Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

7 minutes ago, LaVar said:

I like what he does and dont think his defense is as bad as advertised.

I think Doncic does not go off in the second half if we dont allow him to rest by not attacking with gordon.

His defense is quite bad.  A big reason Doncic did go off is because Vooch plays his PnR coverage extremely poorly against guards who get into the paint.  He keeps dropping and never commits.  The Doncic floaters in the 2nd half that Vooch defended were almost comical in the way Nik kept backing up -- he gave Luka a free pass right to the front of the rim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Why is keeping Vuc on an even more diminished offensive role seen as a good thing or the preferred option?

I like the ball going through vuc, but sometimes it is not a good option in the post because of the matchups. Marc gasal is an example of a bad match up for vuch. In that type of match up we need pick and roll or pick and pop with a play maker like fultz or MCW. We are not using our PGs good enough. They can create offense for everyone. I hate when Cliff talks about Fultz because he tells us how great he is in the lane and with the ball. I dont want to hear words, show us by calling his number 20 times a game to make plays. Increase fultz usage rate and let see what happens. Tell the kid to attack the rim down hill. I dont want his usage to be bring the ball up, pass to someone, and sit in the corner. Give me some kemba walker plays on multiple positions.

I know you have the plays cliff. Dont play with me. 

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

His defense is quite bad.  A big reason Doncic did go off is because Vooch plays his PnR coverage extremely poorly against guards who get into the paint.  He keeps dropping and never commits.  The Doncic floaters in the 2nd half that Vooch defended were almost comical in the way Nik kept backing up -- he gave Luka a free pass right to the front of the rim.

I think that is what cliff wanted to give up. I think it was the coverage call. Personally, I would have blitz or trapped, but I think that is sometimes by design. The truth is, our defense is not the issue. It is the 30th offense in the league. Our defense has been good and vuch has not been the issue there. He closes out our defensive possessions with this rebounds in and out of space. He is long and can get in passing lanes.  He is fine on defense. We need to fix the offense by yesterday.

(Dont get me wrong. Our shooting as a team is the reason we have lost a lot of games. That is not on the coach. I blame the players in not hitting open shots. Though, I do think our pgs can get us easier shots.)

Another trade I would do at the dead line is McCollum and Hood for Fournier and Gordon (Maybe a pick).

That would give us

Vuch, Isaac, Hood, McCollum, Fultz

Moe, Chief, Ross, MCW/DJ

Portland would have 

whiteside, collins, Gordon, Fournier, Lillard

13 minutes ago, LaVar said:

Another trade I would do at the dead line is McCollum and Hood for Fournier and Gordon (Maybe a pick).

That would give us

Vuch, Isaac, Hood, McCollum, Fultz

Moe, Chief, Ross, MCW/DJ

Portland would have 

whiteside, collins, Gordon, Fournier, Lillard

Not enough defense to be a high end defensive team. 

Not enough offense to be a high level offensive team. 

Feels a whole lot like our 15-16 team. Probably a little better because Isaac is a higher impact defender but that team has no future. 

The answer here isn't to trade out defense for offense to create a balance. That's the route to having no identity. It's to find either overwhelmingly good offensive only players and use our defenders to mitigate their weakness or grab two way well balanced players. 

58 minutes ago, LaVar said:

I think that is what cliff wanted to give up. I think it was the coverage call. Personally, I would have blitz or trapped, but I think that is sometimes by design. The truth is, our defense is not the issue. It is the 30th offense in the league. Our defense has been good and vuch has not been the issue there. He closes out our defensive possessions with this rebounds in and out of space. He is long and can get in passing lanes.  He is fine on defense. We need to fix the offense by yesterday.

Giving up 4 foot floaters over and over again to Doncic, Trae, Westbrook, etc is not by design; Vooch's execution of his responsibility in the coverage of that type of attack is flat out awful.  He's supposed to commit at some point and stop the penetration, which he never does.  They just walk right to the rim.

It's a different story when we employ drop PnR coverage against high volume 3 point shooting guards like Lillard, Kyrie.  THAT is mainly a coaching faux pas which can't really be blamed on Vooch -- of course he can't defend that reliably.  We're putting him in a bad situation to have to do so.

Saying he is fine on defense b/c we need to fix the offense is disingenuous.  Just because there is an glaring problem with the offense so far doesn't mean there are no problems with the defense.  Any discussion of how the defense can improve largely begins with Vooch.  We don't just get to ignore that because we have other problems also.  That's like me neglecting to make my car payment because my mortgage costs more.

You guys have to understand with guys like McCollum, you want him because he averages 20 ppg. But you don't get to port over his numbers. You have to plug him into the rest of our rotation. McCollum has averaged 21ppg over the past 3 seasons but needed 18.3 shots per game to get those shots. 

If he only got 16 shots per game and his scoring dropped to 18.5 ppg would you still view him as a big addition? Because that's what's likely to happen when he comes here. Because in Portland he's in a system where he and Dame get every shot they can take and their center is the only other player who gets 10 shots per game. It's a two option offense. Here we spread it out more which hampers everyone's numbers. 

Additionally, McCollum has been a less efficient scorer than Fournier for a while now. He got this reputation as an elite offensive player during the 16-17 season when he hit 51% of his twos, 42% of his threes, and 91% of his free throws. But that was just an outlier season. 

Since that season he's hit 48% of his twos, 38% of his threes, and 83% of his free throws. That seems trivial. But 4% on three point shooting is the difference between the average team last year and the best team last year. It's the difference between being a top 15 shooter and a top 55 shooter. 

So consider these things when you blow up the team to get a guy like that. 

Rashard Lewis was a 22 ppg guy in Seattle. People were disappointed when he came here because his scoring dropped to 17ppg despite the fact he had the three best seasons of his career here. 

1 hour ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Rashard Lewis was a 22 ppg guy in Seattle. People were disappointed when he came here because his scoring dropped to 17ppg despite the fact he had the three best seasons of his career here. 

and who can forget his game-winning shot at the Eastern Conference Finals against the Cavaliers ...

2 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

You guys have to understand with guys like McCollum, you want him because he averages 20 ppg. But you don't get to port over his numbers. You have to plug him into the rest of our rotation. McCollum has averaged 21ppg over the past 3 seasons but needed 18.3 shots per game to get those shots. 

If he only got 16 shots per game and his scoring dropped to 18.5 ppg would you still view him as a big addition? Because that's what's likely to happen when he comes here. Because in Portland he's in a system where he and Dame get every shot they can take and their center is the only other player who gets 10 shots per game. It's a two option offense. Here we spread it out more which hampers everyone's numbers. 

Additionally, McCollum has been a less efficient scorer than Fournier for a while now. He got this reputation as an elite offensive player during the 16-17 season when he hit 51% of his twos, 42% of his threes, and 91% of his free throws. But that was just an outlier season. 

Since that season he's hit 48% of his twos, 38% of his threes, and 83% of his free throws. That seems trivial. But 4% on three point shooting is the difference between the average team last year and the best team last year. It's the difference between being a top 15 shooter and a top 55 shooter. 

So consider these things when you blow up the team to get a guy like that. 

McCollum is a phenomenal scorer. 48%, 38%, and 83% is not bad on volume shooting. He would be the best scorer we would of had in a long time. 

I like him a lot. He does not fit our size and length plan and that is really the only issue. I dont think evan is a better player than McCollum, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. 

I do like evan's size and ablity to play both SG and SF. McCollum size reminders me of why we choose Evan over Victor. I think some would like to have Victor back, but that is another story.  McCollum can also play PG. I am more so giving different ideas. 

• Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, LaVar said:

McCollum is a phenomenal scorer. 48%, 38%, and 83% is not bad on volume shooting. He would be the best scorer we would of had in a long time. 

I like him a lot. He does not fit our size and length plan and that is really the only issue. I dont think evan is a better player than McCollum, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. 

I do like evan's size and ablity to play both SG and SF. McCollum size reminders me of why we choose Evan over Victor. I think some would like to have Victor back, but that is another story.  McCollum can also play PG. I am more so giving different ideas. 

I don't think Evan is a better player than McCollum either. Not really at all. McCollum isn't an Aaron Gordon level improvement over Fournier though. 

And McCollum isn't a phenomenal scorer. He's good. He's a good player who fits a system designed to highlight his strengths and gives him every opportunity to score.

My point was you want him because he scores 20 a game and I think if he scored 18 a game you'd view him as a nice piece to build around but not someone to give up a lot of stuff for. And you're not considering that he's probably going to be that player if he came here. 

So did the Sentinel run any kind of a big preview of the Magic this year which I missed?   Or are they not doing that any more?