Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

10 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I don’t think I’ll be watching it again, this is as bad as our political system. 

Ja Morant said he wouldn't even participate in it after Aaron got screwed

2 hours ago, Big L said:

Them agreeing on what scores to give bothers me more than just giving bad scores.  They admitted to cooking the books, to conspiring on the outcome.  NBA has to figure something out here, this can't be repeated.  That means the outcome was orchestrated, but the question is were they conspiring on all rounds or just on the final round? It definitely feels as if wade talked them into it knowing he was going to be the deciding vote.

I’m not even mad about the outcome, because Derrick Jones Jr was great, but the way this thing is judged is a complete clown show.

From the scoring system, to the way the judges can talk to each other and make pacts.

The players take the weekend seriously, and they should be treated with respect 

There seems to be universal agreement amongst fans and NBA players (other than Miami people) that Aaron won.  Again.  The first thing anyone mentions about 2016 is how Aaron was robbed, and this one will be the same way to an even more significant degree.

So who knows, maybe this just makes him a more legendary figure in the history of the contest. He once again had the best dunk of the night. 2016 is remembered for the sitting dunk and this one will be remembered for the 360. 

We should make a HuGE, out of this world, fan made dunk contest winner trophy and present it  to AG. Lets get some funds and get  this going!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

We should make a HuGE, out of this world, fan made dunk contest winner trophy and present it  to AG. Lets get some funds and get  this going!

Agree. The Magic organization should do something. They have the funds.

3 hours ago, Magicpassion said:

I don’t think I’ll be watching it again, this is as bad as our political system. 

Yea, if this is what the dunk contest is gonna be, I can't watch this garbage.

MUST READ

I told you all in an earlier post that the judges were probably trying to adjust their scores for AG's last dunk to even out the scores between AG and Jones, Jr., but they blew. it.

NBA Dunk Contest 2020:  Judges reportedly planned for final round to end in a tie, but one went off script

There is some controversy in the ending of the 2020 Slam Dunk Contest

by Sam Quinn

Aaron Gordon just had perhaps the greatest Slam Dunk Contest ever to not result in a victory. The Orlando Magic forward scored a perfect 50 on his first five dunks in an event that is normally designed for only four. But ties with Derrick Jones Jr. of the Miami Heat forced the event to go on longer than scheduled. Gordon ultimately lost after his sixth and final dunk, but apparently that was not what the judges wanted. 

According to Ramona Shelburne and Malika Andrews of ESPN, the judges had initially planned for the final round to end in a tie. One judge, however, went rogue in the scoring process and gave the victory to Jones. This was stated by multiple judges at the Slam Dunk Contest. 

"We thought it was going to be tied. We were like, 'This is a tie!'" Common, a musician and one of the judges, told Shelburne. "But somebody didn't do it right. I don't know who it is." 

Another judge, Los Angeles Sparks star Candace Parker, confirmed that this was indeed the plan, instructing Shelburne to "check the scorecard."

So who was the culprit? It's unclear for the moment. Common and Parker both gave Gordon a score of 10 on his final dunk, and their comments to Shelburne make it hard to believe that either of them was responsible. That leaves Dwyane Wade, Chadwick Boseman and Scottie Pippen as the possible responsible parties. 

Wade appears to be the obvious candidate on paper. He and Jones played together for the Heat last season, so his motive in handing the trophy to Jones appears clear. 

So what would have happened if the tie had gone on as planned? The AP's Tim Reynolds reported that the NBA would have eventually shut the contest down and forced the judges to vote on a winner. Who they would have picked in that setting is unknowable at this point, but such a solution clearly would have made more sense than allowing one judge to swing the outcome as appears to have been the case in reality. 

Gordon was clearly displeased with the outcome. He told ESPN's Rachel Nichols that he believes that he should have two Slam Dunk Contest trophies (the other from a loss to Zach LaVine in 2016), and that he does not plan to participate in the event again. Whether he should have won or not is a matter of opinion, but the process that led to his loss clearly wasn't what the majority of the judges intended. 

Link:   https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-dunk-contest-2020-judges-reportedly-planned-for-final-round-to-end-in-a-tie-but-one-went-off-script/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Ja Morant said he wouldn't even participate in it after Aaron got screwed

Honestly, I hope other players follow suit. I hope Zion, Gordon, everyone boycotts it from here on out.

2 hours ago, IrishCelticHater said:

I didn’t think they’d fix it for someone like DJJ. My money was on Howard to fit their’ redemption narrative. Was kinda shocked. 

It's less about DJJ and more about the franchises. Miami is a darling franchise of the league, and Orlando isn't. There's no way in hell the NBA can let Orlando shine, even for a night.

You saw how angry the NBA media was when Orlando beat LeBron's Cavs in 09 to ruin the dream Kobe / LeBron matchup. The NBA and the media want no part in Orlando getting over. 

Make sure the darling franchise gets the rub, while the bastard step child franchise stays locked in the basement.

It's literally exactly what happened with Lavine too. A darling boy of the NBA was always going to win over someone from Orlando. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

Would be a great ass story if AG came back to The O and balled out. Like ***** MIA.

I hope AG comes back after the all-star break and plays with avengeance.

3 hours ago, IrishCelticHater said:

But it’s no competition, it’s entertainment and Wade is just happy it delivered on that front. *rolls eyes* 

Hahaha! I like it. :)

Remember how dirty he and LeBron played when they played together with the goal of winning the game? I guess that was no big deal, huh?  Just entertainment.