JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

2 hours ago, IrishCelticHater said:

Do you think Gordon/Issac/Aminu/Okeke will all be on this team next year?  

Maybe to start. I anticipate we'll flip aminu for cap room before the 2021 trade deadline or the following offseason depending on how capable okeke is year one. 

If aminu plays his entire contract here he's either indispensable, we made another move and still need him, or he was a terrible signing that the front office should be seriously criticised for. I'm treating that third year like a cost of doing business year to get him some extra money while we get a decent asset to shop. If he declines we're in trouble

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

And how many minutes do you think aminu gets this year?

In theory that depends on how much we want to play lineups with Ross and Fournier together. If we play them together 0 minutes per game, we can run a 3 man rotation at the forward spots that would give aminu 30 mpg. 

In practice, if we want to give Fournier 30 mpg and Ross 28mpg, that means they need to take 10 minutes from the small forward spot which is probably coming exclusively from aminu so he'll play 20mpg. 

We didn't see real rotations in the preseason so I'm not sure how we want to play this. 

4 hours ago, ML6 said:

Would you have traded up for Herro at the time of the draft?  If not, it seems that 2 good preseason games has changed your opinion drastically?

Not necessarily Herro, just that type of player in general

32 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Hot take: We trade Okeke, Fournier and future 1st for Bradley Beal during All-Star break 

I mean there's a lot of options for trades once we figure out what is out there and who is available. 

Maybe we go okeke, Isaac (I highly doubt it but for the sake of argument), Vuc and picks for giannis. Maybe we trade Gordon, Bamba, and aminu for Klay Thompson. 

If okeke is good and our vets retain their value we have a lot of long term options to trade for superstars. Toronto didn't say "we can't draft a player or sign a guy because then we'll have too many guys". They said "the young guys have to wait their turn, we'll just play 12 players" and then used that depth to make a series of trades that got them a championship. 

We can be deep as long as we're winning. Can't do that on a crap team.

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Maybe to start. I anticipate we'll flip aminu for cap room before the 2021 trade deadline or the following offseason depending on how capable okeke is year one. 

If aminu plays his entire contract here he's either indispensable, we made another move and still need him, or he was a terrible signing that the front office should be seriously criticised for. I'm treating that third year like a cost of doing business year to get him some extra money while we get a decent asset to shop. If he declines we're in trouble

Interesting discussion. I realize we are young, but what is a reasonable expectation going forward for this roster? Have we assembled a pretty good team with the potential to be good, or are we going to have to make some serious moves and try again?

49 minutes ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

Interesting discussion. I realize we are young, but what is a reasonable expectation going forward for this roster? Have we assembled a pretty good team with the potential to be good, or are we going to have to make some serious moves and try again?

I think 45 wins is a feasible goal for us this year

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I mean there's a lot of options for trades once we figure out what is out there and who is available. 

Maybe we go okeke, Isaac (I highly doubt it but for the sake of argument), Vuc and picks for giannis. Maybe we trade Gordon, Bamba, and aminu for Klay Thompson. 

If okeke is good and our vets retain their value we have a lot of long term options to trade for superstars. Toronto didn't say "we can't draft a player or sign a guy because then we'll have too many guys". They said "the young guys have to wait their turn, we'll just play 12 players" and then used that depth to make a series of trades that got them a championship. 

We can be deep as long as we're winning. Can't do that on a crap team.

On a recent Ringer podcast, Vernon and O’Connor talked for a good 7-8 minutes about how many good, young, packagable players we have in a trade for a superstar. They also mentioned how we have avenues to be good via internal improvement, making us extremely flexible overall.  I think it was Vernon who then commented how startling that was, because it feels like just a year ago the narrative was that we had very little going for us. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

No that's an example of misevaluation. Everyone said the Hawks should have drafted Paul during the draft. He was BPA. They fell in love with the unknown in Marvin because he was an 18 year old bench player on a great team so he could be anything. 

There's significantly more examples of teams drafting for need and ending up missing on talent. Phoenix drafting ayton instead of doncic. Minnesota drafting Dunn instead of hield or Murray. Cleveland drafting Bennett over oladipo because they had Kyrie and Dion waiters. Sacramento drafting Thomas Robinson over Lillard. Minnesota drafting Wes Johnson instead of cousins. 

I don't know if okeke is going to be the best player drafted after 15. A lot of that depends on him. But he's got enough upside to be the best player drafted outside of the top 7 so that makes him a good gamble. 

And with our roster as it is filled with veterans and trying to win I'm not sure why we're worried about a player's position when they're probably not playing a role on this team until year 3 regardless. And we could be a completely different team at that point. 

Because okeke vs NAW comment. I had Nickeil Alexander-Walker over okeke. NAW could have helped with our shot creation issues. 

2 hours ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

Multiple basketball analysts have mentioned we have the right mix of vets, youth, picks, and contracts to jump in and complete a trade the next time a superstar wants out. 

Or we also have the option to flip something like Fournier and aminu for some better veteran that fits better and

Or if a team that wants to be better ends up with  something like the 7th pick in next year's draft we can use Ross to trade up. 

This current team depends mostly on what fultz is. 

Our goal is building around a core 4 or 5 players. Right now the core is Isaac and Gordon. We hope fultz and Bamba join them. If we hit on all 4 we can spend the next few years optimizing the rest of the rotation or looking for opportunities to create a better core like what Toronto did flipping DeRozan for Kawhi. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, LaVar said:

Because okeke vs NAW comment. I had Nickeil Alexander-Walker over okeke. NAW could have helped with our shot creation issues. 

NAW doesn't really project to be a shot creation guy. He's more of a ball mover. You aren't running your offense through him. 

Analytics love okeke. 

Fivethirtyeight had okeke as the 12th best player in the draft, NAW 19th. 

Kevin Pelton had okeke 8th and NAW 20th. 

Obviously these are projections not gospel. 

And it's not like NAW is going to be a bad player. 

But there's objective reasons to think okeke has the upside to be a top 10 player in this draft. Super efficient on offense, super effective on defense, smart, can pass/dribble/shoot. 

There isn't really any reason to be against that pick other than his position. But that might not even be an issue in a year