Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

9 minutes ago, rekraprovert said:

Well, yeah, he was participating. You missed my point.

No. I mean I got it. Nobody is mad about someone getting cheated out of a thing that doesn't really matter and this is going to bring more attention to his effort than it probably would have otherwise. 

It just sucks that someone put in a lot of effort into something and then had that accomplishment taken away from them by a cheat. 

When I was 7 or 8 years old I was playing in a youth basketball game. We scored to go up 1 with something like 2.7 seconds left. The parent of an opponent was reffing the game and he had them change the time remaining to 15 seconds. We ended up losing. It still bothers me. I wouldn't remember the game if we won. We all have these lessons in our lives where you can put in effort and do the right thing and be a good person and be good at something and have nepotism or corruption or favoritism take priority over you. It just sucks that had to enter a dunk contest. 

So I'm not mad about Aaron not getting formal recognition as a dunk contest champion. I'm mad for Aaron that he was cheated out of something that he put a lot of effort into. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'm with you on that, of course that sucks. Like I said, hate seeing one of our guys get cheated. But in the overall scope of things, it's not like his effort was cheapened or wasted because of a blatant scam. Everyone saw this for what it was, just like they did in 16. His legacy has already been cemented as the best dunker of his generation- I think he'll value that more than an extra trophy on the wall.

The real shame in this is that we'll never get to see him in a dunk contest again- along with missing out on other top dunkers in future contests who aren't going to be interested in getting cheated in the same way.

I think the general consensus is that AG got robbed and he will get a ton of mileage out of this while exposing the political inequalities of the few that robbed it from him. In the end he will be the one that is remembered. Somethings in life you can win by losing.....

3 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I think the general consensus is that AG got robbed and he will get a ton of mileage out of this while exposing the political inequalities of the few that robbed it from him. In the end he will be the one that is remembered. Somethings in life you can win by losing.....

True, more than a few guys can say they won the dunk contest, including TRoss - but only one guy can say he got cheated out of it twice!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

Do you think Coach Cliff will tweak anything during our long break or let things ride for the rest of the season? Or, maybe I should ask, is there anything you would like Coach Cliff to tweak, and if so, what?

Yes. MCW as full time back up. Aaron Gordon starting at the 4. Ross starting over Fournier or in tandem. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rekraprovert said:

Sorry to bring it up again after the thread has moved on, but I wanted to share my thought on the dunk contest. Obviously, AG got robbed for the second time, no question about it. But does anyone really, REALLY care who wins that contest? Is that what really matters? Because I think most people remember specific magical dunks much more than they remember who took the trophy home. AG's dunks in 16 and this year will be remembered for a long, long time. They will be watched on YouTube 800 million times and shared on social media forever. I don't think anyone really looks back and cares who actually won. The best dunks get remembered, not the winner.

So, yeah, it sucks seeing our guy get screwed, especially when he clearly invested so much energy and passion into it. But I don't think it was a wasted effort by any means. His dunks will be remembered, DJJ and Lavine's will be lost in the sands of time.

This is a fair point. He’s basically “the People’s champ” now. But it doesn’t change the fact that he deserves the recognition officially and that the league completely dropped the ball on this. Being a two time NBA dunk champion is an incredible athletic accomplishment and they took that away from him

You don't really ever fully outgrow childhood dreams/experiences.  Aaron has probably been dreaming of winning the NBA dunk contest for a long time.  To have that stolen twice (the most recent one in blatant fashion) definitely must hurt.  I mean when I'm shooting around by myself, sometimes I'll still re-enact or envision certain meaningful shots I missed in high school games.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

You don't really ever fully outgrow childhood dreams/experiences.  Aaron has probably been dreaming of winning the NBA dunk contest for a long time.  To have that stolen twice (the most recent one in blatant fashion) definitely must hurt.  I mean when I'm shooting around by myself, sometimes I'll still re-enact or envision certain meaningful shots I missed in high school games.

This probably jaded him some. Hopefully he can focus on being an all star. 

5 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

No. I mean I got it. Nobody is mad about someone getting cheated out of a thing that doesn't really matter and this is going to bring more attention to his effort than it probably would have otherwise. 

It just sucks that someone put in a lot of effort into something and then had that accompli, shment taken away from them by a cheat. 

When I was 7 or 8 years old I was playing in a youth basketball game. We scored to go up 1 with something like 2.7 seconds left. The parent of an opponent was reffing the game and he had them change the time remaining to 15 seconds. We ended up losing. It still bothers me. I wouldn't remember the game if we won. We all have these lessons in our lives where you can put in effort and do the right thing and be a good person and be good at something and have nepotism or corruption or favoritism take priority over you. It just sucks that had to enter a dunk contest. 

So I'm not mad about Aaron not getting formal recognition as a dunk contest champion. I'm mad for Aaron that he was cheated out of something that he put a lot of effort into. 

And what gets to me is that Aaron had asked Shaq first to be his prop, but Shaq told him to use Tacko instead. Shaq is 7'1" and Tacko is 7'5".

The look on Aaron's face tells me he had not practiced the dunk at anytime with Tacko, and he was not sure he could pull it off. People were going, "Oh no, he's not going to try that!"

Before the competition,  I wondered what Aaron would do different from his first contest. I was hoping he wouldn't use that drone again.

Yeah, I'm still mad and I'm pretty sure a lot of people are still talking about it.

Yeah Shaq probably didn’t want to help AG because of his buddy DWade (the fixer); very disappointed in Shaq; he’s has not been a true ally since he called Orlando a dried up pond. He should have offered support to his former team. You can have money and fame, but class is non discriminative. 

9 hours ago, rekraprovert said:

Sorry to bring it up again after the thread has moved on, but I wanted to share my thought on the dunk contest. Obviously, AG got robbed for the second time, no question about it. But does anyone really, REALLY care who wins that contest? Is that what really matters? Because I think most people remember specific magical dunks much more than they remember who took the trophy home. AG's dunks in 16 and this year will be remembered for a long, long time. They will be watched on YouTube 800 million times and shared on social media forever. I don't think anyone really looks back and cares who actually won. The best dunks get remembered, not the winner.

So, yeah, it sucks seeing our guy get screwed, especially when he clearly invested so much energy and passion into it. But I don't think it was a wasted effort by any means. His dunks will be remembered, DJJ and Lavine's will be lost in the sands of time.

I know I cared. He BLATANTLY got cheated ... It's actually beyond comprehension. How the NBA allowed it to happen is disgusting

• Upvote 1