JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

22 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Why is that?

The same reason iwundu won't.

We're playing a 9 man rotation. Those 9 guys are augustin-Fournier-Isaac-Gordon-Vucevic fultz-Ross-aminu-Bamba. 

And unless I'm vastly underestimating how good he'll be year 1, the 10th man for wing spots would probably be iwundu over him because rookies are generally negative players and iwundu is steady and plays how we want to play. 

NAW is one of those players that's well rounded but not great at any one thing and those are the types of guys who show a little better in exhibition settings but take a little while to become a good rotation player. 

Look at the rookie years for Delon Wright, Tyus Jones, Malik Beasley, Derrick White, Dejounte Murray, Rozier, Oubre, Gary Harris, KCP, Reggie Bullock, Jeremy lamb, Fournier and so on. 

Also it seems pretty likely he won't play much for New Orleans considering they have lonzo, jrue, Ingram, jj, Moore, Hart, and Frank Jackson competing for minutes at the 1 and 2. Unless they signed JJ to play 14 mpg I imagine they'll have a rotation where lonzo or jrue are on the court at all times. 

Basically, the "why draft okeke, another power forward, when we could have just drafted NAW" feels a lot like this year's version of "how dumb we are for drafting Isaac instead of Dennis Smith jr or Malik monk". (Which I should add is something I was very vocal about)

There's a lot of reasons to expect okeke is going to be better than NAW down the road. And power forwards that can defend and shoot at a high level are scarce while 6'5 combo guards are available in almost every draft

10 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Basically, the "why draft okeke, another power forward, when we could have just drafted NAW" feels a lot like this year's version of "how dumb we are for drafting Isaac instead of Dennis Smith jr or Malik monk". (Which I should add is something I was very vocal about)

There's a lot of reasons to expect okeke is going to be better than NAW down the road. And power forwards that can defend and shoot at a high level are scarce while 6'5 combo guards are available in almost every draft

There is only so many mins to develop players at the same position. So with out a trade, it seems counter productive. I agree with going with best available, but sometimes teams shot them selves in the foot by over looking talented playmakers.

An example of this is the hawks 2005 draft. They drafted marvin williams when the needed a pg. The next two players drafted were chris paul and deron willaims. They already had jason "j.smoove" smith, al harrington, and josh childress, and joe johnson.  They kept bring in similar talent like lorenzen wright, shelden wilaims, Zaza Pachulia, and al Hartford.  They won games on talent, but never went far because the team really did not fit in the playoffs. 

This is an example of a team not putting a premium on guard play and playmaking and it cost them.

11 minutes ago, LaVar said:

There is only so many mins to develop players at the same position. So with out a trade, it seems counter productive. I agree with going with best available, but sometimes teams shot them selves in the foot by over looking talented playmakers.

An example of this is the hawks 2005 draft. They drafted marvin williams when the needed a pg. The next two players drafted were chris paul and deron willaims. They already had jason "j.smoove" smith, al harrington, and josh childress, and joe johnson.  They kept bring in similar talent like lorenzen wright, shelden wilaims, Zaza Pachulia, and al Hartford.  They won games on talent, but never went far because the team really did not fit in the playoffs. 

This is an example of a team not putting a premium on guard play and playmaking and it cost them.

No that's an example of misevaluation. Everyone said the Hawks should have drafted Paul during the draft. He was BPA. They fell in love with the unknown in Marvin because he was an 18 year old bench player on a great team so he could be anything. 

There's significantly more examples of teams drafting for need and ending up missing on talent. Phoenix drafting ayton instead of doncic. Minnesota drafting Dunn instead of hield or Murray. Cleveland drafting Bennett over oladipo because they had Kyrie and Dion waiters. Sacramento drafting Thomas Robinson over Lillard. Minnesota drafting Wes Johnson instead of cousins. 

I don't know if okeke is going to be the best player drafted after 15. A lot of that depends on him. But he's got enough upside to be the best player drafted outside of the top 7 so that makes him a good gamble. 

And with our roster as it is filled with veterans and trying to win I'm not sure why we're worried about a player's position when they're probably not playing a role on this team until year 3 regardless. And we could be a completely different team at that point. 

11 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

Tyler Herro looks insane. I wonder if this is gonna be how he plays over the course of a real season. 

I think so. He's a natural with the ball in his hands and plays with tremendous confidence.