Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Fultz mid-range shot looks very fluid, but his 3 looks very bad. What do you guys think is the problem? And do you think he’ll ever get the fluidity back in his 3-point shot?

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Fultz mid-range shot looks very fluid, but his 3 looks very bad. What do you guys think is the problem? And do you think he’ll ever get the fluidity back in his 3-point shot?

Myself, I'm looking at Fultz shooting this year similar to how I looked at 21-year-old Gordon shooting 3's. Or even Vuc that first year it was clear he was trying to add that to his game. Or really anyone who doesn't have that shot yet, but should be able to add it in time. Fultz doesn't look comfortable shooting the 3, but everything about his mid-range shooting and the fact that he was a very solid outside shooter in college makes me hopeful that he'll get comfortable in time. But he'll never be comfortable if he doesn't pull the trigger. Will it hurt us sometimes, Fultz taking what are right now actually bad shots? Yes, probably. But much like we all understood with Gordon's first 3 years, he'll never add it to his game if he's not shooting them in games. He doesn't need to over-do it, just take open shots as though he's a 35% shooter from out there, whether he actually is yet or not. I expect he'll be able to keep people honest out there within a couple years. But this season's probably going to be ugly from outside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Could be lack of strength 

3 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Could be lack of strength 

What I was thinking. He still needs to strengthen that shoulder and that’s why it’s such a big difference between his mid range J and 3 pointers. Either way if he is open I’m fine with him taking the 3 just don’t want to see any step back 3 pointers or I’ll advised shots going up. 

3 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

What I was thinking. He still needs to strengthen that shoulder and that’s why it’s such a big difference between his mid range J and 3 pointers. Either way if he is open I’m fine with him taking the 3 just don’t want to see any step back 3 pointers or I’ll advised shots going up. 

Yes, I agree. If you watch his college videos he's got a nice high release (like on his current mid-range shot) all the way out to beyond the college 3pt line. As noted his spot up shot from behind the NBA arc is a totally different release (as is his FT shot for whatever reason). In general it appears to me that he prefers to shoot off the dribble, which is good seeing as how he's going to have the ball in his hands and creating his own shot most of the time. Hopefully we'll see improvement as he regains strength and confidence.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

If all Fultz becomes is Shaun Livingston, I'm fine with that. If somehow he regains an outside shot, watch out world!

I know where you're going with this but fultz might already be better than Livingston due to his dynamism. Post injury Livingston was consistently solid and big but I just don't really see them being on the same continuum because Livingston was just a smart player with a consistent mid range jumper and didn't beat many guys but finished over them. 

I think the better comparison for a benchmark is Ricky Rubio. Passing, defense, inefficient offense. A guy who looks bad based on box score numbers but is somehow always a positive influence on the floor. 

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

For a diuretic? Come on now 

Apparently some diuretics are used to mask other drug use, but a follow up test found neither. I think the NBA players union may contest and get it reduced. 

14 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Apparently some diuretics are used to mask other drug use, but a follow up test found neither. I think the NBA players union may contest and get it reduced. 

It's tough because there's really no alternative excuse for why a diuretic (at least the ones they test for) would be in his system. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Holy crap....that would be huge for us! Edit to say that $16.7M is stretched over this season and the next two. It's still something...but is it anything?