Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

5 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

It just happens too often to be a coincidence. It's not like Bamba or Vucevic contest sometimes and don't contest other times. They contest everything at the rim but they never contest the mid range. Never. Not once. I think it's by design. 

I agree that it's not what I would do. But "don't foul" is a pillar of Clifford's coaching philosophy so I wouldn't be surprised if it's taught that way. 

Right. There’s times where I just don’t understand why Vuc doesn’t stretch his arms out. Can’t be effort when he does it elsewhere on the court. 

13 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

It just happens too often to be a coincidence. It's not like Bamba or Vucevic contest sometimes and don't contest other times. They contest everything at the rim but they never contest the mid range. Never. Not once. I think it's by design. 

I agree that it's not what I would do. But "don't foul" is a pillar of Clifford's coaching philosophy so I wouldn't be surprised if it's taught that way. 

Pretty much

43 minutes ago, LaVar said:

therefore, Mo was suppose to bring defense as a starting point and I am looking for it. I think that maybe my issue.

Defense is literally the only thing he's bringing. For his career he's blocking 6.9% of shots while he's on the court. He was 10th in the league last year even including guys who played 6 minutes last season. 

He's holding opponents to 8% worse at the rim this year. That's good, not great. 

Only 16 players in the league are contesting shots at a higher rate than he does. 

Opponents aren't killing him on the perimeter. They're only hitting 34% of their shots outside of 16 feet which is 1% worse than usual

We play our best defense statistically when he's on the court (though there's a lot of noise in this due to playing him against backups exclusively so I wouldn't use that to say he's our "best defender" but just that defense isn't a problem)

So I really don't know what you're seeing here. I think there's confirmation bias involved. 

24 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Maybe it's just analytical. Protect the rim and 3pt shot and give up the more inefficient shot. 

Maybe Mo feels left out on the offense, thus reducing his motivation. Anybody on the floor should get a few plays designed for him. He gets none. You want to feel needed and appreciated on both sides of the court.  

And magicman you made me laugh thanks and I never called you one. But columbine?  I was roaring hahahahahahaha on that typo. 

21 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Maybe it's just analytical. Protect the rim and 3pt shot and give up the more inefficient shot. 

It has to be given that Clifford stated explicitly that Vucevic is playing the pick and roll defense correctly. 

1 hour ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Defense is literally the only thing he's bringing. For his career he's blocking 6.9% of shots while he's on the court. He was 10th in the league last year even including guys who played 6 minutes last season. 

He's holding opponents to 8% worse at the rim this year. That's good, not great. 

Only 16 players in the league are contesting shots at a higher rate than he does. 

Opponents aren't killing him on the perimeter. They're only hitting 34% of their shots outside of 16 feet which is 1% worse than usual

We play our best defense statistically when he's on the court (though there's a lot of noise in this due to playing him against backups exclusively so I wouldn't use that to say he's our "best defender" but just that defense isn't a problem)

So I really don't know what you're seeing here. I think there's confirmation bias involved. 

I will watch for this good to great defense next game. I just don't see the impact as consistently as you. He  is the only rotation player that makes me cringe when playing. I watched the last game 3 times and I missed what you are talking about. I'll pay more attention. 

33 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Maybe Mo feels left out on the offense, thus reducing his motivation. Anybody on the floor should get a few plays designed for him. He gets none. You want to feel needed and appreciated on both sides of the court.  

And magicman you made me laugh thanks and I never called you one. But columbine?  I was roaring hahahahahahaha on that typo. 

“If I didn’t know better this sounds like a somewhat racist thing to say”

Pretty much but no worries. You didn’t know any better.

1 hour ago, Magicpassion said:

I’m for one not sold on Bamba and think if someone values him we should at least listen. He has no post game, low energy, slow reacting and a below average shot. Defense should be automatic with his size; yet it isn’t. He’s a project to even be a role player. His song is even lousy. He screams overrated for #6 drafting position, possibly injury prone. The eye test for him is very bad. He really needs to start showing something, anything real soon. 

Can’t even have an opinion around here! 

7 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

Can’t even have an opinion around here! 

I will leave mo alone for a few games. I waited for 10 plus game. Some people really like his d for some reason. I don't. He doesn't pass the eye test. I will try to watch even more over the next few games. Maybe I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, LaVar said:

I will watch for this good to great defense next game. I just don't see the impact as consistently as you. He  is the only rotation player that makes me cringe when playing. I watched the last game 3 times and I missed what you are talking about. I'll pay more attention. 

He looks terrible. 

You can't dispute the impact though. It's measured. It's not something I'm making an opinion on. It's just literaly "when he defends a shot they're going in x% of the time" or "when he's on the court opponents score x% of the time". However terrible he looks on the court and however often he's out of position his overall impact is positive. Or at the very least it's not negative.

We can argue about the efficacy of these statistics and what they actually mean. We can discuss the how responsible he is for the accumulation of these statistics or the situational causes for these measurements. 

But there's physically not one metric available that says he's a bad or even below average defender.