LaVar

Fultz: Heart to Heart

game 39: Fultz got his first start on the magic. He played well on def and had a few nice plays on offense. Cliff needs to put fultz more in pick and rolls. He got a few steals and ran the offense. There was key turnover by fultz that hurt us late. But over all, he looked good with the starters. Cliff needs to run the offense more though fultz. When he gets in the lane good things happen for the team.  

Game 40: OKC: Fultz had one of his better games. He was aggressive shooting and pushing the ball. He played with good energy. He had like 3 rebounds in the 1st 5mins. He took ten shots in the flow of the offense. He did not pass up shot. Good game for him. Now we just need to get a win with him as a starter. 50% shooting. 

Game 41: Dallas: Fultz did great getting in the lane. He had a nice lobe to Gordon and he played good overall. He is shooting very well from the FT line and I still want the team to give him the ball more. The bad thing this game for Fultz was JJ barea. Though, the bigs did not help Fultz on a lot of the screens. JJ give fultz buckets.  It was a turning point in the game. 

11 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

Believe it or not, Fultz is the guy with the best FG % in the whole team

we have an astonishing 4 players under 40% (ross is even under 30%) and our usually high % bigs are at 39% -bamba-, 41% -vucevic- or 44% -gordon and isaac-

Yes, fultz does well finishing at the basket and making good plays in the lane. We just need to run more plays for him to do it. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:22 PM, LaVar said:

Yes, fultz does well finishing at the basket and making good plays in the lane. We just need to run more plays for him to do it. 

Game:42: Griz: fultz played good def on Ja Morant and he got his first win as a starter. He did not have a good offensive game but he had two nice steals and two nice blocks. He has not capitalized on his isso plays. We have posted him 3 times now, on the block, and we have gotten zero return. Coach needs to go to more fultz in the middle of the lane so he can do the turn around he likes. I like when fultz pens his man low to post. I dont like him on the block. He has scored most times, when he catches it in the paint. 

On 11/9/2019 at 8:25 PM, LaVar said:

Game:42: Griz: fultz played good def on Ja Morant and he got his first win as a starter. He did not have a good offensive game but he had two nice steals and two nice blocks. He has not capitalized on his isso plays. We have posted him 3 times now, on the block, and we have gotten zero return. Coach needs to go to more fultz in the middle of the lane so he can do the turn around he likes. I like when fultz pens his man low to post. I dont like him on the block. He has scored most times, when he catches it in the paint. 

Game 43: Pacers: This was a great game to show that Fultz can help the team in the half court. We used a good amount of pick and roll and fultz was able to find open people. As a team, the pacers just did not miss any open mid range shots. It was the difference in the game. Our offense was fine but the other team just hit more shots. We did not look like a top 3 defense this game but it happens. Pacers looked really good to be missing both victor and turner. We, as a team, need to up our play. I had us as the 4th best team in the east but the pacers proof me wrong. Until we show different, the pacers are a head of us. With brogdon, sabonis, and warren playing like they are, we need to watch out after victor, lamb, and turner return. They will be scary. 

Game 44: 76ers:

Pure Magic (Pros): Fultz did play very good defense. He had a few good cuts to the basket and was aggressive down hill in transition. I also liked his energy. He got his second win as a starter and it was against a quality team. 

Disenchantment (Cons): He did not hit his normal shots this game. He had a couple of bad rolls on the rim. There were a few plays were the 76ers just did not guard him at all. This will be a problem if he is only going to be used off ball. When he is on the court, he is best used as the playmaker, because it allows him to be a threat. I hate when he kills his dribble and is force to pass before making any type of quality move to the basket. I also hate plays that he comes down, passes it and sits in the corner. We did not use the same amount of pick and rolls for fultz this game as last game. The play calling is not under fultz control, but he can control is dribble and aggression when his number is dialed.  

Note: DJ was also rolling this game, so he did not get any 4th quarter mins. I think DJ being a jump shooting threat was big this game. Either way, Ill take the win. 

Game 45: Spurs:

Pure Magic (Pros): I think this was Fultz's best game. He played well on both sides. I think he would have had 20 or more if he could of had the mins. He was down hill and in the paint all night. You could see the 1st pick talent this game. The speed, ball control, body control, size, length, and strength was on display. It was really exciting to see as a magic fan. He would have had a lot of assist this game, but there were a lot of missed shots and missed layups. Vuch had his worse game in a long time and he missed a lot of great point blank shots. This really hurt Fultz numbers. We played a good amount of pick and roll. Thank God coach. Please continue. Fultz has the ability to generate easy buckets for the team. 

Disenchantment (Cons): Minute restriction was the only thing holding back fultz. It really hurt his rhythm. He was hot, but the bench cooled him off in the 4th. I wonder how long we are going to restrict his mins. At the beginning of the season, they said he had no restriction and he was cleared to play. We only learned of this recently. 

• Upvote 1

Game 46: Wizards:

Pure Magic (Pros): in only 25mins, Fultz had a 19 pt career high today. He hit 80% of his shots - including 2 out for 3 from 3pt range. He had two big dunks and one of them clinched the game. You can see him getting better and better with each game. He took his open shots today and made them. I would like to see this continue. Great work today. The dunk at the end of the game was only the beginning of his revenge. I really just want to see Fultz rampage on this league. It would be a great thing to watch. 

Disenchantment (Cons): I would still consider this as Fultz's second best game. The last game to me was better and against a better team. He was more aggressive verses the spurs. There was no way in the world Isiah Thomas could have guarded Fultz. If he would have played like he did verses the spurs, he may have had 30 pts. It was the wizards and their poorest defense. Fultz had 4 turnovers and we really did not go to him in the 4th. I do think he is too passive in the 4th quarters. His passiveness could be because of the coaches play calling, coach asking him to milk the clock, or vet players asking for the ball at the end of the game. Either way, he does not get in the paint  as much in the 4th. He does not continue to push the ball and try to touch the paint for early offense with his driving. There is a noticeable difference for me in the 4th, when he subs in with about 5mins left in the game. 

Dont get me wrong, Fultz had a great game, the play of the game in the 4th was electric, and we won 3 in a row. I will take that every day. When he is in the game, I just want to see him continue to attack and for us to continue to call his number.   

Game 47: Raptors:

Pure Magic (Pros): Fultz played ok. He had 4 ast with no turnovers. He also had a few nice drives to the basket. He does a great job in traffic.  He was also one of the few plus players. With the injuries that happen, Fultz may have a minute increase and the offense may run through him. This could be great for the future on Fultz and the team, if management make the decision. The magic need him to be special. There are only 3 scorers  on the team now and without fultz the magic could lose the next 10 games. That sounds like a lose season. 

Disenchantment (Cons): Though, they looked better, he did not hit his long ranged shots. Other than one last sec heave, he also missed his mid range shots too.  Additionally, Fultz is still stuck on 25mins a game. He did not seem to go down hill or push the tempo as much this game. I think he could have been more aggressive.  

Random thought of the day:

The more I watch Fultz. The more a say to myself, "I see him being a star one day". He has it. The tools, the vision, and the work ethic is there for him. Once he is given the mins and continue to be more comfortable, it will come.

The 3 areas that I think will allow him to move the needle toward stardom are: minutes, consistent shooting, and offensive aggression. 

Minutes

I think him getting more mins is key. I get it. I know they are trying to protect him, because he has been hurt for 2 years. So, I know why, but once this restriction lifts, it will open up his next step of development and allow the coach to do more with him. The more rep fultz gets, the quicker he will develop. You can literately see the rust falling off of him.   The mins are really holding him back. I wonder what the doctors are saying. Going forward, we need fultz more than ever.

Consistent Shooting

The more mins Fultz gets, I think his shot will turn around. He was a shooter in college, so once his body getting use to being healthy again, we will see a change. He just needs to rebuild his timing, mussel memory, and rhythm back.  Once he gets this down again, watch out.  He will be in the paint all day long, because teams will need to go over the picks instead of way under. Therefore, he can better utilize picks and the offensive sets. He assist numbers will also go up, because he will draw players and kick out better to the open players.

Fultz, just keep shooting your open shots. It is not about forcing shots or taking contested shots from three, but it is about taking good looks. Shooting wise, everyone on the team looked bad early, but the good shooter kept shooting, because they knew it will turn around. Keep shooting and it will continue to turn around for you. 

Offensive Aggression

I think this area is 50/50 coach and player. I think some of the issue is on fultz not pushing the pace on every opportunity, but it is hard to know when it is him or the coach asking him to slow it down. I would like to see the coach tell fultz to try to get in the paint on nearly every play. I really do hate the plays that fultz dibble hands off to fournier or someone else, because I feel that fultz has the ablity to make other players better.

Fournier is good at times but he is a sg, so mentally he is a shoot first type player. That is not a dig at fournier. He is just suppose to have a shoot first mind set. I think people get mad at Fournier because the team is asking him to do something that is better suited for fultz or point gaurds - which is playmaking and facilitating. We just have been without a real pg guard since Jameer nelson, because we love our length. (We just draft a certain type of player.)

I would love to see Fultz try to destroy players every chance he gets. One example that stands out to me was in the Detroit game. He was much bigger and Isiah Thomas. On every play he was guarding him, I felt it as an easy bucket. I really think this was a big miss on the coach or fultz just not taking it to Thomas. We won, so it was water under the bridge, but there will be times that not attacking the match-up will cost us a win. If i was in fultz shoes, I would have told the coach, Thomas can not guard me. (Aaron Gordon did this when he was mic'd up.) 

In conclusion, I dont know what has been said or not. I dont know what the coach is asking from fultz. I just feel Fultz can be better used and should be better used with Gordon and Vuch now sidelined. Tonight should be the beginning of a new aggressive Fultz. Fultz, you said you want to kill everybody on the court. Load your guns. We need you now. Fults, remember the doubter, remember the laughs, remember the talking heads, remember the pain and the fight, remember how badly you wanted to play and do great things, remember how good you are and kill everyone on the the court...  Revenge is best served cold... be that cold blood killer you are...

We watching....