JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

Fultz is Peyton 2.0. His shot from distance is nowhere near being a reliable piece of his repertoire. I wanted to see something more than that in the first two games but objectively, it is what it is. This team is going to be formidable but Fultz will just be a 2nd unit guy that will give solid minutes and ball distribution. I don’t see much more and yes, I’m making this assessment after 2 pre-season games.

• Downvote 10

16 minutes ago, TRoss43 said:

Fultz is Peyton 2.0. His shot from distance is nowhere near being a reliable piece of his repertoire. I wanted to see something more than that in the first two games but objectively, it is what it is. This team is going to be formidable but Fultz will just be a 2nd unit guy that will give solid minutes and ball distribution. I don’t see much more and yes, I’m making this assessment after 2 pre-season games.

This is a pretty shallow comparison. And I think you completely misevaluate why Payton struggles.

Payton didn't fail because he couldn't shoot. Payton failed because he couldn't shoot, was statistically the worst pick and roll defender in the league, and his offensive output waxed and waned where he'd have weeks where he'd be great followed by long stretches where he'd produce like a backup. He was timid and tentative far too often. 

It's been 2 games and while a fultz who can shoot is preferable to one that can't his success isn't going to be defined by his three point shooting, it's going to be entirely based on his ability to get to the rim and draw a second defender. So far it seems like he's going to be proficient enough at that. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

This is a pretty shallow comparison. And I think you completely misevaluate why Payton struggles.

Payton didn't fail because he couldn't shoot. Payton failed because he couldn't shoot, was statistically the worst pick and roll defender in the league, and his offensive output waxed and waned where he'd have weeks where he'd be great followed by long stretches where he'd produce like a backup. He was timid and tentative far too often. 

It's been 2 games and while a fultz who can shoot is preferable to one that can't his success isn't going to be defined by his three point should hg, it's going to be entirely based on his ability to get to the rim and draw a second defender. So far it seems like he's going to be proficient enough at that. 

Hi shot still looks like it has a hitch. But yeah I agree with it not being the end all be all of him being an effective player. It may limit his ceiling but doesn’t at all render him ineffective. It’s also two preseason games so we can’t even say that his shot is broken. Could just be getting used to adjusting it in a live game. 

Reacting to 2 postseason games is dumb but I'm going to do it anyway -- so far I've noticed that the general "feel" of the team seems to be transitioning from the old guys to the young guys.  Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba have been shining and really have given a glimpse of what the future could look like.  I ultimately expect that Vooch and Fournier will be major contributors, but man, something feels different -- particularly with Gordon. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, IrishCelticHater said:

Hi shot still looks like it has a hitch. But yeah I agree with it not being the end all be all of him being an effective player. It may limit his ceiling but doesn’t at all render him ineffective. It’s also two preseason games so we can’t even say that his shot is broken. Could just be getting used to adjusting it in a live game. 

I don't really know if his shot has a hitch. Typically when I think of a hitch it's a secondary motion that interrupts the normal flow of a movement. Like if you watch an athlete try to run after spraining an ankle you'd notice a hitch in their normal gait. 

Fultz shot has a quick fluid movement with extremely unusual placement and release point. Not sure if it's something resulting from the injury as some sort of residual movement, if it's a sign he's still suffering from some of the symptoms, or if it's designed by trainers as a preventative movement to avoid some sort of stress on his shoulders. 

At any rate we probably shouldn't expect fultz to be a good shooter. But hopefully (as people have said in practices) he can hit enough of them with his unusual motion to be defended out there. 

2 hours ago, TRoss43 said:

I don't think it is fair for you to say that. Completely different players. 

Fultz is a Very high IQ player and is 10 times better defender than Payton. 

Offensively, maybe the are not much different at the moment but yet again I think is unfair on your part to compare a full players offensive nba career to a 2 preseason game sample of Fultz. 

Chill..

3 hours ago, TRoss43 said:

Probably the worst analysis I’ve ever read 

I have yet to see Fultz get to the line, hopefully in the future he finds ways to,  because he just finds his way to the paint consistently, but that doesn't always translate to FTA 

3 hours ago, IrishCelticHater said:

I mean look at Lonzo Ball shooting technique. It is horrendous, yet he still consider a “young man with a bright future”

Fultz shot will improve. He gets to work and practice next to one of the best shooters in this league . 

27 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

Probably the worst analysis I’ve ever read 

Lol. I don't think that should be called an analysis. 

He is likely a sixer’s fan who is still grieving And wants nothing but failure. 

Btw, not all sixers fans are like that.