JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

19 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think his performance this preseason is bad. I just think it doesn't make sense to play him as a shooting guard next to fultz. He's not a good player, he's just a really good player in a very well defined role and outside that role he's problematic. 

That's what I was alluding to, but didn't come right out and say it. As I mentioned in my previous post, I think MCW played better next to DJ.

7 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think his performance this preseason is bad. I just think it doesn't make sense to play him as a shooting guard next to fultz. He's not a good player, he's just a really good player in a very well defined role and outside that role he's problematic. 

I would think he’d be reserved for injury duty or situational defensive lineups. 

20 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm not sure we know what Gordon is based on the preseason. I need a few weeks of regular season performance to confirm that. 

That Detroit game was still really eye opening. 

When he's interested in going after the shots that require more effort but are more advantageous to him he's really really really good. But he spends so much time taking step back threes which is just pointless. 

I was just watching AG's after game press video and I got the sense that the preseason was sort of wearing on them. They are probably chomping at the bit and probably can't wait until the games start for real. I think we will see much more energy and focus this Wednesday. Excited!!

On 10/18/2019 at 2:02 PM, TrueMagicFan07 said:

. . . watching guys as they score layups at the basket.  (See above quote)

I noticed that several times, and said to myself that Miami is having layup drills under the basket with no one there to stop it. There was little to no effort by Vuc to defend and grab rebounds. What do you call it, "pedestrian"?

As I said about Vuc last year, when he was playing like an All Star . . .it was "Fool's Gold". After making the playoffs and losing out in the first round, I figured he would come back down to earth this season [same as with Fournier].

preseason...

On 10/18/2019 at 2:42 PM, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Agreed. Last season, MCW and Ross were 2 of the bench players that helped us to stay close in games. He played very good defense, and because he played an aggressive/uptempo style, it brought other teammates along with him. MCW's offense was not that bad either.

In my opinion, I think his pre-season performance this year has been affected by the rotations and the other teammates that he is forced to play with. I guess you can call it chemistry. I think he played better last year when he played alongside of DJ or when he was running the offense as the point guard.

your right. He had the best point play on the team and is currently better than fultz. Plus, he is a top 2 defender on the team. The issue is DJ is a knock down shooter and fultz is being groomed for the future. Fultz provides a lot of what MCW provides, but with a little better offense. MCW deserves mins, but there will not be space for him in the 9 man rotation. 

On 10/18/2019 at 3:07 PM, ?4thewin said:

I dont think MCW is a bad player. He pushes the ball, can pass, he can get in the lane, and he is a elite defender. With his added weight, he can finish a little better at the rim. (most players are better with defined roles.)

If he is bad, than what is fultz?

5 hours ago, LaVar said:

I dont think MCW is a bad player. He pushes the ball, can pass, he can get in the lane, and he is a elite defender. With his added weight, he can finish a little better at the rim. (most players are better with defined roles.)

If he is bad, than what is fultz?

Fultz is better than MCW. 

55 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Fultz is better than MCW. 

Normally, you do more elaborating. As of today, what makes Fultz better than MCW and how big of a gap are you saying he is better?

13 hours ago, LaVar said:

Normally, you do more elaborating. As of today, what makes Fultz better than MCW and how big of a gap are you saying he is better?

It's only a slight gap today that should grow with time. 

MCW has one thing going for him and that's defense. And the gap between the two there isn't big enough to overcome how much better fultz is as a passer or as an offensive player in general. 

MCW shot 34% from the field with us last year and 16% from 3. So he's worse at the things we often cite as potential fatal flaws for fultz. 

31 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's only a slight gap today that should grow with time. 

MCW has one thing going for him and that's defense. And the gap between the two there isn't big enough to overcome how much better fultz is as a passer or as an offensive player in general. 

MCW shot 34% from the field with us last year and 16% from 3. So he's worse at the things we often cite as potential fatal flaws for fultz. 

I agree with you on this