Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

On 2/16/2020 at 6:20 PM, Soul Bro said:

I really hope AG makes that jump now. Not sure you can have more motivation.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:34 PM, jec said:

I see the trend of terrible nation anthems is continuing 

good god

who grandma is this lmao

Shut your mouth and show some respect that is an R&B legend.  But she is old now and cannot sing the national anthem which by the way is an incredibly hard song to sing!

On 2/16/2020 at 8:34 PM, jec said:

I see the trend of terrible nation anthems is continuing 

good god

who grandma is this lmao

Jec, the singer's name is Chaka Khan. As TheImmortalPatBurke! mentioned, she is a R&B legend from the era of Diana Ross, Tina Turner, Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, Aretha Franklin, etc. who are also R&B legends. Whitney Houston is also, but a bit younger.

It's not that she can't hold a tune because of her age. Whitney Houston was the first to sing the national anthem in the non-traditional way, and other female singers, black and white, have followed her. A short  while ago I was watching the start of a sporting event where  a white female singer sang the national anthem in a non-traditional way.

I'm old school, and although I like Chaka Khan's old songs, I think she went a little too far with the national anthem. 

I like other genres of music, mostly R&B. But I also love myself the music of country singer, Willie Nelson, and you know that he is old.

Edit:  Oh yeah, I also like the music of country singer Charlie Rich (nicknamed the Silver Fox), another old singer.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Whitney Houston was the first to sing the national anthem in the non-traditional way, and other female singers, black and white, have followed her. A short  while ago I was watching the start of a sporting event where  a white female singer sang the national anthem in a non-traditional way.

Not trying to step on anybody's toe, but I wanted to set the record straight ... maybe Whitney was the first female to do it, but the vey first to do it was Jose Feliciano --who later sang the theme song for the TV show Chico and the Man, and had hit songs Light My Fire and Feliz Navidad-- and he did it during the 1968 World Series between the Detroit Tigers and the St Louis Cardinals ... his performance was rather unconventional and some called it polarizing ...

7 hours ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

Shut your mouth and show some respect that is an R&B legend.  But she is old now and cannot sing the national anthem which by the way is an incredibly hard song to sing!

It’s a really easy song to sing actually. So you probably are tone deaf.  I’ll do a better one for you with pneumonia.

How dare you tell me to shut my mouth cuz you’re butthurt over some F tier entertainer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Chaka khan was able to sing long ago.  I will admit, she did terrible on the anthem but she's way past her prime.  

Her most famous song, through the wire was actually kick started kanye west's career.  Kanye west reprised the song through hip hop with his first single, through the wire.  

8 hours ago, jec said:

It’s a really easy song to sing actually. So you probably are tone deaf.  I’ll do a better one for you with pneumonia.

How dare you tell me to shut my mouth cuz you’re butthurt over some F tier entertainer.

Actually, it is a fairly difficult song to sing well. It requires a fairly wide range; so managing it in a full chest voice is very difficult, and maneuvering the "break" from chest to head voice while interpreting the dynamics of the song is difficult. There is a big difference between singing it in a large group of people, and managing it as a solo. I did not personally hear Chaka Khan's attempt, but it is a shame that she wasn't sufficiently self-aware to know that it is now beyond her capability. Most singers lose some of that upper register as they age, as the vocal chords require constant care and maintenance. Frequently they gain additional notes in the bottom registers, but a shortening of the "width" of range is also common, which is why older singers don't usually sing the hits from their youth in the same key, or with the same vocal dynamics. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Actually, it is a fairly difficult song to sing well. It requires a fairly wide range; so managing it in a full chest voice is very difficult, and maneuvering the "break" from chest to head voice while interpreting the dynamics of the song is difficult. There is a big difference between singing it in a large group of people, and managing it as a solo. I did not personally hear Chaka Khan's attempt, but it is a shame that she wasn't sufficiently self-aware to know that it is now beyond her capability. Most singers lose some of that upper register as they age, as the vocal chords require constant care and maintenance. Frequently they gain additional notes in the bottom registers, but a shortening of the "width" of range is also common, which is why older singers don't usually sing the hits from their youth in the same key, or with the same vocal dynamics. 

If that’s a wide range I’m better at singing than I thought. But she tried to do too much with it and it was awful.

So antsy for ball. We have a good chance of having a really strong finish to the season with the weaker schedule. Can we parlay that into a 7th seed or is that not happening? Don’t know how good Brooklyn is.

4 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Yeah... NBA needs to come back ASAP. 

It would be dead around here if we don't have something to talk smack about. I love it. It's called entertainment as Wade said about the slam dunk competition. Remember, he said the results were not something to get worked up about because the event was not a real competition. It's entertainment.  :)

Three more days before the Magic returns to action. Can you believe it?

8 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Some of you may be too young to remember when Rosanne Barr screwed it up big time at a baseball game. . .hahaha, wooo!!! :)

And she's not a singer.