JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

So we lost the three preseason games at home.   Doesn’t really mean anything but a little disappointing for the fans.   Not a great way to build excitement for the upcoming season.  

Still no go-to guy. I hoped AG was going to develop into a "Jimmy Butler" type guy for Magic. I think I've seen enough now to realize he's probably always gonna be a great athlete with  erratic offensive tools except dunking. I think Fournier, AG and Ross are going to be a continued hinderance to total team cohesiveness on offense. I would like to see DJ, MCW, JI, Bamba and Vuc start given our current roster. Put Fultz, Fournier, Ross, AG and KB on the 2nd group. We know Vuc/Fournier together is slow and slower 2-man offense. If we don't do something to fix that dynamic, the offense will be underwhelming for long stretches in far too many games. Our 2nd unit has a chance to be good but Clifford needs to reign Ross in and remind him that he actually has some guys around him now that can score. It's very frustrating to watch a Heat team with 1 go-to guy and a bunch of slappies, move the ball and execute an offense that is cohesive and gets open looks continuously.

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, TRoss43 said:

Still no go-to guy. I hoped AG was going to develop into a "Jimmy Butler" type guy for Magic. I think I've seen enough now to realize he's probably always gonna be a great athlete with  erratic offensive tools except dunking. I think Fournier, AG and Ross are going to be a continued hinderance to total team cohesiveness on offense. I would like to see DJ, MCW, JI, Bamba and Vuc start given our current roster. Put Fultz, Fournier, Ross, AG and KB on the 2nd group. We know Vuc/Fournier together is slow and slower 2-man offense. If we don't do something to fix that dynamic, the offense will be underwhelming for long stretches in far too many games. Our 2nd unit has a chance to be good but Clifford needs to reign Ross in and remind him that he actually has some guys around him now that can score. It's very frustrating to watch a Heat team with 1 go-to guy and a bunch of slappies, move the ball and execute an offense that is cohesive and gets open looks continuously.

Butler was 25 when he broke out. Gordon is 24. Relax...

Also that starting lineup is awful.

1 hour ago, BBROSS said:

Fultz seems a liability right now hopefully it wont take too long to get up to speed.

I get why you came to this conclusion due to the inefficiency and turnovers, but I disagree in terms of him being a liability. From what I saw, Fultz was one of the only players generating offense on his own with the bench unit. His ability to get into the paint is unique, and he’s probably the only player on the bench capable of doing so on any sort of consistent basis. From what I remember, he set up Bamba for the majority of his threes and took on basically all the onus of the playmaking when Augustin and Fournier were resting (MCW played strictly off ball from what I saw, and didn’t really initiate too much of his own action other than driving in off of kick outs)

Basically, if Fultz was the one thrown out instead of MCW, our bench unit would’ve been completely screwed with MCW-Iwundu-Ross-Aminu-Bamba, with nobody capable of creating offense consistently. So, while Fultz was bad in the box score, he was integral to the positives of that 2nd unit.

He definitely needs to become more efficient around the basket and become less turnover prone, of course, and I thought he pressed with his jumper by taking a couple of pull up 3’s and long step back 2’s, but I feel like calling him a liability is a little too strong— though it is possible I’m biased.

• Upvote 1

Lots of experimenting still going on in last night's game. Should hopefully be a 9 man rotation come next week.

Little concerned that MCW will sneak in as the 10th man. Think I prefer Iwundu there, his form on his 3 point shot seems improved and may actually stop defenders completely sagging off him finally.

Looking forward to games that will be played properly from next week, feels like it's been forever!

2 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

Lots of experimenting still going on in last night's game. Should hopefully be a 9 man rotation come next week.

Little concerned that MCW will sneak in as the 10th man. Think I prefer Iwundu there, his form on his 3 point shot seems improved and may actually stop defenders completely sagging off him finally.

Looking forward to games that will be played properly from next week, feels like it's been forever!

Yeah. Iwundu makes more sense in lineups with fultz and Ross

MCW should only play in specific scenarios where teams have really good/quick 1s and 2s and we need defense on pick and rolls. Or if a point guard gets injured. 

Iwundu makes more sense as a 10th man.

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. Iwundu makes more sense in lineups with fultz and Ross

MCW should only play in specific scenarios where teams have really good/quick 1s and 2s and we need defense on pick and rolls. Or if a point guard gets injured. 

Iwundu makes more sense as a 10th man.

Wes’ 3 ball is clean. 

So what I saw last night was still a team that's bored with the preseason and just looking ahead for the season to start. We'd play 4 relatively great minutes where we'd do everything we needed to do and go on big runs, basically state "ok, mission accomplished, did everything you asked, coach, let's start the season" then have everything undone in 2 minutes where they let off the gas. 

Gordon is still paying bad on both ends. But he played well early and didn't get the calls he wanted and then quit and made really lazy decisions with the ball and really lazy decisions on defense especially when matched up against Butler. It's like he said "why over exert myself in a meaningless game". I wouldn't expect that to continue into the season. 

Vucevic was uncharacteristically sloppy with his passes. Great on D early. Lazy late. 

Bamba played really well. His screens were much better and his timing on defense with lobs into the paint is showing significant improvement. 

However his numbers are almost identical to last year so I'm not sure we can take anything from his preseason production. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

So what I saw last night was still a team that's bored with the preseason and just looking ahead for the season to start. We'd play 4 relatively great minutes where we'd do everything we needed to do and go on big runs, basically state "ok, mission accomplished, did everything you asked, coach, let's start the season" then have everything undone in 2 minutes where they let off the gas. 

Gordon is still paying bad on both ends. But he played well early and didn't get the calls he wanted and then quit and made really lazy decisions with the ball and really lazy decisions on defense especially when matched up against Butler. It's like he said "why over exert myself in a meaningless game". I wouldn't expect that to continue into the season. 

Vucevic was uncharacteristically sloppy with his passes. Great on D early. Lazy late. 

Bamba played really well. His screens were much better and his timing on defense with lobs into the paint is showing significant improvement. 

However his numbers are almost identical to last year so I'm not sure we can take anything from his preseason production. 

Yeah I’m not going to put much emphasis on preseason performances. Just on Fultz and how he’s feeling after each game and young guys.

However I do feel that we are at a point where we know what AG is.