JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

20 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think your analysis is correct. He wasn't good because his shots were falling. He was attacking guys off the dribble and getting to the rim. 

That's the type of Gordon we need and I think you'd agree. Taking bigs off the dribble. Posting up guards. Cutting off ball. Shooting open threes off of kick outs. 

Consistently though...

3 hours ago, magicblue said:

My thoughts:

The MCW/Fultz experiment in the backcourt should be abandoned. Neither can shoot, nor want to shoot, and you can't have that from both backcourt players at the same time. If Fultz was starting we'd be bringing Augustine off the bench and MCW could later sub for Fournier, which would at least keep one shooter in the PG/SG spot and give us better balance.

Completely agree with this.

Otherwise, will reserve judgement on the team pending the start of the regular season.  

Edit:   Time to retire this one and start a regular season thread soon.  Maybe Monday?

Vooch might take his foot off the gas this year from last year's contract drive?  Wow - who knew - besides everyone on this board?

The only thing that scares me with them: Does Nikola Vucevic punt now that he has money [after signing a four-year, $100 million extension]? I know people who’ve spent time around him and think he might take his foot off the gas. . . . They have a talented roster, but it’s very weird. They added Al-Fariuq Aminu. The last thing they needed was more long, nonshooting fours. But he’s a really good player. They’re a team that at the deadline could really help another team. Aminu’s very, very movable. . . . Jonathan Isaac was really good at the end of the year, just doing little things defensively in rotations. He can guard centers in pick-and-roll and fours on the perimeter. . . . Aaron Gordon has his warts, but he’s good. [Criticizing his] shooting consistency is low-hanging fruit, and he’s continuing to improve there. He needs to realize: I’m a four, I’m not a three, but I can use that to my advantage and create for others by breaking down defenses and really passing. He just doesn’t exactly fit with the rest of what they have if he’s a wing. Defensively, he gives effort, but can he be a lockdown?. . . D.J. Augustin is a pro. He’ll continue to run the show and get guys fed. . . . I’m not really relying on Markelle Fultz. I know a lot of people are like, What the hell are they doing picking up Fultz’s option? I think you have to. This is the best way to find a star. This is the best way to turn this middle- of-the-pack team into a contender.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/10/18/nba-preview-anonymous-scout-takes

I think because of our ridiculous PG situation last year MCW has become a little over valued by managment, our coach, and some fans. Not only do I not want to see him playing with Fultz I rather he not be on the team! He puts this team in an awkward spot where we feel like we need to play him because he has the ability to stop/switch on certain players. I much rather roll with Fultz and Iwundu.

Hopefully sooner rather than later Fultz can fill that "we need a stopper in crunch time" role and he can run with DJ for those minutes.

4 hours ago, magicblue said:

My thoughts:

The MCW/Fultz experiment in the backcourt should be abandoned. Neither can shoot, nor want to shoot, and you can't have that from both backcourt players at the same time. If Fultz was starting we'd be bringing Augustine off the bench and MCW could later sub for Fournier, which would at least keep one shooter in the PG/SG spot and give us better balance.

Vuc is playing like a guy who just signed a nice big contract. Terrible decision making/passing and watching guys as they score layups at the basket. Non-contract year Vuc is not going to work for us the way this team is built. The trouble is our half court offense looks terrible when he's not out there.

AG/Fournier/Vuc have to show up and play every night in order for us to be successful and that has not been happening the past few games. I hope we're just not interested because its pre-season but this is not the way we should be approaching the season, we're just not good enough to expect to turn things on once the games count.

Not worried about Fultz. As long as he stays healthy I believe it will come

. . . watching guys as they score layups at the basket.  (See above quote)

I noticed that several times, and said to myself that Miami is having layup drills under the basket with no one there to stop it. There was little to no effort by Vuc to defend and grab rebounds. What do you call it, "pedestrian"?

As I said about Vuc last year, when he was playing like an All Star . . .it was "Fool's Gold". After making the playoffs and losing out in the first round, I figured he would come back down to earth this season [same as with Fournier].

1 hour ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I think because of our ridiculous PG situation last year MCW has become a little over valued by managment, our coach, and some fans. Not only do I not want to see him playing with Fultz I rather he not be on the team! He puts this team in an awkward spot where we feel like we need to play him because he has the ability to stop/switch on certain players. I much rather roll with Fultz and Iwundu.

Hopefully sooner rather than later Fultz can fill that "we need a stopper in crunch time" role and he can run with DJ for those minutes.

I don't know. He's worth rostering. He's really good at a single thing and that is something worth having at the end of the bench. 

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't know. He's worth rostering. He's really good at a single thing and that is something worth having at the end of the bench. 

Eeehhh I think what he brings is less valuable than a 3rd string PG who doesn't play and more development for Fultz/Iwundu. If Iwundu isn't better than him (I think he is) there definently isn't enough of a drop off to significantly alter the team. 

8 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Eeehhh I think what he brings is less valuable than a 3rd string PG who doesn't play and more development for Fultz/Iwundu. If Iwundu isn't better than him (I think he is) there definently isn't enough of a drop off to significantly alter the team. 

I don't think MCW is going to play all that much other than nights where somebody is torching augustin or due to injury. 

If he gets the Willie green treatment I'll agree with you. 

22 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Agreed. Last season, MCW and Ross were 2 of the bench players that helped us to stay close in games. He played very good defense, and because he played an aggressive/uptempo style, it brought other teammates along with him. MCW's offense was not that bad either.

In my opinion, I think his pre-season performance this year has been affected by the rotations and the other teammates that he is forced to play with. I guess you can call it chemistry. I think he played better last year when he played alongside of DJ or when he was running the offense as the point guard.

28 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think MCW is going to play all that much other than nights where somebody is torching augustin or due to injury. 

If he gets the Willie green treatment I'll agree with you. 

Forgot to count Ross in my rotation list. Was thinking MCW was the 9th man. 

But for those suggesting MCW plays significant minutes they are out their mind!

16 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Agreed. Last season, MCW and Ross were 2 of the bench players that helped us to stay close in games. He played very good defense, and because he played an aggressive/uptempo style, it brought other teammates along with him. MCW's offense was not that bad either.

In my opinion, I think his pre-season performance this year has been affected by the rotations and the other teammates that he is forced to play with. I guess you can call it chemistry. I think he played better last year when he played alongside of DJ or when he was running the offense as the point guard.

I don't think his performance this preseason is bad. I just think it doesn't make sense to play him as a shooting guard next to fultz. He's not a good player, he's just a really good player in a very well defined role and outside that role he's problematic.