Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Firing Clifford would be unfair, and I really like him and I share the thought that he's a good coach to get from point A to point B, while adding good defensive principles.

At the same time, I see him and the management as the same face fo the medal that is causing us troubles. Outadated roster with a outdated coach playing a outdated style. It's not his fault, he's making his job and we had a pretty good sample size of who he is as a coach (see Charlotte experience), that's the profile management as hired and that's what we have now.

• Like 1

Man look, it doesn’t matter who’s the coach. This is a poorly constructed roster. You got players in the lineup that their games conflict each other. No big offensive talent. Players who think they’re one thing and really not. 2nd and 3rd options..:The hell is Cliff is suppose to do? Last year and a half dude has been screaming how inept the roster is and the FO wants to be “patient” and “evaluate”. This is all on the FO. Them being so damn experienced should’ve had the evaluation figured out in their first off season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Babir_9 said:

We need a modern bright young coach to succeed, not a stubborn old school assistant coach. Clifford is limiting his players, playing them out of position, we lost a few games when he was afraid to give extra 3-4 minutes to starters or key reserves. He has automatic rotations and no changes during the game. He is a great assistant coach but not a head coach in the modern NBA.

I agree but I also dont think this year is the year to consider that. Too much unpredictability with injuries.

But if that time comes itll be hard to move away from a proven coach to an unknown. You could likely end up with a Luke Walton rather than a Kenny Atkinson

In all honesty Clifford is a good assistant coach for the knowledge he brings on the defensive side of the ball. He clearly lacks making those in game adjustments and always sticks to his system regardless of the outcome. If we could get an actual good head coach and keep Clifford as an assistant on the defensive side this team would be faring much better this season. His lack of creativity on the offensive end combined with the fact he uses guys the wrong way is half the reason why we are in this mess. The other half is on the players who have been asked to do more than what they are capable of doing. For example I would never put the ball in Fournier's hands for as much as he currently has it. Evan would be a lot more useful coming off screens for good looking 3’s and slashing to the basket to draw the contact and get to the line. He is an above average finisher around the rim yet we have him running around the perimeter pounding the air out of the basketball for a crazy off balanced shot or dump off to Vuc. Just one of the many examples I could come up with on how this coaching staff is incorrectly using our players. Point being both sides are at fault but it starts with the Coach to set the expectations and hold players accountable when they are playing like trash and to also put the players in the best position to succeed based on their strengths and weaknesses. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Babir_9 said:

We need a modern bright young coach to succeed, not a stubborn old school assistant coach. Clifford is limiting his players, playing them out of position, we lost a few games when he was afraid to give extra 3-4 minutes to starters or key reserves. He has automatic rotations and no changes during the game. He is a great assistant coach but not a head coach in the modern NBA.

I just noticed you posted this after my mini rant about the same exact thing lol. Well put and couldn’t agree with you more!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I remember people saying what a dinosaur coach Vogel was when he was here, but he seems to be doing ok with LA.

It's amazing how much better a coach looks when he has real talent to work with.

It probably also helps he has LeBron and AD on his roster. Not much coaching needs to be done when you have guys like that on your team. Not tryna discredit him and the work he has done but you can’t compare the 2. 

32 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

In all honesty Clifford is a good assistant coach for the knowledge he brings on the defensive side of the ball. He clearly lacks making those in game adjustments and always sticks to his system regardless of the outcome. If we could get an actual good head coach and keep Clifford as an assistant on the defensive side this team would be faring much better this season. His lack of creativity on the offensive end combined with the fact he uses guys the wrong way is half the reason why we are in this mess. The other half is on the players who have been asked to do more than what they are capable of doing. For example I would never put the ball in Fournier's hands for as much as he currently has it. Evan would be a lot more useful coming off screens for good looking 3’s and slashing to the basket to draw the contact and get to the line. He is an above average finisher around the rim yet we have him running around the perimeter pounding the air out of the basketball for a crazy off balanced shot or dump off to Vuc. Just one of the many examples I could come up with on how this coaching staff is incorrectly using our players. Point being both sides are at fault but it starts with the Coach to set the expectations and hold players accountable when they are playing like trash and to also put the players in the best position to succeed based on their strengths and weaknesses. 

Again, those are you 2 best offensive players who shouldn’t be. It’s a roster problem.

21 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I remember people saying what a dinosaur coach Vogel was when he was here, but he seems to be doing ok with LA.

It's amazing how much better a coach looks when he has real talent to work with.

He has LeBron James and Davis. Swap them 2 with Vooch and Wes iwundu and we are winning the championship. 

Anybody look good with them 2.

I get you though.

Our problem is hard to pinpoint. But we look stale. Methodical... Lack imagination. We need a true number 1 with a proper pecking order. The player with the most natural talent is Markelle and he's deferring to players that on really good teams would be 3rd and 4 options if not bench players.

These guys think they are better than what they are and are allowed to run with it. Unfortunately that's all we have.

Our talent level is the main thing. And we are soft 

• Like 1

Wolves pull off the trifecta of things we wanted  the Magic to do for years. The Wolves overturned the whole roster. 

Actually 5 things in one trade deadline!

1. Pulled of the trade for a star in Russell. 

2. Traded almost nothing for a player another team undervalued. Malik Beasly.

3. Got a fantastic performance from an undrafted rookie, end of bench player.I'd kill for any of our bench players to perform like that just twice a year.

4. Managed to trade away bad contracts. This one amazes me the most from the Wolves and the Heat. Wiggins is obvious and it's up to the Warriors to make this seem better.

It wasn't just Wiggins, the managed to trade Dieng by jumping into the heat deal....Unbelievable! 

5. Move on from some players who can't score, move in an offensive direction. This one takes balls because the Wolves best player has defensive issues. However, this is a different league now. It's up to teams to get players who fit together who can shoot, then teach them defense. You can't just drop a defensive stopper on your team and hope it fixes everything. So goodbye Covington, hello shooters. 

TL, DR.  Wolves score 140 points beat Clippers do everything Magic should have done.

Not sure if they actually start winning more right away but they will be more fun to watch.Shout out to all the various members of this board who had Malik Beasly as a trade target. It's not just the Magic, the Suns stayed put on trade night and had another terrible loss. They should be much better as well. Meanwhile the Kings made some huge mistakes and got rid of two of them. They are starting to look better.

The Drummond,Wiggins,Dion,Mozgov,Deng,Westbrook,Parsons, and a whole bunch of other trades show us that any contract is tradeable!!!!

Any contract! Fire the whole front office!

I would have gladly traded almost anyone on this roster and  this years first round pick just to change things up. Now this summer it will be more difficult to do. Most of the teams that just wanted to absorb contracts for picks have no room now!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1