Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

6 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Vooch won player of the week when he went 4-16 in a game? 

He averaged 54.2% FG and 66.7% from 3 on top of multiple other great stats so yes, he won player of week after a 4-16 game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

He averaged 54.2% FG and 66.7% from 3 on top of multiple other great stats so yes, he won player of week after a 4-16 game.

12 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Vooch won player of the week when he went 4-16 in a game? 

Also put up insane rebounding numbers and solid assist numbers.

11 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

8 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Also put up insane rebounding numbers and solid assist numbers.

Wasn’t meaning it to disparage the guy, I realize he had a good week. Just that typically with such a small sample size of 2-3-4 games, you’ve got somebody averaging like 36 points or something and they tend to just go with scoring. 

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

Wasn’t meaning it to disparage the guy, I realize he had a good week. Just that typically with such a small sample size of 2-3-4 games, you’ve got somebody averaging like 36 points or something and they tend to just go with scoring. 

Hopefully it's an indicator that they're moving away from just looking at what someone averages points wise. With pace being what it is, certain players have hugely inflated numbers. Just look at Harden. Vooch kinda hit every stat line over those 3 games and put up some pretty decent numbers. Hopefully he keeps it up as this is the Vooch we'll need to make the playoffs again.

4 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I'll let 4thewin reply to your post.

While I love Birch and his energy and athleticism, he doesn't offer much in scoring. He played a big role last season when Bamba was injured, but what I do observe about him is that he is not a good match up against taller centers who are also very good on defense and offense. 

What I am saying is Birch and Aminu are similar, only Aminu is better offensively.

If Birch has to play the same backup minutes as Bamba against very good teams, he won't be a difference maker. 

they play two different positions.

Khem Birch has always been a center. He plays bigger than his size and is a good shot blocker, pick and roll player, and can shot floaters and mid range shots. His energy, hustle and intangibles were key to us win games last year. If Moe played like khem, he would be an allstar because of his physical tools. The issue is their motors are night and day. Moe plays privileged and acts, on the court, like he does not need to earn anything. khem plays like it is his last game. Hustle and energy is why we resigned khem. 

Aminu has never been a center. He is a sf/pf tweener. I would say apples and oranges. Birch should get all of Bamba mins until he decides he want to play ball. 

58 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I don't buy the whole motivation/effort thing. Cliff isn't the type of coach to play a guy like that. He wouldn't be playing if that was the case.

Its not only the coaches job to develop players.  Some players take the money and run like Andrew Bynum.  Other's are satisfied with their position like Jimmy Butler.  Then there's players that fail to reach their zenith which Gordon might just well do.  Their time will pass them by.  Its a small window.   Mostly its up to him to put his work in now otherwise he'll miss his window.  He's lucky he's young.  

7 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Yeah. And I mean he might just be bad. But you need to give guys a certain amount of time before you make decisions on them especially when they're talented. 

I agree. We have invested too high of a pick to drop Mo for nothing, but he does not deserve to play the way he is playing. Play Khem Birch.

Mo is priming his self for the g league. I remember JJ needing to earn his mins. When he sucked. He was yanked out. JJ did not like it at first, but he said it was the best thing that ever happen to him in the league and he credits SVG for the lesson. He loves stan for showing him the way. Mo needs to earn his time and needs to be yanked. He misses play calls and rotation. He has no energy, so he does not run the floor or beat his man to spots. He gets dumb fouls. He does not play with active hands. He does not play with high hands. He does not box out. He does not try for loose balls. He does not rebound out of space. He is barely blocking shots with his wing span. (his calling card in college.) The only thing he has surprised me with is his shooting and he has even sucked at that in the last few games. 

Mo needs a defined roll. If I was coaching mo. I would tell him. I need you to give me all of your effort on defense. I need you beating your man down the floor on every play - rim runs and paint touches. I need you rotating with high hands and challenging every shot. I need you to get every rebound you can. I dont care about much else. Rebounds, blocks, defections, altered shots, beating your man to the paint on offense and defense. If I dont see these things, I am yanking you. He would have a clear understanding as of why you are pulled and we will try again next game.  I would track these things and go from there. (I can except hustle fouls, but not reaching dumb fouls.)

I dont want too much from mo. I know he is young and has a learning curve, but Fultz is young too. Fultz is not having an issue with hustle. He has had good games and bad games, but he hustle and plays defense, so I can live with the mistakes. Like in the wizards game, when we are down 2 point guards and you are the only PG left. Coach says do not foul and he fouls in 20 secs. What in the hell are you doing, but I can live with the rookie mistake because he paid us back with hustle and effort. Mo owes us a doubt for his mistakes and he has yet to repay it with hustle and energy. The coach can pay us with someone willing to pay mo debit. Where is Khem Birch.

1 hour ago, LaVar said:

they play two different positions.

Khem Birch has always been a center. He plays bigger than his size and is a good shot blocker, pick and roll player, and can shot floaters and mid range shots. His energy, hustle and intangibles were key to us win games last year. If Moe played like khem, he would be an allstar because of his physical tools. The issue is their motors are night and day. Moe plays privileged and acts, on the court, like he does not need to earn anything. khem plays like it is his last game. Hustle and energy is why we resigned khem. 

Aminu has never been a center. He is a sf/pf tweener. I would say apples and oranges. Birch should get all of Bamba mins until he decides he want to play ball. 

I don’t buy that Bamba’s issue is that he’s lazy— that shows up on some plays, sure, but that’s only 5% of the problem with Mo, if that. If he was playing defense at the level he’s capable of, we’d brush over him not running back for a chase down block since he’d be more than capable of it. His motor is more of an annoyance rather than a legitimate reason he’s not playing well.

When I watch Bamba, he looks lost on the defensive end. He’s tentative and often looks unsure about his assignment and defensive positioning. He’s late on rotations and on help defense, which is where Bamba derives so much of his value. When defending players outside the paint, he’s hesitant to use his length to defend jumpers out of fear of fouling. His inconsistency comes from a lack of mental understanding— when you watch Vuc, regardless of his athletic limitations, he’s always automatic in regards to knowing his assignments, pick and roll coverages and when and how to rotate. There’s no peeking back over his shoulder to see if he’s wrong in the way that Bamba always does. If Bamba played with his balls to the wall like you want him to, he’d foul out in 8 minutes and give up several easy buckets because his understanding of the defense just isn’t there. 

When Bamba stops thinking and just starts to react, he’ll be fine. I’m not sure if he’ll get to the point like Vuc or Birch where playing defense is like muscle memory, but it’s fairly obvious to me that Bamba’s extremely tentative on the court with making decisions, and it’s extremely detrimental. On defense, you don’t really have time to think— it’s react and make a play, and Bamba can’t really do that right now, certainly not in the same way that Birch or Vuc can. If he could, we wouldn’t be talking about his effort.

I think benching Bamba would be the worst thing. Give him every rep possible and hope he turns a corner mentally, or trade him and play Birch or a center you acquire. Benching him would make him even more tentative, and that’s something you don’t want.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

I don’t buy that Bamba’s issue is that he’s lazy— that shows up on some plays, sure, but that’s only 5% of the problem with Mo, if that. If he was playing defense at the level he’s capable of, we’d brush over him not running back for a chase down block since he’d be more than capable of it. His motor is more of an annoyance rather than a legitimate reason he’s not playing well.

When I watch Bamba, he looks lost on the defensive end. He’s tentative and often looks unsure about his assignment and defensive positioning. He’s late on rotations and on help defense, which is where Bamba derives so much of his value. When defending players outside the paint, he’s hesitant to use his length to defend jumpers out of fear of fouling. His inconsistency comes from a lack of mental understanding— when you watch Vuc, regardless of his athletic limitations, he’s always automatic in regards to knowing his assignments, pick and roll coverages and when and how to rotate. There’s no peeking back over his shoulder to see if he’s wrong in the way that Bamba always does. If Bamba played with his balls to the wall like you want him to, he’d foul out in 8 minutes and give up several easy buckets because his understanding of the defense just isn’t there. 

When Bamba stops thinking and just starts to react, he’ll be fine. I’m not sure if he’ll get to the point like Vuc or Birch where playing defense is like muscle memory, but it’s fairly obvious to me that Bamba’s extremely tentative on the court with making decisions, and it’s extremely detrimental. On defense, you don’t really have time to think— it’s react and make a play, and Bamba can’t really do that right now, certainly not in the same way that Birch or Vuc can. If he could, we wouldn’t be talking about his effort.

I think benching Bamba would be the worst thing. Give him every rep possible and hope he turns a corner mentally, or trade him and play Birch or a center you acquire. Benching him would make him even more tentative, and that’s something you don’t want.

I agree. 

He's playing scared. He's afraid to make mistakes. 

4 hours ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

Being dumb is not really something I am trying to hear. He is nearly getting the 8 fouls you are talking about on reaching fouls on guards (I am somewhat exaggerating). When you are faster than john wall and westbook, it is not much to ask to beat your man down the court. He playing 13 mins a game. It does not take much thought to turn and find your man to box out, then find the ball. I am not in the NBA and I know that much. It does not take much thought to seek the ball and not watch the ball go out of bounds. He literally did that recently. He watched the ball roll 10 feet and made no effort to get the ball and it became the other teams ball. Having high hands and challenging shots does not mean you need to foul, but it is better than the reaching fouls he gets now. I can live with him challenging shots and get pumped faked sometimes. Why are you 7'1"  with a 7' 10" wingspan with your hands by your sides or trying to cover a man eyes with your hand. Are you going to block something with your head? It is not fair to the rest of the team or the fans to have a player out there that is that garbage. When he plays that bad, save him from his self. JJ got pulled for playing bad. He turned out ok.