JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

25 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

We gave/giving  AG how many years?

Some prematurely judged Dipo.

Why are some already writing off Fultz? It’s the craziest **** to me.

People like seeing things before they believe. I can sit here and post individual plays showing great first steps, great passes, great defense, great athleticism. Some people need to see a stand out box score. 

The first time he drops 20 we'll get those same people saying he should start. 

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

People like seeing things before they believe. I can sit here and post individual plays showing great first steps, great passes, great defense, great athleticism. Some people need to see a stand out box score. 

The first time he drops 20 we'll get those same people saying he should start. 

I personally like fultz and want him to do well. I think he is one of the keys to our future success. I dont think he is currently better than MCW, but I think he can be and will be. I am not writing fultz off - personally. I just dont like when people call MCW a bad player and talk about fultz like he is on another level. If you call MCW a bad player. That means, to me, that fultz is also currently a bad player, because their is not a big gap between the two.

Personally, I would not call either player bad. They are bad shooters that contribute in other areas like defense, pushing the ball, playmaking, and rebounding well for their position.

Now Grant last year was a bad player. MCW showed last year that he can make a positive difference on our team. I dont think management wants to resign bad players to the team. Therefore, we brought back a player with value in MCW. I am glad MCW is on the team and think management is too. 

11 minutes ago, LaVar said:

I personally like fultz and want him to do well. I think he is one of the keys to our future success. I dont think he is currently better than MCW, but I think he can be and will be. I am not writing fultz off - personally. I just dont like when people call MCW a bad player and talk about fultz like he is on another level. If you call MCW a bad player. That means, to me, that fultz is also currently a bad player, because their is not a big gap between the two.

Personally, I would not call either player bad. They are bad shooters that contribute in other areas like defense, pushing the ball, playmaking, and rebounding well for their position.

Now Grant last year was a bad player. MCW showed last year that he can make a positive difference on our team. I dont think management wants to resign bad players to the team. Therefore, we brought back a player with value in MCW. I am glad MCW is on the team and think management is too. 

MCW is a bad player. We just know how to get the most out of him. He was a negative player his last year in Philly. He was a negative player in Chicago. He was a negative player in Charlotte. He was a massively negative player in Houston. 

He was a positive player here last year and in Milwaukee. Similar teams. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

MCW is a bad player. We just know how to get the most out of him. He was a negative player his last year in Philly. He was a negative player in Chicago. He was a negative player in Charlotte. He was a massively negative player in Houston. 

He was a positive player here last year and in Milwaukee. Similar teams. 

Philly does not really count because they were tanking and took the talent from around MCW too lose games deliberate. (The process) He actually played well and was an impact player. He was rookie of the year as well. I think hinkie took a dump in his pants when MCW lead the 76ers to 4 wins in their first 6 games. (76ers made a lot of trades designed to tank.)

Him being a positive player for us now, would mean he is  a good player for us - not a bad one. He is not on the other teams now. It could mean he is a better fit for us verses the other teams. A players success and impact can be different in different systems. (One reason fultz may do better with us aswell.) A example of this would be turk leaving the magic for the Raptors.  He was good for us and our system, but sucked on the raptors and the suns. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, LaVar said:

Philly does not really count because they were tanking and took the talent from around MCW too lose games deliberate. (The process) He actually played well and was an impact player. He was rookie of the year as well. I think hinkie took a dump in his pants when MCW lead the 76ers to 4 wins in their first 6 games. (76ers made a lot of trades designed to tank.)

Him being a positive player for us now, would mean he is  a good player for us - not a bad one. He is not on the other teams now. It could mean he is a better fit for us verses the other teams. A players success and impact can be different in different systems. (One reason fultz may do better with us aswell.) A example of this would be turk leaving the magic for the Raptors.  He was good for us and our system, but sucked on the raptors and the suns. 

I'm talking about each guy in a vacuum. Fultz is a better basketball player than MCW right now. 

We can't really judge how fultz works specific to the magic yet because he hasn't played as a part of the regular rotation yet. 

I am not too sure why we're even discussing if Fultz sucks yet.. We have him for a two full seasons (if he's healthy), lets just wait until the end of next season to discuss if he's worth keeping around. This conversation really does remind me of the Arroyo vs Nelson days though lol. 

3 minutes ago, JustBeCool said:

I am not too sure why we're even discussing if Fultz sucks yet.. We have him for a two full seasons (if he's healthy), lets just wait until the end of next season to discuss if he's worth keeping around. This conversation really does remind me of the Arroyo vs Nelson days though lol. 

lol

It's a rare occurrence when a team drafts a guy as high as Philly drafted Fultz, then let him go for nothing and then that guy becomes a gamechanger for another team. My early commentary on Fultz(that everyone disagreed with) was that he did not look like a guy who was going to dramatically move the needle for the Magic. All the glowing comments on here about how athletic and explosive Fultz was after a couple games was just downright silly. People refused to believe that we had another PG that can't shoot and turns the ball over too much. He looks like a guy who had his original team punt on instead of continuing a seemingly fruitless process of rehabilitation. We all want him to be an integral part of the Magic's future. We need him to be. It's not unfair to say that he has shown very little so far to make anyone he will be. This is the NBA. Gotta bring more than athleticism and an occasional turnaround jumper from 12 ft. Maybe in time....

• Downvote 2

Doesn't the Sentinel usually do a big preseason spread on the Magic around the time the season starts?  I haven't seen that yet this year.

My issue is with calling MCW a bad player. I don't look at stats. What I do know is what I see happening in a game. I have not seen enough of Fultz and what he brings to the table, but what I like about MCW is what he brought to the team last season after being traded to the Magic.

For me, he brought added energy to the team. When the Magic went on that run later in the season, I found myself enjoying watching him pushing the ball, his excellent defense and driving the paint for layups which was something I had not seen for a while from other members of the team who settled for long jumpers and 3 pt. attempts.

It wasn't just MCW's energy, he was a decent scorer in his role.

Yes, MCW received a lot of "wows" from me last season. And most of all, I enjoyed watching the games again, not just because of MCW but for the way the team played as a whole.

Edit:  All I know about Fultz are the video clips that were posted by members of the board and from watching him play in preseason. So there has not been much (eye test) for me to make judgement.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TRoss43 said:

It's a rare occurrence when a team drafts a guy as high as Philly drafted Fultz, then let him go for nothing and then that guy becomes a gamechanger for another team. My early commentary on Fultz(that everyone disagreed with) was that he did not look like a guy who was going to dramatically move the needle for the Magic. All the glowing comments on here about how athletic and explosive Fultz was after a couple games was just downright silly. People refused to believe that we had another PG that can't shoot and turns the ball over too much. He looks like a guy who had his original team punt on instead of continuing a seemingly fruitless process of rehabilitation. We all want him to be an integral part of the Magic's future. We need him to be. It's not unfair to say that he has shown very little so far to make anyone he will be. This is the NBA. Gotta bring more than athleticism and an occasional turnaround jumper from 12 ft. Maybe in time....

I mean, the athleticism and explosiveness arguments are correct— he’s demonstrated that consistently. He’s an athletic, explosive point guard who’s inefficient and commits turnovers; both parts are true, and both parts shouldn’t be dismissed. 

My opinion is that people who thought Fultz was going to produce some dramatic improvement by himself were being unrealistic. As of right now, he’s an improvement to our PG depth and has been integral to the offensive success of our bench unit. He’s still a rookie, so the inefficiency and turnover issues are somewhat expected for a young PG: 

De’Aaron Fox shot 41.2% from the court and committed 2.4 turnovers a game his rookie year. 

Oladipo shot 41.9% from the court and committed 3.2 turnovers a game. (I know Oladipo’s a combo guard, but he plays in a similar fashion to Fultz and was listed as a PG for his rookie year by Pro Basketball Reference, too.)

Over his 33 game sample in the regular season, Fultz shot 41.4% from the court and committed 1.3 turnovers a game.

Both Fox and Oladipo have improved upon these areas and turned into good players— turnovers and efficiency is typically a weakness for rookie players, which Fultz essentially is. We can expect Fultz to improve in those two areas, as players tend to do as they adapt to the NBA. I’m much more concerned about his health and his shot never improving than his inefficiency and turnovers.

Basically, we should treat Fultz as a rookie this year. He’ll be an improvement to the 2nd unit, and as he finds out how to finish around the rim and becomes less turnover prone, we’ll get a better feel for who Fultz is.

(Philly gave up on Fultz mainly for cap reasons, so that argument really doesn’t hold up with me personally.)

• Upvote 1