JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

13 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

How can you predict what our needs are though? Toronto had no need for siakam as they had just invested in Patterson and Ibaka. Now siakam is their most important player. 

What exactly do you think NAW is going to be in the NBA?

It is not a prediction when you return 87% of the same roster and that was your weakness the year before. The only addition we have is the wild card Fultz. There is a reason we were last in FTs and at our best middle of the pack on offense. 

Form me, NAW projects to be a player like Jalen Rose or Spencer Dinwiddie or he could be better. His upside is no worse then okeke to me. 

11 hours ago, Magicpassion said:

Why can’t we ever find these shooters? The last one that comes to mind is JJ Reddick. 

We have Okeke... lol

2 hours ago, LaVar said:

It is not a prediction when you return 87% of the same roster and that was your weakness the year before. The only addition we have is the wild card Fultz. There is a reason we were last in FTs and at our best middle of the pack on offense. 

Form me, NAW projects to be a player like Jalen Rose or Spencer Dinwiddie or he could be better. His upside is no worse then okeke to me. 

Sure, but by that logic, wasn’t the back up PF spot an identified need by the front office? Or at least enough of a need that WeltHam decided to go after Aminu.

I get the frustration over the lack of playmaking, but Okeke easily projects to be able to slide into Aminu’s spot as a back up 4 who can play the 3 in a pinch. 

The lack of playmaking can be a need while still considering upgrading the back up PF spot as a need; both can be true at the same time.

6 hours ago, LaVar said:

Yes. This is exactly the problem. You're looking at draft picks based on what they can accomplish today or this season and that's the wrong way to look at it. 

We don't know if fultz is a long term answer at point guard.

We don't know if Bamba is a long term answer at center. 

We don't know if Gordon, aminu, Vucevic, Ross, etc are going to be on the team in a year or two because we're at the point in our rebuild where we have enough depth to make mid season 3 for 1 trades to raise our ceiling without wrecking our ability to win that year. 

How does NAW fix the free throw issue? He's not particularly good at getting to the line because he doesn't have a good first step and isn't a particularly good athlete which is why he struggles finishing. He's going to be scoring on jumpers and floaters. 

And of course we were stupid for not drafting NAW if he's Rose or Dinwiddie because those are borderline all star players. 

And while that isn't outside the realm of possibilities with his career he's much more likely to be something closer to Austin Rivers. 

The way you're looking at things though doesn't really make sense because you're looking at what a rookie is going to do to fix our weaknesses this year when that's not what rookies do. Rookies make your team worse. Even if NAW is a future all star he's making his team worse this year. Doncic made his team worse last year. So did Trae, Sexton, and so on. The only rookies that had a positive impact in real minutes last year were Shamet and Kurucs. Two players in limited and well defined roles where they weren't asked to do much outside of what they're good at. But those two also aren't raising the offensive profile of their teams. They just played a 7th man in the rotation role like a typical 7th man veteran guys.  

So basically you don't draft players based on short term perception of needs because teams change and needs change often and rookies only rarely are capable of fixing those needs. You draft players based on what they'll start giving you beginning in the end of year 3. And with shorter contracts you can turn over most of your team in that timeframe. 

We only have 4 players remaining from 3 years ago and two of those guys are transitioning out soon. 

3 years from now if everything goes great for us in an ideal scenario we'll be paying fultz and Isaac something like 55% of the cap, Bamba or somebody at least will be getting starting center money. We'll have somebody in the early years of their contract starting at shooting guard. 

Gordon is going to be 27 and unrestricted. 

Okeke and another rookie will be entering year 3 of their rookie deals. 

I don't know that Gordon is going to be here. We might not be able to afford him. It's his last contract where he'll be highly sought after. He might want to go back to the west coast. Not many guys play 9+ years with the same team. 

41 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Multiple outlets reporting it, though it could all be from a single source. 

He is out of his mind. The offer he got was a fair offer. 
guys like that you don’t  need in your team.

22 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

He is out of his mind. The offer he got was a fair offer. 
guys like that you don’t  need in your team.

No. 

The Celtics offered him 4/80 now because he's likely worth a little bit more in free agency if things stay mostly the same. 

If he improves he could be worth significantly more. 

Boston made the offer because it's a good deal for Boston, not Brown. 

• Upvote 1