worst. That's why it looked great the end of last year when both guys were hitting threes and it looked bad at times this year when both guys weren't. 

This version of Gordon hitting 40% of his threes is literally the ideal match for Isaac because Gordon is built to handle the heavier stronger opponents where Isaac isn't. And Isaac covers a bunch of Gordon's weaknesses. And it sets up a situation where if Gordon is defended by 3s he can take guys to the rim but if they decide to put their 3 on Isaac he can get to his spots and shoot over them as a 6'6, 6'7 guy typically can't contest his release. 

Neither guy is "better at the 4". Both are just mismatch hunters who need spacing to make that happen. 

Thanks for clarifying that. I think what gets confusing for inexperienced fans like me is when I listen to AG on a pod squad podcast, and he says things like he is really trying to embrace being a power forward. I grew up watching guys like Karl Malone and Horace Grant, and when I think of power forward, I can't seem to get those playing styles out of my head.  I am starting to see the forward spots as more interchangeable, but it's been a slow process because, as a ball watcher, I don't know what to look for. :-)

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

If someone would have told me immediately after the Dwight trade in 2012 that Vooch would ultimately be signed here through 2023, I would have probably cried tears of joy under the assumption that he somehow became Dirk.  Instead we've never been better than 22nd in offense and I have dedicated approx 1/3 of my Magic fanhood to the Vooch era.  Sad times.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Ennis?

Ennis can play defense and is effectively our backup 4 in small lineups.

Daniels is a lot like Meeks because he's 6'4 and can't defend. So he'd have to take mcw or DJ's spot in the rotation and DJ has a better production ceiling and MCW sometimes looks like one of our best players. 

So we don't really have a spot for Daniels. If we wanted to dump Frazier for him I'd be cool with it but I also understand continuing to try and develop a guy vs dumping him for a guy who probably won't even be on the active playoff roster if Isaac comes back

8 hours ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

Thanks for clarifying that. I think what gets confusing for inexperienced fans like me is when I listen to AG on a pod squad podcast, and he says things like he is really trying to embrace being a power forward. I grew up watching guys like Karl Malone and Horace Grant, and when I think of power forward, I can't seem to get those playing styles out of my head.  I am starting to see the forward spots as more interchangeable, but it's been a slow process because, as a ball watcher, I don't know what to look for. :-)

They’re interchangeable if at least one of players can shoot otherwise it’s a problem. Our spacing is not very good because we are a poor shooting team and this allows teams to pack the paint and then Vooch whom is one of the best players in the post is deemed ineffective.